dcsimg

How do you clean your rusty machinesor tools

Tagged: ,

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    staker
    Pro

I like to use a citric acide tank it’s safe and can use it indoors

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I generally use a wire wheel on my bench grinder when necessary. Truthfully, it’s not often I do so.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

staker
    Pro

I did this drill press

asevereid
    Pro
    Kamloops, BC

THAT looks good. Citric tank? What’s your mix?
    I typically use Evaporust…but I’m also usually working on much smaller pieces like handplanes, and….handplanes 😀

Lurking Hit and Run poster.

staker
    Pro

I don’t measure that tank has about 3 cups, I also mix up a spray bottle. Its about $10 a kilo

I just used the WD-40 rust remover . Worked okay on certain metals . My try that bath that you use . Looks like it cleaned the rust off good .

Always willing to learn .

asevereid
    Pro
    Kamloops, BC

I just used the WD-40 rust remover . Worked okay on certain metals . My try that bath that you use . Looks like it cleaned the rust off good .

😀 Thinkin’ of giving that old Skil a washdown now?

Lurking Hit and Run poster.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I did this drill press

Holy Crap what a difference, I’ve never had good luck with any citrus cleaner. how many years did you have to bathe that drill in that tub LOL? I guess the proof is in the puddin right there, What’s your recipe?

BTW, Great looking drill press. It looks very familiar, Except mine has a shorter mast

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I use 3 methods depending on what it is

1. Bead Blaster, fast and thorough

2. WD-40 Rust Remover this is a soak thourough but takes 24 hours. You need a container to big enough for the part.

3. Feed Molasses mixed 20 parts water to 1 part Feed Molasses. I keep a 5 gal bucket ready with this mixture in it. dump in the parts and a week or so later no rust.

They all work, just depends on what I need at the time. The soaks do not change the base metal appearance, while bead blasting leaves a bit of sheen or a slight finish to the surface.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

staker
    Pro

I buy the citric acid at a wine making shop, there should be no grease on your parts, I left the drill parts about a week. I seen the molasses on utube works great also. What I like about the baths is you are not creating that fine rust dust. I have a sand blaster never used it yet, have the bandsaw I want to blast and paint, but hate to take apart a good functional machine. Never seen the wd rust remover.

hgonzalez7
    Pro
    San Antonio, Texas

A wire wheel and WD-40 after for most things.

Bert

Anonymous
    Inactive

I use 3 methods depending on what it is

1. Bead Blaster, fast and thorough

2. WD-40 Rust Remover this is a soak thourough but takes 24 hours. You need a container to big enough for the part.

3. Feed Molasses mixed 20 parts water to 1 part Feed Molasses. I keep a 5 gal bucket ready with this mixture in it. dump in the parts and a week or so later no rust.

They all work, just depends on what I need at the time. The soaks do not change the base metal appearance, while bead blasting leaves a bit of sheen or a slight finish to the surface.

I buy the citric acid at a wine making shop, there should be no grease on your parts, I left the drill parts about a week. I seen the molasses on utube works great also. What I like about the baths is you are not creating that fine rust dust. I have a sand blaster never used it yet, have the bandsaw I want to blast and paint, but hate to take apart a good functional machine. Never seen the wd rust remover.

Wow we have a wine making shop around here, On the no grease comment are you saying to remove the grease before the bath? I used to always glass bead my stuff but I don’t have access to one anymore, This molasses idea is new to me also.

:D Thinkin’ of giving that old Skil a washdown now?

That would be one idea . Not sure how it would clean aluminum thow .

Always willing to learn .

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I did this drill press

I am amazed how clean that looks . I have a few tools that need to be done including my drill press.

staker
    Pro

On the no grease comment are you saying to remove the grease before the bath?

Yes clean the grease off

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

WOW, some great tips. I especially like the citric acid and the feed molasses. VERY COOL.

Thanks!

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Man that drill looks great! Have you ever considered painting it bright red??

staker
    Pro

no not into red

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Wow that finished drill press looks very nice.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

I’m use to just using a wire wheel also on a grinder to clean rust off various stuff. Great ideas and tips for making a bath though, looks like it worked like a charm.

A Working Pro since 2004

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 96 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.931 seconds