dcsimg

How do you accept payments for work you do?

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 62 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  JimDaddyO 3 years ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Author

No need for starting a new topic, so I’m a little late to this party too.

I just received my newest card reader from Square. I am excited to offer even more options for my customers to make payments. For starters, I have been using Square since I started. I am a single employee/owner of a small electrical business so it is perfect for me. Most customers pay with check, some with cash, and some with credit cards. Square offers me this added flexibility with no minimum use or monthly fee. I may only take 1 credit card payment a year, or I may take several in one month. The funds have been available very quickly and I am quite satisfied with them. My first experience was taking a payment on December 31 a few years back. I believe it was 2011 and the 31st was a Saturday. My money was available on Monday, January 2.

Onto the new hardware: Square now offers readers that will accept the new EMV chip cards. I opted for the wireless one at a cost of $49 USD. With this reader, I can now accept EMV (dip) cards as well as NFC (near field communication) payments such as Apple Pay, Android Pay, and tap activated cards. It included a new dongle that plugs into the headphone port for the traditional mag swipe cards. The 2.75% fee doesn’t take away too much income, plus it is a tax deduction (expense). Mathematically I would have to charge 2.83% to the invoice to receive full payment.

Anything is possible if your wallet is thick enough ~ my father

For the piddly little amount I do it’s cash only. I make mostly gifts and stuff for the home, but I make a couple of hundred a year in small jobs. Not worth going any other way with only that much involved.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Recently I started to accept plastic…it really helped win a big job because the customer wanted to get her mileage rewards with her credit card, so I used the reader that I’ve been carrying around for a couple months. It all went smoothly… No complaints at all.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

woodman_412

I was thinking about this the other day and I think email money transfers might be a good way to go for me as an alternative to cheques. There are still some people that don’t touch online banking so it wouldn’t work for those people but anyone that does it makes a better alternative.

Dan

danpattison.com

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

For the piddly little amount I do it’s cash only. I make mostly gifts and stuff for the home, but I make a couple of hundred a year in small jobs. Not worth going any other way with only that much involved.

I do the same thing, Jim. I don’t have a problem accepting a cheque either. In my previous business, cheques were the usual payment with the occasional client preferring cash. I was seldom asked if I took plastic and never saw the need to go that route. I can honestly say I never had a bad cheque.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

99% of our customers pay with a check. Never have had a bad one…knock on wood. We do have 1 client that uses a CC and we use Square for it. Simple, payment gets deposited fast, no monthly fee.

We get asked if we offer a cash discount every once in a while but we do not. I still have to pay all the same overhead regardless of the payment type.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

i dont have much time for side jobs anymore but cash always ruled. every once and a while barter sometimes works, i had a friend that had a specialty clothing store, i would give a few hours labor in exchange for some shirts.

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I just received my newest card reader from Square. I am excited to offer even more options for my customers to make payments. For starters, I have been using Square since I started. I am a single employee/owner of a small electrical business so it is perfect for me. Most customers pay with check, some with cash, and some with credit cards. Square offers me this added flexibility with no minimum use or monthly fee. I may only take 1 credit card payment a year, or I may take several in one month. The funds have been available very quickly and I am quite satisfied with them. My first experience was taking a payment on December 31 a few years back. I believe it was 2011 and the 31st was a Saturday. My money was available on Monday, January 2.

Onto the new hardware: Square now offers readers that will accept the new EMV chip cards. I opted for the wireless one at a cost of $49 USD. With this reader, I can now accept EMV (dip) cards as well as NFC (near field communication) payments such as Apple Pay, Android Pay, and tap activated cards. It included a new dongle that plugs into the headphone port for the traditional mag swipe cards. The 2.75% fee doesn’t take away too much income, plus it is a tax deduction (expense). Mathematically I would have to charge 2.83% to the invoice to receive full payment.

this square method looks great, i am not sure if it was available in Canada though. I do remember reading that it was fantastic for people who worked the woodworking shows.

Aztec
    Pro

I accept cheque, credit cards, cash (if a small job, and it still gets deposited), and have accepted internet debit transfers for small jobs.

TimelessQuality
    Pro
    Central America, (Kansas)

I have square as well… I’ve only used it a handful of times, but it works fine and is nice to be able to offer it

--Steve

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Does anyone use the new Square chip card reader?

My hardwood supplier has one …and it never seems to work! Anyone else have experience with it? Being that chip cards are the future of plastic money, anyone accepting credit cards will likely need one in the near future.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Money talks said the wallet to the purse, let’s converse.
    In God we trust all others pay cash…

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Does anyone use the new Square chip card reader?

My hardwood supplier has one …and it never seems to work! Anyone else have experience with it? Being that chip cards are the future of plastic money, anyone accepting credit cards will likely need one in the near future.

people are willing to buy more with the chip as you just insert and never see money leave or even the tap option. where you just walk up and tap the machine and everything is paid.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

So far I only accept cash/cheque/e-transfer, however I’m thinking of getting square for cc payments, preferably only for smaller jobs so that there isnt a great loss for the fee.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

So far I only accept cash/cheque/e-transfer, however I’m thinking of getting square for cc payments, preferably only for smaller jobs so that there isnt a great loss for the fee.

I always added a 3% fee when using my PayPal Here to take payments, never had anyone balk at the fee.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Check or Cash so far . I haven’t got into the card or internet payment option . For big jobs i wait for check to clear to order material and start the job .

Always willing to learn .

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

I always added a 3% fee when using my PayPal Here to take payments, never had anyone balk at the fee.

I never thought of adding a fee, but I might just slide it into my prices then just throw on a discount if the customer chooses to pay with a method that doesn’t cost me a fee. That way I don’t loose and they feel like they win haha

I feel like having the option to accept credit cards just opens up a whole other market for people who want to have work done, but aren’t the type to actually put money away, or the ones that just don’t feel safe handing over a wad of cash.

JerrySats
    Pro
    Swedesboro, New Jersey

Cash is king and checks are good too, I have paypal card reader but haven’t used it yet .

Anonymous

I have paypal card reader and it’s free since I have paypal business but they do charge you some fees so I don’t like doing it and only did it once. I prefer cash if I’m not getting the cash I’m not starting the job anyway and when I wanna get payed I tell them couple days in advance so they pull out the money according to that I finish the job. Most of you already know people will try to make you do more work for same price. People suprise me these days. also we have a big problem on people that working in the trade that lowers the prices big time. Only killing the industry. I looked at a job in rutherford n.j for 6 bathroom with glass tile for the tile work mudjob floors walls over 1000 sf detail work and someone give price for 4200$ really ??? I mean I know it’s 10 days of work but damn I wouldn’t even touch it with a 25ft fatmax :))

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

i just started to see that one of the big box stores is now offering the square for free, i think as long as you start paying a monthly payment for use of square.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.638 seconds