dcsimg

How do I clean this tar and broken concrete?

Viewing 13 posts - 21 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

I’m realizing now some potential remedies do not have the full picture of what is beyond that garage door. My raised shop floor.

Just curious if you put in the raised floor and was able to get a look or sound out the concrete beforehand. When I have seen these types of cracks before at the edge of the garage, water was also running under the garage floor.

A Working Pro since 2004

Doobie

I’m realizing now some potential remedies do not have the full picture of what is beyond that garage door. My raised shop floor.

Just curious if you put in the raised floor and was able to get a look or sound out the concrete beforehand. When I have seen these types of cracks before at the edge of the garage, water was also running under the garage floor.

The floor was built over 12 years ago, I cannot recall anything of that sort.

I don’t think there is any water seeping under the slab, but of course I cannot be 100% certain on that.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I think I would just cut the slab back 3 – 4 inches and add back with dowels or pour the new slab up to it.

AS for a bonding agent, ” An now we pause or a word from one of our sponsors……”

Doobie

I think I would just cut the slab back 3 – 4 inches and add back with dowels or pour the new slab up to it.

That’s an idea!

So basically just break up the whole front and repour a new one. Never quite thought of that.

And guess what? I just bought a cement mixer last week! Go figure!

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Kurt, Thank you, I never knew they made a bonding agent. Next pour I’ll try it out.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

That’s an idea!

So basically just break up the whole front and repour a new one. Never quite thought of that.

And guess what? I just bought a cement mixer last week! Go figure!

I have used the mixing agent and you can also mix some in with the cement as you make it. When I was redoing a drain in @r-ice basement, I used the bonding agent.
    @Doobie, You could cut the slab then drill a few holes into it and cut up some short lengths of rebar to tie in the new to the old.

Kurt, Thank you, I never knew they made a bonding agent. Next pour I’ll try it out.

I know here in Canada that stuff has been around for decades, my pops was a cement head back in the 70’s & 80’s and I remember him using that stuff.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

sergey061478
    Blocked

SIKA makes great bonding agents too. they have lines for new/new concrete, new/old concrete, etc. Good stuff, but pricey.

Doobie

I’m now looking at getting my points aimed at the Bosch 5 inch Concrete Surface Grinder to take care of this problem. Not crazy about dissolving the tar as that would likely leave ugly uneven stains.

http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Tools/Pages/BoschProductDetail.aspx?pid=1773AK

Doobie

Follow up.

I ended up cutting the front 3 inches of the garage pad with a segmented blade in my circular saw and then used my SDS – Max 11264 Bosch in hammer mode to bust off the badly chipped edge off.

What tar was still there I removed with my 5in Concrete surface grinder which I did end up redeeming for. Freshened up the concrete surface nicely.

Quite happy with the end result.

Since I did that, we’ve had paver stone work laid in front of the garage and they will pave the rest of the driveway soon.

Consult with some professionals.

RyanF
    Pro

@bethepro

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

@bethepro

That’s exactly what Doobie is doing, asking the professionals. Thanks for noticing this @RyanF and tagging admin

BTW- @Doobie how did everything turn out with the garage? Any issues?

A Working Pro since 2004

Doobie

@bethepro

That’s exactly what Doobie is doing, asking the professionals. Thanks for noticing this @ryanf and tagging admin

BTW- @doobie how did everything turn out with the garage? Any issues?

It turned out great. I was amazed that the surface grinder was able to easily remove old tar. I had feared it would be too gummy a substance, but that was not the case. The yucky tar was decades old.

Viewing 13 posts - 21 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.369 seconds