dcsimg

How deep do you drive screws? Help me win an argument!

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Doobie

ill sink them so that they both pull the material together

If I am using screws for framing, I will do the same. I will keep driving until the two boards suck up together. But then I will add an extra screw and set it properly.

I do that also for making sure also. The third screw is a small expense.

I don’t understand why someone would sink screws that deep, that means most of the wood at the top doesn’t contribute to the holding strength any more. And like Boschmanbrian said, the core of the PT gets exposed at that point.

Its like overdriving nails into sheathing…

Drive em so they’re flush or a little countersunk would be more or less my answer to this.

Thanks but I can’t take credits for that, I was quoting @jstare who made that great point.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

ill sink them so that they both pull the material together

If I am using screws for framing, I will do the same. I will keep driving until the two boards suck up together. But then I will add an extra screw and set it properly.

I do that also for making sure also. The third screw is a small expense.

Situation like that I just drill a pilot hole on top piece that’s larger than the shank (or thread, depends on length) of screw so it doesn’t engage. But I don’t do any production work so the slight delay is not a problem.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

A hair below flush for me . You never know if you ever have to remove them some day .

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

i drive screws right below or flush with the surface.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

They should be flush or just below. If they are put too deep I agree with everyone else’s comments, but it also breaks the fibers of the wood and leaves them exposed and the ends of the fibers will start lifting up and creating splinters as items get caught in the holes (and some naturally too).

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

If they are on a deck surface I’ll drive them just below the surface to not catch any bare feet.

EthanB
    Pro
    South Kingstown, RI

I sink them just below flush. Call it dimpled. Exactly like I would for drywall. My primary concern is that if they’re perfectly flush, they may not be tight after the PT has fully dried out. There’s no thread in the piece so the head is providing the tension.

Overdriving sucks too. I’m not that concerned about the water aspect as I haven’t run into a situation where I’ve seen systemic rot at the screw or nail head due to that. Occasional rot, sure, but not that often and I’ve seen a LOT of over driven nails on decking.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.370 seconds