dcsimg

How can I get the work done for less?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    rerun_1965
    Pro
    holladay, TN

After reading through this, I’ve come to the conclusion that I am working way too cheap!

Yea me too Brian. Our area of the country doesn’t pay quite that well. But our cost of living is a little less too.

I told you that 4 years ago ron

Maybe I was thinking too much about the price. You were all right. He must be that skilled enough to do the job considering the price. But I need to be sure first if his experience is enough to a job well done.

NENETH GERONA
    Tusco Inc.
    4000 Industrial Drive Cottondale, AL 35453
    205-553-8616
    www.tuscoinc.com

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Maybe I was thinking too much about the price. You were all right. He must be that skilled enough to do the job considering the price. But I need to be sure first if his experience is enough to a job well done.

Have you gotten more than one person to look at the job? Have you seen any of his work? Just because his price is high really doesn’t say if hes good or not.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Have you gotten more than one person to look at the job? Have you seen any of his work? Just because his price is high really doesn’t say if hes good or not.

Very good point Ron,
    Maybe have a few people come to give you pricing.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Valid point. Check into the guy a bit before pulling the trigger!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I think the best way to hire someone is from a referral. When I worked for myself all my work came from word of mouth and I wasn’t the cheapest guy around. I was always told from my dad that a bad word travels 10 times faster than a good word. People who want a good job will pay the price for the good work and no problems. There are also the people that want cheap and just make something work. I won’t work for them. They will be the ones that scream the loudest when their cheap fix fails.
    Around my area we don’t make $40.00 a hour . I am sure the rate depends where you live.
    I use this site to figure prices often. It goes by each job and location.

BeardedCarpenter
    Pro
    Winsted, CT

Think of this way. You’re not hiring the person for $40 an hour, you’re hiring the business, even if it’s just a one man business. He has to pay for insurance, a vehicle, tools, gas, consumables, etc. Handymen work a lot of small jobs, which means there can be a lot of time between jobs that’s not billable. If a handy man is billing you $40 an hour, I’d be surprised if he’s paying himself half that.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

After reading through this, I’ve come to the conclusion that I am working way too cheap!

Yea me too Brian. Our area of the country doesn’t pay quite that well. But our cost of living is a little less too.

This is why a how much does it cost or what should I charge question really can’t be accurate when the price of living is so much different all over the country.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Think of this way. You’re not hiring the person for $40 an hour, you’re hiring the business, even if it’s just a one man business. He has to pay for insurance, a vehicle, tools, gas, consumables, etc. Handymen work a lot of small jobs, which means there can be a lot of time between jobs that’s not billable. If a handy man is billing you $40 an hour, I’d be surprised if he’s paying himself half that.

Absolutely! The guy charging $40 an hour isn’t making anywhere near that after you break it down. I too refrain from giving an hourly rate because people get sticker shock, I much prefer to give a lump sum estimate.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Absolutely! The guy charging $40 an hour isn’t making anywhere near that after you break it down. I too refrain from giving an hourly rate because people get sticker shock, I much prefer to give a lump sum estimate.

I’m in the same boat. I almost refuse to give an hourly figure…(or even seperate materials from “labor” costs, which as those of us in the business know includes all of the things not called Materials and does NOT mean the money we pocket).

It is a losing battle more often than not when someone asks for an hourly rate. They want to compare numbers that just aren’t comparable…Contractror asks for $40 an hour and I only make $15, for example.

Jon P.
    Instagram

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

The dollars are all relative to the skill of the individual / the equipment, training and knowledge someone brings to the table, no matter what the profession.

a Doctor or a lawyer bring many years of schooling and hundreds of thousands in education to the table.

A Mechanic brings a lot of schooling and tens of thousands of tools to the table, and possibly many years of experience.

Electricians and plumbers are the same.

Carpenters and Handymen have done a poor job of portraying their profession as a skilled trade. We also have years of experience, some have education, and tens of thousands of equipment we bring to the table. yet the respect that a electrician or plumber get does not extend to our profession.

Would you question $40 for a plumber or electrician?

Part of the problem is that in most states an electrician or plumber must be licensed and have an extensive apprenticeship program. This does not exist in the same context for carpenters.

The other problem is that there are many more people that can do carpentry or home repairs as a sideline which dilutes our trade.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The dollars are all relative to the skill of the individual / the equipment, training and knowledge someone brings to the table, no matter what the profession.

a Doctor or a lawyer bring many years of schooling and hundreds of thousands in education to the table.

A Mechanic brings a lot of schooling and tens of thousands of tools to the table, and possibly many years of experience.

Electricians and plumbers are the same.

Carpenters and Handymen have done a poor job of portraying their profession as a skilled trade. We also have years of experience, some have education, and tens of thousands of equipment we bring to the table. yet the respect that a electrician or plumber get does not extend to our profession.

Would you question $40 for a plumber or electrician?

Part of the problem is that in most states an electrician or plumber must be licensed and have an extensive apprenticeship program. This does not exist in the same context for carpenters.

The other problem is that there are many more people that can do carpentry or home repairs as a sideline which dilutes our trade.

All this is very true. This is why a good tradesman must set himself up to look as professorial as possible so he can be paid as such opposed to a chuck in a truck type guy.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

@dirtywhiteboy you are so correct dirty, we have discussed that many times over the years in this forum. Unfortunately our industry will always be plagued by those types, the scammers, uninsured and unprofessional .

Professionalism and delivering a quality product every time sets us apart from the Chuck in a Truck guys.

I have really enjoyed this forum and the information we share, I think it makes us all better.

Doobie

I think the best way to hire someone is from a referral

Normaly this is true. In my case, I quickly learned most of the trades and companies my neighbors used and referred were shoddy or outright crooks. I find my own now when needed.

Valid point. Check into the guy a bit before pulling the trigger!

Yes, I totally agree with you. I think it’s better to hear some feedback from the people he have worked for before.

NENETH GERONA
    Tusco Inc.
    4000 Industrial Drive Cottondale, AL 35453
    205-553-8616
    www.tuscoinc.com

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

@dirtywhiteboy you are so correct dirty, we have discussed that many times over the years in this forum. Unfortunately our industry will always be plagued by those types, the scammers, uninsured and unprofessional .

Professionalism and delivering a quality product every time sets us apart from the Chuck in a Truck guys.

I have really enjoyed this forum and the information we share, I think it makes us all better.

I agree. The information that is share on the fourm does make all better. Sometimes it can be alot to remember. LOL!!

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

$ 40 / hr is totally reasonable for a handy man… they might only be doing a 15 minute task but like others have said by the time you factor in over head it ads up.. theres also the time to run and get any materials needed,, which is something most dont see they only see the time your at their house

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

which is something most dont see they only see the time your at their house

Absolutely! Just one more reason to avoid hourly pricing!

Jon P.
    Instagram

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Jon P.
    Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I always avoid hourly pricing also.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.271 seconds