dcsimg

How do you accept payments for work you do?

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 62 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  JimDaddyO 2 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 63 total)
  • Author

jim_hunt17
    Pro
    Milwaukee, WI

I am slowly starting to pick up more and more side jobs outside of my regular building maintenance job. I am doing some small advertising on local websites and word of mouth stuff and I am getting a lot of work out of it. My major issue is that I do not have a way to accept debit/credit cards. With many people not having cash on hand anymore, I have had to make sure people have cash. I was accepting personal checks until one bounced and it cost me more in bank fees than the job was worth. I recently ordered a square reader that plugs into my Iphone so I can accept cards. https://squareup.com/ I am a little leary of it. Does anyone have experience with this? Or for those of you that own your own business, how do you accept payments from customers?

Jim H.
    Milwaukee, WI

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The cash is only as far away as a bank machine and over here they are all over the place. I’m like my bartender,,,I like cash.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Jummul
    Pro

I’m very small time so most of this isn’t a problem for me. However, for the occasional job that I do I never accept cards. It’s either cash or bank. If the bank transfer doesn’t get to me (or they don’t do it) I’ll send a reminder after 30 days. If they still don’t pay I’ll pay a paralegal to help me and I include the cost of the legal support on their bill.

Has happened only once luckily because involving legal stuff makes sure you never see them as a customer again!

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Jim, good to see you back. we typically only accept checks, in one case we did accept paypal, but that was the only way we were going to get paid. I have been thinking about adding credit cards I would probably go with the “Square” device, I have seen it work and it seems to be very simple. I will price my projects with a 2 – 3% Bump to cover the fees and then give the 2 – 3% back as a discount, if paid with cash or check.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

If your jobs are small enough, Square would likely be fine. On a larger scale, there are some inherent issues with the platform that are deal breakers IMO. My HVAC guy used to use square until he learned that there are delays in processing large payments. ( $8,000 payment, but only 2,000 is available right away while he rest sits in limbo for a week or so).

They now use another phone based app that snaps a photo of the card rather than scans the magnetic strip. I can’t recall the name of it, but he says the fees are lower and the funds are available immediately.

I like the idea of accepting plastic, but there are always transaction fees fto r the convenience factor you should remember to include in the bill. Currently, I’m cash or check only.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Anonymous

I haven’t had one check bounce in 25+ years of doing this. Maybe I’m just lucky. Being choosy about who you work for helps.

I used to invoice everything, but nowadays I almost always expect the check in hand before I leave. Bigger jobs, I make sure I’m always ahead on the money. I have never had one customer ask about using a credit card. If I have someone that I feel that I better get cash from, I don’t want to work for that person.

sergey061478
    Blocked

cash is the king with me…

TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I have heard a lot about the square and thought about switching to it. However I am under contract with my current merchant services through the bank. We use a wireless credit card processor. We accept Cash, checks, and credit cards except American Express.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I’ve seen Square advertised on TV but have not seen it in person, I would suspect a small % of the transaction would be a fee to wards Square?

Cash or these days E-Transfer works good. All you give to the client is your email address, they do the rest online and you get an email from the bank to login and answer a question that is agreed upon between you and the person transferring the money.
    You see the cash in your account the instant you answer the question. Just as good as cash.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

staker
    Pro

I accept cash, check, and bank transfer, email money transfer.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

again cash is king, and I am not a fan of paypal

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

E-transfers are my favorite method of getting paid, other than cash of course. It’s just too easy.

EthanB
    Pro
    South Kingstown, RI

I use Paypal for invoicing when a customer want’s to pay with a CC. It’s easy and I’ve never had a payment hold although I’ve heard they can happen. I’d like for the rate to be a little lower but I don’t use it as much as I used to so I don’t qualify for a better tier of pricing.

They make a card scanner for a smartphone but compliance is an issue for any of those so I’d rather send an invoice with the app and then let them pay it online, it can still happen while you’re in the house so it’s only a little less convenient but a whole lot safer. If I did smaller jobs, I’d probably use the swiper.

Taking credit cards is a no-brainer for me. I provide a price on my proposals and offer a 2% discount for cash or check so the processing fee isn’t coming out of my pocket.

I would think Paypal would be more popular for services. It’s already popular for retail. I leary about Paypal though and only use it for purchasing stuff and if I do accept payment for something, it would be only for someone I really trust.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

I accept credit cards through the Paypal card reader that plugs into my phone. I bump my price up 4% and then offer a 4% discount for cash or check payments. I have processed $9k payments with my card reader and have never had paypal hold money from a cc transaction, it has always been available within a few hours if not immediately. A lot of my customers use their debit card to pay, I have had several younger customers that never even ordered checks from their bank lol.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Rob
    Pro
    Birmingham, Alabama

I have used Square, it is simple and it works fine.
    They charge a fee for their service and I have that covered by my marketing /advertising budget that is built in to my price.
    But most of my clients just use a check.

I accept credit cards through the Paypal card reader that plugs into my phone. I bump my price up 4% and then offer a 4% discount for cash or check payments. I have processed $9k payments with my card reader and have never had paypal hold money from a cc transaction, it has always been available within a few hours if not immediately. A lot of my customers use their debit card to pay, I have had several younger customers that never even ordered checks from their bank lol.

I’m 50 and I hate checks or using cash. I write one or maybe two checks a year. Of course I don’t pay the bills so my wife writes many checks but overall we try to use our credit cards as payment more than anything else.

The only time I use cash is for buying lunch. And that place would have to have really good food for me to use cash. Most of the time I only have 20 to 40 bucks in my wallet.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

I’ve never been asked if I accept credit cards. Always thought it would come up, but never has.

I did get offered Marijuana for payment. I declined. I wouldn’t know what to do with the stuff. :blink:

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I’m 50 and I hate checks or using cash. I write one or maybe two checks a year. Of course I don’t pay the bills so my wife writes many checks but overall we try to use our credit cards as payment more than anything else.

I’m the opposite and I hate using cards and checks. I like using cash and like to be able to see my cash coming and going. It lets me know how much money i have.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I’m the opposite and I hate using cards and checks. I like using cash and like to be able to see my cash coming and going. It lets me know how much money i have.

I’m the same way. Cash is king. I know how much extra I have to spend. For me when using cards it is easy to over spend.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.551 seconds