dcsimg

How do you clean your rusty machinesor tools

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 95 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  theamcguy 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 96 total)
  • Author

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I put a fence up for a lady who had rust free garden tools. She said she soaked them in vinegar every year to remove the rust

Sure she didn’t mean ‘corrosion’?

Kevin.

Support your local VIKING.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I put a fence up for a lady who had rust free garden tools. She said she soaked them in vinegar every year to remove the rust

Vinegar works too. It just takes longer than some of the commercially available products, but is a lot cheaper.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Vinegar works too. It just takes longer than some of the commercially available products, but is a lot cheaper.

Vinegar works really well. Add salt to boost the performance and make it work quicker.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without loss of enthusiasm.
    ...... Winston Churchill

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Vinegar works really well. Add salt to boost the performance and make it work quicker.

how long does this normally take? hours or days?

How rusty is it?

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

How rusty is it?

Vinegar in my experience is a long term soak, the longer the better. Days to weeks to remove the rust. Drop it in check on every few days until the all the rust is gone. Molasses is the same way. I keep a 5 gal bucket mixed and drop stuff in all the time and in a week maybe more rust free.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

For moderately rusty items I usually scrape with a razor first then an overnight in the vinegar/salt bath will clean them up.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without loss of enthusiasm.
    ...... Winston Churchill

For moderately rusty items I usually scrape with a razor first then an overnight in the vinegar/salt bath will clean them up.

Good idea to decrease the time

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I can get some things to clean up over night but not many, especially if they have a lot of pits.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

lol i may have to try this with some stuff that have gotten rusty. I’ll have to pick up some razor blades, its pretty hard to find these days.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Feed molasses works just as well but it is a little tougher to find. Feed supply stores carry it and a gallon will last a long time. You mix it 7 parts water to 1 part molasses.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Feed molasses works just as well but it is a little tougher to find. Feed supply stores carry it and a gallon will last a long time. You mix it 7 parts water to 1 part molasses.

what is the difference between regular molasses and feed molasses? i am assuming feed molasses is of a lower quality compared to regular molasses?

teskopk
    Pro
    Calgary, AB

With chemicals, I’ll use spray nine for surface rust, and I move on to layout fluid remover for tougher stuff. I’ll usually use a scotch brite pad in combination with either one, maroon or grey.

For bigger jobs or worse contamination I’ll go with soda blasting (plain baking soda), bead or sand blasting for the heavier duty stuff. If it’s something really ugly, shot peening with wire cut shot is my preference just for speed.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

what is the difference between regular molasses and feed molasses? i am assuming feed molasses is of a lower quality compared to regular molasses?

Feed molasses I believe is more concentrated than the molasses you buy at the store. It is used to supplement farm animal feed and is also a lot cheaper than regular molasses. You can find it at Tractor Supply, Ganders, amazon or a local feed store. I think a gallon is like $9.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

lol i may have to try this with some stuff that have gotten rusty. I’ll have to pick up some razor blades, its pretty hard to find these days.

you can try the blade sold in tool dept. for knifes, they should work

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Feed molasses I believe is more concentrated than the molasses you buy at the store. It is used to supplement farm animal feed and is also a lot cheaper than regular molasses. You can find it at Tractor Supply, Ganders, amazon or a local feed store. I think a gallon is like $9.

Feed molasses is concentrated compared to the stuff off the store shelf.
    Here in Canada, TSC and your local Co-Op will have it cheaper than anywhere else if you bring in your own container. I wish it were $9 a gallon. we pay almost double unfortunately.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

I use a technique like the one shown in the video below for surfaces. Works great.

For smaller items, I use either evaporust which I get at Harbor Freight or an electrolysis bath, depending on the size of the item. Bigger things like handplane castings tend to get the electrolysis, while smaller items (hardware for handplanes, etc) get evaporust.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

For smaller items, I use either evaporust which I get at Harbor Freight

HF is carrying Evaporust? Good deal. I use Evaporust also for small parts that need rerusting in a hurry, it works in hours rather than days.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Easton, Pa

For smaller items, I use either evaporust which I get at Harbor Freight

HF is carrying Evaporust? Good deal. I use Evaporust also for small parts that need rerusting in a hurry, it works in hours rather than days.

Not to go OT, but I heard rumor HF is opening a store 10 mins from me. Right around the corner from HD. I’ll have to stop in when they open and pick up some evaporust

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I use a technique like the one shown in the video below for surfaces. Works great.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/U3FpvWdZ8Zk?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>
    For smaller items, I use either evaporust which I get at Harbor Freight or an electrolysis bath, depending on the size of the item. Bigger things like handplane castings tend to get the electrolysis, while smaller items (hardware for handplanes, etc) get evaporust.

thats another reason i want to look around to see if i can pick up some razor blades, they seem pretty dead useful. I seem to only find the double edge ones which kinda suck for applications like this, the last time i ended up cutting my thumb open on one of those.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 96 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.195 seconds