dcsimg

How can I get the work done for less?

This topic contains 47 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  DirtyWhiteBoy 6 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 48 total)
  • Author

Handyman services in my area often charge $40 or more per hour. This seems awfully expensive when it comes to the final total. How can I get the work done for less?

NENETH GERONA
    Tusco Inc.
    4000 Industrial Drive Cottondale, AL 35453
    205-553-8616
    www.tuscoinc.com

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

That rate is extremely reasonable for a quality handyman. Generally, when you cheap out and get someone for less, you end up spending more to make the job right.

Clev08
    Pro

Maybe if you have enough work you could get a bid for all the work, but it will probably be a similar price in the end.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Handyman services in my area often charge $40 or more per hour. This seems awfully expensive when it comes to the final total. How can I get the work done for less?

$40 an hour is a real bargain if the work is quality but a horrible rip-off if not. Get some references.

https://www.instagram.com/woodiworkshop/

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

When you figure the overhead and everything involved, that rate is reasonable. You can probably find someone who charges $25, but with less experience and skills. Lots of times you can get twice the work done in the same amount of time paying $40 vs $25 so in the end you are ahead paying more.

Personally, at $40, by the time I pay insurance, work comp and payroll taxes, vacation and the like, I would be losing money on my guys.

Speed, quality and price, you never get all three and rarely get two

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

How much does the mechanic charge to fix your car? How much does the guy that fixed your computer charge to fix your PC?

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

That rate is extremely reasonable for a quality handyman. Generally, when you cheap out and get someone for less, you end up spending more to make the job right.

This so true. The rate does sound reasonable to me.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Do it yourself. Listen $40 is more than reasonable overhead, travel, insurance etc eat most of that up. Lucky if the tradesperson is making $15 an hour.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Well you could try to do it yourself. But in the end you will more than likely spend more doing so.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

How much does the mechanic charge to fix your car? How much does the guy that fixed your computer charge to fix your PC?

Or your lawyer… mine is $350/hr

Listen. Forget about hourly rates and focus on the end total for a job well done.

Personally, I decline to give people an hourly rate because of the reaction you just had. That $40 per hour figure is actually low for my area (mid sized town in the midwest). A handyman (or any contractor) worth his salt would accomplish a heck of a lot in an hour….so that $40 might buy you more than you think.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

When you figure the overhead and everything involved, that rate is reasonable. You can probably find someone who charges $25, but with less experience and skills. Lots of times you can get twice the work done in the same amount of time paying $40 vs $25 so in the end you are ahead paying more.

Personally, at $40, by the time I pay insurance, work comp and payroll taxes, vacation and the like, I would be losing money on my guys.

Speed, quality and price, you never get all three and rarely get two

This statement “Speed, quality and price, you never get all three and rarely get two” has been true in every industry I have ever worked in (getting to be a few of them now 🙂 ).

Will

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

$40 per hour seems fair to me for good work. Depends on what you need done, I guess.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I have no idea what a handyman’s rate might be in my area as I am the handyman for everything I do around my house. Seems like $40 though is not bad provided the work is done right.

My question is though, being a financial and tax pro, is this cash or a properly invoiced price that Mr. Handyman is gonna claim as income on his tax return?

That can make a big difference in what you’re getting. Myself, the few times I need to hire someone to do work, I want an invoice and contract so I’ve got something to fall back on if things go awry.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

I think everyone that has responded have great opinions on the topic,
    Funny how people don’t complain like @dirtywhiteboy said for a car mechanic or computer techs, but would skimp on a skilled labours, plumper, electrical and HVAC or a framer, plus a finished carpentry person,
    I had a conversation once with a client who wanted the breakdown of everything on the estimate,
    He was trying to chop down our hourly rate, he mentioned he had guys who worked for much less, I politely told him to be free and hire those people again!!!!
    His answer was no no no, they didn’t do very good work,
    I told him that is exactly my point, you get what you pay for.

Good luck with your findings.
    Please let us know how it works out.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Well I guess the OP could go to a big city HD and get some guys jump into the car and they would work cheap.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

After reading through this, I’ve come to the conclusion that I am working way too cheap!

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Well I guess the OP could go to a big city HD and get some guys jump into the car and they would work cheap.

Then we could post pictures in the Hack Hall of Fame thread.

To the OP if you think $40 an hour is too much look through the Hack Hall of Fame thread to get an idea of what you get when you go with the cheapest or cheaper price.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

RyanF
    Pro

Im sure you can find someone reputable that does good quality work in an efficient and professional manner for less than $40/hr.

You might have to structure it so that they can eliminate business expenses and half of the SE tax, and maybe guarantee a year’s worth of work, 8 hours a day, paid vacation, paid sick days, health insurance, a matching 401k, paternity leave, etc., to get it though.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I think everyone that has responded have great opinions on the topic,
    Funny how people don’t complain like @dirtywhiteboy said for a car mechanic or computer techs, but would skimp on a skilled labours, plumper, electrical and HVAC or a framer, plus a finished carpentry person,
    I had a conversation once with a client who wanted the breakdown of everything on the estimate,
    He was trying to chop down our hourly rate, he mentioned he had guys who worked for much less, I politely told him to be free and hire those people again!!!!
    His answer was no no no, they didn’t do very good work,
    I told him that is exactly my point, you get what you pay for.

Good luck with your findings.
    Please let us know how it works out.

I agree you do get what you pay for.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

After reading through this, I’ve come to the conclusion that I am working way too cheap!

Yea me too Brian. Our area of the country doesn’t pay quite that well. But our cost of living is a little less too.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.129 seconds