dcsimg

How do you use your phone?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 162 total)
  • Author

John mentioned taking a picture of the cheet sheet Moze lost and it made me laugh. I do that all the time. Pictures of a device before I remove the wires, of course before and after pics, and also I have used it multiple times to take a picture inside a wall or floor cavity to see whats in there.

Also the flashlight app gets used a ton.

Buildcalc is my go to calculator and dropbox is great to keep my files and pics.

So how else to you guys use your phones for work related stuff?

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

I talk on it… LOL

Yeah I take pictures of my work for my personal portfolio or to send to people, show potential customers what we have done, send questionable things to the boss, etc.

Other than that I use the flashlight.

I like technology to an extent but I feel we are quickly being plugged in too much while disconnecting from real life……as I type on my laptop, on the internet, on a forum…….LOL

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

The flashlight on my phone get used a lot. I also use it for pics of something I am taking apart, inside walls, before & after pics, pictures of damage and rot.

I have the DeWalt Mobile Pro that gets used a good bit – I have been considering trying out BuildCalc, the DeWalt app isn’t bad but I think BuildCalc will be more suited to my needs.

Lots of e-mails

I have the PayPal Here app that allows to process credit cards; this has been used heavily as of late.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I have the PayPal Here app that allows to process credit cards; this has been used heavily as of late.

Does that also charge a percent for transactions?

I’m with you guy’s as well. Lots of picture, phone calls, text, calculator, internet, and on and on. I really wish they would fix the quirks in the Bosch app.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

Does that also charge a percent for transactions?

PayPal charges 2.7% per transaction, I pass this on to my customers. I tell them upfront that if they want to use a credit or debit card there is an additional 2.7% fee. I have never had anybody balk at the fee – last month a little more than half my business revenue was processed with the paypal card reader.

Paypal gives you the card reader for free – it just plugs into the headphone jack on a smartphone. https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/credit-card-reader?mpch=ads&mplx=3484-158110-2056-0

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

redwood
    Pro

I really don’t push my phone’s capabilities too far. I have a dedicated camera with me at most times, so not a lot of picture taking. I do use it to check emails, though I don’t send many emails from it. I do use the light at times, but that’s at night when I’m roaming the hallways at home. My phone does double as a alarm clock/radio at night, while it’s charging.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

PayPal charges 2.7% per transaction

So like square. Well, square is 2.75% and I do the same thing with telling customers upfront the fee’s.

My phone does double as a alarm clock/radio at night, while it’s charging.

I do the alarm clock thing as well.

Yeah we have square and their reader. It only gets used a few times a year. We add the fee. Also I use it as my alarm clock/watch as well. I haven’t worn a watch in 10 years.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Email, text, phone prob in that order.

Then photos, Music, calculator

We also use them as remotes in the house. And the kid plays games on them.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Now that I have a phone that takes good pics I use it all the time, And yeah, I use it a lot for taking before pics of something with a lot of wiring that it may be a while before I get it back together. And if I don’t have my reading glasses with me I use it a lot on zoom to read like a label or something in a store,

Just the other day I couldn’t read how much air pressure my trailer tires took so I snapped a pic of it to read. I didn’t want a smartphone when I got it but after seeing what they can do I’ll never go back to a dumb one.

alarm clock, flashlight, calls, texts, and emails as far as work goes.

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

Pictures. Lots of pictures. When I remember that is. I send out many emails between the phone and iPad for that matter flashlight app all the time. Calculator. Texting and calls obviously. Music to get through days I’m doing things by myself or using loud tools. I’m sure I’m missing a munch of stuff

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Phone calls, text, email , photos, notes, sone construction apps also.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

And if I don’t have my reading glasses with me I use it a lot on zoom to read like a label or something in a store,

Now I don’t feel so bad, I have do the same thing. Or ask my daughter, lol.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I use it for phone calls and sometimes texting.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m using mine a lot now for the ‘hotspot’ to get on the internet up at camp to run my laptop, it’s the only way to get service up there

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

I use it for phone calls and sometimes texting.

seems reasonable.

I’m using mine a lot now for the ‘hotspot’ to get on the internet up at camp to run my laptop, it’s the only way to get service up there

What about getting one of those air cards?

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

I tend to use my phone for taking lots of pictures in the air. As I see issues with the exterior on the building I will take shots and text them to my boss who can then talk with engineers or building management

A Working Pro since 2004

I use it for the normal, talking and texting. Use the calculator and flashlight a good amount. I have an app like build calc that’s pretty cheap that I use sometimes. I’m waiting to see which phone I get for my next upgrade to figure out which operating system I want to get build calc for.

Oh, and browsing forums at lunch… 🙂

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I guess I should say all our internet is off of our cell phones. LTE in the city so it’s super fast. We hotspot our whole house.

They cap us at 10gb at the fast speed and then slow us down for the remainder of the billing period. As long as we don’t watch a lot of streaming vids it works really well. And our high speed is always with us.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 162 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.630 seconds