dcsimg

How do you store your hole saws?

This topic contains 14 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  smallerstick 1 year ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

How do you guys store your various hole saws?

I am trying to figure out the best way to organize various hole saws.

I have a few dozens of hole saws – Milwaukee, some red, some white, some vintage, some Lenox and other brands, of varying sizes. I still have the original box where there is a circle depression for each size, but over the years I lost some sizes, and have multiple of other sizes. Then add to that carbide tipped versions to drill through tiles. Also diamond blade ones for porcelain tiles and marble. I am wondering if I should store all my hole saws in one portable box, but not sure how to do it to make it easily accessible and compact. Looking for ideas.

Masterbosch
    Pro
    Wayne, NJ

I have the 25 piece bosch holesaw kit and it comes with case. But if you have random size holesaw will be your best bet to get katzen foam and make some holes with the holesaw yo yhe foam should fit perfectly tight

plusoneconstructionllc@gmail.com

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I keep mine in the blow molded case they came in…if you are looking for compactness, stack them up and fit them into a box of some sort.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I just have mine kicking around in a tool box drawer… but it doesn’t go anywhere and I rarely use them. They’re mostly stacked inside each other as tall as the drawer allows (usually two or three) so they don’t take up as much space, and then kept on their flat side so they can’t roll around. I’d love to get a full set some day and store them nicely, but for now I just keep my odd ball sizes free floating with a few other things.

Charlie

Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Yup right in the case they came in is mine live.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

I have the 25 piece bosch holesaw kit and it comes with case. But if you have random size holesaw will be your best bet to get katzen foam and make some holes with the holesaw yo yhe foam should fit perfectly tight

i keep them in the original case as well. might put them in a lboxx one day with foam

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

How do you guys store your various hole saws?

Same here I have the Bosch set in the blow molded case. It works really good.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

If you have one set then keep in their own case.

I have several sets. Wood, bimetal, carbide, diamond, and the wood I have a normal and deep, and some I have missing sizes and duplicate sizes. The diamond ones I have dozens of just 1/4″, 1/2″ and 3/4″. Right now I store them in four individual cases. Two of them are molded cases, one of them is an old vintage milwaukee metal case 6″X3″, and then a Dewalt drill case for all the rest of the odd sizes and duplicates. It’s too clumpsy. I am thinking all of them should be in one box.

But if you have random size holesaw will be your best bet to get katzen foam and make some holes with the holesaw yo yhe foam should fit perfectly tight

The Kaizen foam from Fastcap would work great in an l-boxx1 or 2 if you do not have a molded case that works.

Doobie
    Pro

I keep all mine except for the diamond grit tile ones in an L-Boxx 2. I probably need to move to an L-Boxx 3 if I get any more as it is getting hard to close the lid at times now. I like dedicated portable storage for things like that.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

There is also another box just for a single adjustable HolePro hole saw for ceiling lights that one alone is one big box.

May be I should get rid of duplicate versions, shallow versions and beater versions.

Or have a 5 gallon bucket I toss in all semi worn and duplicate sawzall blades, hole saws and bits.

CB
    Pro

This is a great question… “easily accessible and compact”.

Pick one.

Can’t have both.

The blow molded cases are easily accessible, but are not space efficient. They may be fine for folks who only have the hole saws that came in a kit, but when you have an inventory of hole saws such as Miamicuse describes, which is similar to what I also have, the blow molded cases do not work.

First, when the size best suited for the next job isn’t included in the kit, one has to get that size separately, and now how do you store it when it won’t fit in the pre formed blow hole? And so the problem begins.

Thirty five years and a myriad menagerie of applications later, dozens of different sized, depth, and tooth sets of hole saws have been accumulated, easily overwhelming a fleet of space bloating blow molded kit boxes. Furthermore, when needing a hole saw, it is best to be able to see the entire inventory of hole saws at once, rather than open this box, remember to check that box, and oops I left that box back at the shop because I didn’t think I needed that size etc.

Sometimes, even if you know the only size needed is to prep for a pipe, but the hole needs to be made for the larger diameter of the fitting rather than the smaller diameter of the pipe, yet the hole for the pipe was already drilled, you’ll then want the hole saw size for the pipe reversed on a double arbor as a guide to center the larger hole saw size for the fitting neatly. So you’ll need both hole saws on hand, plus the self centering arbor, which didn’t come in any kit.

And like Miamicuse points out, one can have many hole saw sizes of the same diameter, but with different characteristics. Shallow, deep, diamond grit, bimetal, etc.

Or one can have many hole saws of the exact same diameter, with the exact same characteristics… I bought dozen Bosch hole saws of the same diameter when doing a job that called for drilling through steel. Burned through most of those on that job and had a few left over. What to do with them? They don’t fit in a kit box. I eventually used those up and bought a dozen more for the next steel drilling job, making for a greater surplus of that size until depleted.

Same size hole saws do not neatly nest into each other compactly. Furthermore, hole saws which are but one step above or one step below their nearest neighboring diameter also do not nest neatly inside of each other, because of inward and outward cant of the tooth sets. It is not possible to nest two different size hole saws that are only 1/8″ apart in diameter, so if you have a 4″ and a 4 1/8″ hole saw, you’ll need two different stacks right there. Multiply that all the way down to 9/16″.

It is a challenge storing a truly complete set of hole saws in a manner that is both easily accessible and compact.

I keep mine in a standard tool box, dedicated to hole saws. The bottom of the tool box has four or five nested stacks, with each stack skipping a size by 1/8″ in order to clear teeth when nesting. I used to keep all arbors and smaller hole saws in a top tray in the tool box, but I eventually had to change tool boxes to a larger model, which didn’t have a tray.

So I put all the arbors in a clear plastic box that fits on top of the hole saw stacks. I use vinyl vacuum caps on the tips of all the pilot bits to keep them from getting dull banging into their brethren.

All the hole saws now fit compactly in one hand carry tool box. A very heavy to carry tool box I might add, due to the sheer density of the steel cups stacked inside of each other in several pyramidic piles.

However, as neat and compact as this storage system may be, it doesn’t work well. The hole saws are not easily accessible. I have to de stack each pile to find the exact size I need, because when it is time to put everything back, the effort is more to fit everything back in, not put everything back exactly how it was. Because how it was always changes. A hole saw can get too dull for drilling through one type of substrate, but still be usable for drywall, so another stack is mined for the same diameter with fresher teeth.

In an instant, the tool box is surrounded with a smattering of hole saws flowing out of it like lava while trying to find the perfect size and sharpness needed for the application. And then those all need to be quickly put back so as not to create a trip hazard for someone else, or simply to get the box secured back in the tool truck. I do not consider the single box solution optimal, but as short as we are on time, we are even shorter on space.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

For my purpose I leave them in the blow molded case, plus I have a small plastic cheaper case for the odd sizes

I use the blow molded case, and I have a couple of larger sizes floating loose, and a couple left hanging around my drill press for shop projects.

Will

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

I keep them all in a tool box with a lift out tray. The bottom holds most of the cutters as well as some long brad points that are hard to store otherwise. The trays hold mandrels and some duplicate spade bits. With different styles of mandrels and several brands of cutters, it helps to have everything in one place.

There is one small set in a blow mold case because it uses a unique mandrel. Standardization would be a good move for hole saw makers.

Attachments:

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.672 seconds