dcsimg

How Diligent Are You At Tool Maintenance?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

Equipment is one thing.

I religiously change oil, oil filters, fuel filter, air cleaners, etc, on the dump truck, skid steer, tele-handler, etc.

Smaller stuff, like generator, plate compactor, water pump, pressure washer, I’m a little more lax on, but I still keep up on oil changes.

As you get smaller, like changing worm drive oil on all the saws, changing compressor oil, it’s real hit and miss. I might go a year or more, and then change the oil on all the saws and compressors. 😮

I’ll have a day where I’ll change oils, blow out dust, generally clean them up, but with all the tools I have, it’s not real consistent.

How ’bout you?

Goin' Down In Flames........

CB
    Pro

About the same declining scale.

The higher the repair or replacement cost, the more fastidious the maintenance.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can't Be The Pro... Be the Poster you'd want to read.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Sharpening blades, cleaning blades I do regularly. Same with blowing out dust from tools but I don’t change oil as often as I know I should. Hard to keep track of when the last time was.

Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Doobie

I don’t change oil as often as I know I should. Hard to keep track of when the last time was.

I’ll stick a piece of painter’s tape with a date Sharpied on it for some of those situations.

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

We almost never oil our nailers, and yet rarely have any issues. I do take better care of the Lull, and other big tools, but to me, the little tools only get attention when something is wrong.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I don’t change oil as often as I know I should. Hard to keep track of when the last time was.

I’ll stick a piece of painter’s tape with a date Sharpied on it for some of those situations.

LOL When the painters tape wears off, it’s time for service ….. maybe. A piece of painters tape on a well used tool would last perhaps a week?

We almost never oil our nailers, and yet rarely have any issues. I do take better care of the Lull, and other big tools, but to me, the little tools only get attention when something is wrong.

Nailers are the one thing that gets regular oiling in my shop. A couple of drops when I put them away every time. Cycle once or twice and into the cupboard.

Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I was at Auction sale a few years back. It was the contents of man’s work shop who passed away. This man was a retired school shop teacher. He also marked on his tools with masking taping when there were sharpening.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

Doobie

LOL When the painters tape wears off, it’s time for service ….. maybe. A piece of painters tape on a well used tool would last perhaps a week?

Of course it depends what it is. It’s just a sensible easy to do suggestion for many things we don’t have a better way to recall otherwise.

But you’re right on certain things. Can’t keep track on when I last pumped up my pool floaties using that method as my notational tape just ends up in the pool skimmer… sigh…lol.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

My compressors and nailers are oil less so not too much maintenance in that direction.
    I clean and blow the dust off my Bosch rotary hammer if I have some messy job.
    Same thing for the concrete saw when I cut concrete or bricks.

Doobie

Vehicles get oil changes when needed, never a problem there as I get it done at our mechanic’s. But other things around the house that need periodic oil changes, well, I can be really bad at that. De-gunking pitch on saw blades is also something that I don’t do as often as I should.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Vehicles get oil changes when needed, never a problem there as I get it done at our mechanic’s. But other things around the house that need periodic oil changes, well, I can be really bad at that. De-gunking pitch on saw blades is also something that I don’t do as often as I should.

Cleaning saw blades I am not very good at either. It seems I just don’t get enough shop to do everything. Maybe one day.

Greg

Maintenance 🤔😵 lol actually yes
    Did the break in on my compressors and about every few years change the oil
    Nailers usually give a small squirt just before every use , only because my nailers are stored in the original case and they have a small oil droplet bottle.
    And as far as tools , I try to blow them off when they get used in dirty conditions.

Smaller hand tools usually will get looked at when something usually breaks
    Although my ratchets and ratcheting screw drivers get grease every year or so.

I try, but I usually end of changing the oil on a bunch of tools all at once, so that once I start that mess I can forget about it for a while, including compressor, lawn mower, generator, etc. The vehicles all have built reminders, air tools I generally add a drop or two when I take them out of the storage cases, because I may not have remembered or been in a hurry when I put them away …

Will

I’m terrible at keeping up with maintenance on equipment . We really should keep up on it since it makes us a living .

Always willing to learn .

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I do a bit of maintenance.. I oil my guns and ,?,?,? well that’s about it.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I do a bit of maintenance.. I oil my guns and ,?,?,? well that’s about it.

That would be alittle bit.

Greg

Doobie

air tools I generally add a drop or two when I take them out of the storage cases

That’s what I do. Almost without fail.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.711 seconds