dcsimg

how do you organize your tools?

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 115 total)
  • Author

I meant to say meter.

Rob
    Pro
    Birmingham, Alabama

Pardon me, but what is a meter?

A meter is an instrument to measure voltage
    Amps. It measures resistance, temperature and performs
    Other functions as well
    Dmm for short
    Digital multimeter

It keeps fools like me alive when playing with electricity 🙂

John S

I was just wondering about shop-built boxes while browsing the responses. I like Pete’s idea
    > Anyhow: I started years ago building boxes out of 3/8 ply scrap for my tools. All the same size 12w x 16t x 24long.

I think I’d also make some half-height for smaller / flatter items.

I have a few boxes I’ve made. My sandpaper storage is like this with nailed and glued scrap ply. I made oval hand holes in the ends. I think if I toted out in the weather or needed to stack, I might make some slip-over lids (like a shoe box or copier paper box)

… I meant to add, I’ve also built a couple of Japanese Carpenters (transport) boxes that I’ve used on mission trips and when I taught classes offsite. Very elegant stuff. The lid slides and locks in place without any waste or hardware.

There’s a good thread on them here: http://lumberjocks.com/mafe/blog/30264

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

I think wooden boxes are great for shop storage. Has anyone designed a box system for smaller screws and nuts?

woodman_412

I’ve thought about making some wooden boxes for some of my power tools that don’t have good cases. A shop-made L-boxx of sorts.

I use these for small parts storage Brian.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/ToolStorage/PartsStorage/PRD~0581045P/Mastercraft+Parts+Organizer.jsp?locale=en

Dan

danpattison.com

I like those kind of storage system for smaller nuts and screws, but I like the idea of integrating the storage into my tool storage with l-boxxes, although the price difference is really large

John S

woodman_412

I had a low cost, low tech idea for transporting power tool cases in groups to achieve a similar outcome to an L-boxx system. I had a collapsing bin kicking around the house so I thought I would give it a try with some of my existing power tool cases. It lets me carry them in larger groups which cuts down on the number of trips back and forth to the truck and where the bin can be collapsed it doesn’t take up much space when it’s not needed either on site or in the shop. Bins that have a little more depth to them would also be stackable. Not quite as good as an L-boxx system but until the day I upgrade it might just do the trick.

Dan

danpattison.com

Dan that is a really great cheap alternative. The tricky thing is finding bins for fitting all of the wide variety of cases… Some of mine are huge and others like my Kreg Jig case are tiny

John S

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

those collapsable boxes are great dan, though they dont hold up to much abuse. i use to use one for my groceries instead of using bags

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

DaveG.
    Pro

Most stuff is organized on the backpack (hand tools, crimpers, small parts in mini plano tray.

7? large Snapware totes, neatly stacked, easy to see contents (lifetime warranty) holding all consumables organized by different topic:

White faceplates and boxes
    Ivory faceplates and boxes
    rough-in materials
    Network patch cables (1ft, 3ft, 5ft, 7ft, 14ft, 25ft, 50ft)
    Phone related (cords and termination blocks)
    CCTV / Access control
    Security
    HDMI Cables (3ft, 15ft, 25ft, 30ft)

8-10 Plano trays organized for all small parts (screws, tapcons, lag bolts, cable fittings, adapters, jacks, anchors, expansion bolts, etc..)

Small Bosch bag holds other misc 12v tools that aren’t in backpack.

Brian asked: I think wooden boxes are great for shop storage. Has anyone designed a box system for smaller screws and nuts?

After several other tries, I finally picked up some Harbor Freight storage boxes (Stanley makes a similar one available at big box stores) If you buy several (8, 15, and 20 bin versions), you can swap the internal boxes around. I keep nuts, bolts, screws, and other hardware sorted in them. They stack well, carry well, and I banged up a box that they slip into to keep them from sliding all over the place in the van.

http://www.harborfreight.com/19-bin-portable-parts-storage-case-93928.html

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

Bob, I have a few of those, but was looking for something with larger bins. Those are great for nuts and bolts, but fall short on larger objects.

DaveG.
    Pro

What kind of “larger objects”?

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

wire nuts, staples, conduit fittings, small drill bit cases

That HF box is really great for small parts… especially when you can grab it for super dirt cheap

John S

woodman_412

Jeff, you’re right, those collapsable bins don’t hold up to much abuse. If I’m going to use them they would probably need to be replaced periodically since they are pretty light duty. I might just use the one for now to hold some of my smaller cases such as nailers just to save a few trips back and forth.

This is one of the cases that I use to carry screws and parts with me. Canadian Tire has them on sale right now for $3.99 each and I’ve been using this one for a couple years. Keeps all my most used screws and fasteners right at my fingertips. I have a couple more of them for parts that I don’t use as often too.

Dan

danpattison.com

Attachments:
    jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

right on dan, i picked up some of the containes that have individual bins for each fastener.. i should pick up some of those labels though.. maybe today ill be downtown right next to staples

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 115 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.538 seconds