dcsimg

how do you clean your blades

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    parenos
    Honesdale, PA

I normally use simple green Grill cleaner, and a scrub brush. Wondering what everyone else uses to clean their, blades.

woodman_412

I use the blade cleaner from Lee Valley along with a brush. I used to use oven cleaner but the blade cleaner works much better. I use a plastic pan meant for draining motor oil to clean in, it’s a perfect shape and size for most blades.

Dan

danpattison.com

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

Dan,
    Do you sharpen your own blades or have someone local do it?

barrail
    Pro
    yorkville, illinois

Oven cleaner works real well, A tool sales man told me that the oven cleaner would pit the carbide so I questioned my saw sharpener and when he stopped laughing he said no, it would not hurt the carbide. Oven cleaner is available most places and works quick

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

I usually just use oven cleaner.

woodman_412

Brian,
    I take all my carbide tipped saw blades and router bits to a local sharpening shop to have them sharpened on their CNC equipment. I have a diamond hone that I use to touch up router bits but if they are quite dull I take them in. Anything that isn’t carbide I sharpen myself.

Dan

danpattison.com

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

depends on the time of year believe it or not.. summer time i use oven cleaner. i lay out some cardboard on the driveway then set my blades on that and blast em with oven cleaner.. colder months i use blade cleaner…

reason being the smell,, i hate the smell of oven cleaner.. dont want it inside

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

How do handle the 100% increase in phone calls when we are told there is a 4 day storm coming ? we are to have heavy rain, sleet, hail and snow on and off for the next four days with 50-60 mph winds. I have so many people who want gutter heaters, outdoor outlets,trees trim/cut down,new windows cause they feel drafts,sump pump back up systems, generator switch overs. The news is saying rain & sleet will coat the trees which will give to the extra weight bringing power lines down . I just want to split wood to heat my house !

Attachments:
    jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

what does that have to do with this topic

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

so do you burn your blades to clean them?

woodman_412

Seems a little random to me. What is the significance of the photo?

Dan

danpattison.com

I never sharpened my blades. but recently on another topic here, I was given advise on how to sharpen blades. thanks for guys

McK
    Pro

I use Kerosene,
    I have a tool grinder that allows me to sharpen my own blades.

I guess I am the only one that doesn’t clean and doesn’t resharpen. Though I have a stack ready to be resharpened. I’ve looked into it and it just does not seem to be as inexpensive as the rest of the world. We had one shop go under and he was really the only one I know of that re-sharpens.

And why does the tags at the bottom of the screen talk about overflow clients in a storm? I have no idea what that means, but I have a great story to tell someday.

McK
    Pro

Surprised to find anybody that doesn’t resharpen blades Kent.
    And sometimes just cleaning can make a big difference.

I stay away from oven cleaner/lye.
    Not sure it really damages them enough to hurt them,
    just to stay on the safe side.

This from Frued,
    close up of carbon soaked in a cleaner that “showing the damage from 24 hours of soaking in a popular commercial cleaner (which will remain unnamed) that is less caustic than oven cleaner:”

woodman_412

Kent, the tag at the bottom is from a random post a little ways back that had nothing to do with this thread. I get my carbide blades sharpened at a local shop and it costs about 25 cents per tooth.

Thanks for posting the pics Bill, that’s an interesting comparison. I used to use oven cleaner on my blades but now I use a cleaner specifically made for blades.

Dan

danpattison.com

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

teh sad thing about that poster and pic is that the pic was turning up in every thread it seemed the first few weeks of the boards.

we take our blades into the lumberyard,they send them over to pei actually

woodman_412

Do they send them to Langille’s in Charlottetown Jeff? I used to take my blades to Mill Supply when I lived in Halifax and they sent them over to Langille’s. It’s great now because I live 15 min away from their shop.

Dan

danpattison.com

I think Michael’s random post was him trying to text somebody and sent it to this forum or something haha

John S

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.581 seconds