dcsimg

How About a Thread for Items OAINA

Tagged: ,

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    MikeK
    Pro
    Darmstadt, Germany, APO

I was feeling quite fortunate having the best of both worlds by living in Germany and having unrestricted access to the USPS for U.S. purchases. And then I tried to buy Kaizen foam sheets for my L-Boxx cases and tool trays. Unicorn steaks are easier to buy than Kaizen foam sheets.

Apparently, there is no way to ship Kaizen foam through the USPS because it cannot be cut in smaller sections. The standard 24×48 inch sheet of any thickness exceeds the USPS size limits 108 inches (length of the longest size plus girth) once it is packed. I don’t know why foam needs packing material, but that’s what I was told.

I called several U.S. vendors, including FastCap, and although they do mail items through the USPS when necessary, none will cut the 24×48 inch sheet of Kaizen foam sheet into three 16×24 inch sections so the package will be well within the USPS size limits. Can’t be done. Impossible. Stop asking. I tried to explain to one customer service rep that seven full sheets of 20mm foam could be cut into 16 inch sections and, when stacked in one pile, would still be under the USPS limit. No luck.

Therefore, Kaizen foam is Only Available in North America. Economically. I did find one vendor on Amazon.de who offers the 20mm sheets at €117.45 per sheet, which is about $124 per sheet at today’s exchange rate.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Check out kaizeninserts.com they are already precut to the size of your lboxx and maybe easier to sbip

MikeK
    Pro
    Darmstadt, Germany, APO

Check out kaizeninserts.com they are already precut to the size of your lboxx and maybe easier to sbip

I sent two “Contact Us” requests to Brian, but haven’t heard back from him. I tested his product check out process, and he does recognize APO addresses, so that is a good sign.

I prefer to buy his inserts for the L-Boxx, since he has done one of the hard jobs of making them the correct size for the box. Hopefully, he’ll respond to one of my queries and will also be able to sell smaller sections of the foam so I can use it for other cases.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

I could see a retailers hesitation to cutting a new product for the buyer.

Perhaps some eBay sellers would be willing to do so?

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

i can see that, if they dislike it and try to return it, it’ll be hard to resell.

On the note of OAINA, I have heard that the Bosch 18V right angle drill is OAINA:
    https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/cordless-drills-ads181-132467-p/

I can’t think of any other OAINA items off the top of my head.

@MikeK

You’d probably have better luck with finding a friend in the US to try to ship you those after getting it shipped to their place.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I sent two “Contact Us” requests to Brian, but haven’t heard back from him. I tested his product check out process, and he does recognize APO addresses, so that is a good sign.

I prefer to buy his inserts for the L-Boxx, since he has done one of the hard jobs of making them the correct size for the box. Hopefully, he’ll respond to one of my queries and will also be able to sell smaller sections of the foam so I can use it for other cases.

I have talked to Brian before. Maybe I could ask him if he got your info.

MikeK
    Pro
    Darmstadt, Germany, APO

I have talked to Brian before. Maybe I could ask him if he got your info.

Thank you, I would appreciate that! I didn’t find a phone number on his website.

I just ordered $170 worth of inserts for my boxes from him and would like to order some 16×24 sheets.

MikeK
    Pro
    Darmstadt, Germany, APO

You’d probably have better luck with finding a friend in the US to try to ship you those after getting it shipped to their place.

All of the vendors who refused to cut the sheets made the same recommendation. I’ve been stationed in Germany for 20 years and I don’t know anyone in the U.S. who would do this for me. 🙁

MikeK
    Pro
    Darmstadt, Germany, APO

I did contact three sellers to ask about cutting the foam, and all refused. Without exception, all of the eBay sellers clearly state they will not ship to and APO address.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

All of the vendors who refused to cut the sheets made the same recommendation. I’ve been stationed in Germany for 20 years and I don’t know anyone in the U.S. who would do this for me. 🙁

@mikek

In which kaizen product are you interested? I am not familiar with all the products. I’m only aware about the lboxx inserts and other storage container/systainer foams etc.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

MikeK
    Pro
    Darmstadt, Germany, APO

In which kaizen product are you interested? I am not familiar with all the products. I’m only aware about the lboxx inserts and other storage container/systainer foams etc.

I was trying to buy the sheets of Kaizen foam in the 20, 30, and 57mm thicknesses so I can make my own inserts for tool chests and my L-Boxx cases. Here is a link to the FastCap website for the full sheets:

http://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/Kaizen-Foam-p13435.htm

I suspect the eBay and Amazon sellers don’t have the items, but are order fulfillment sellers and have FastCap, or other distributors, drop ship to the buyer. This would explain why none will cut the sheets to a smaller size, as they never touch the product being sold.

Aside, what is up with the discussion board software that changes the emoticons into huge images…or do they appear large to just me?

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Wow who would of thought that Kaizen foam sheets would be unobtaninium in Europe.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

MikeK
    Pro
    Darmstadt, Germany, APO

Great news! Brian, at Kaizeninserts.com, replied to one of my “Contact Us” queries and included his phone number. I just spoke with him to confirm my order and asked if he can cut two sheets of each thickness into 16×24 inch pieces and mail them to me. He said he would be happy to do this, so the Kaizen foam is no longer OAINA…at least for me.

On the note of OAINA, I have heard that the Bosch 18V right angle drill is OAINA:
    https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/cordless-drills-ads181-132467-p/

I can’t think of any other OAINA items off the top of my head.

@mikek

I can. The Reaxx isn’t in Europe yet. Nor is a barebones version of the Glide saw or the standard table saws (the european versions are fully loaded and therefore much more expensive. Also, the euro 4100 can’t have a side extension because it has a sliding table)

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Aside, what is up with the discussion board software that changes the emoticons into huge images…or do they appear large to just me?

That is a long time BTP thing haha. When someone quotes a comment those emoji appear on half of the screen. It has been long time like that.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I don’t think it’s a very good idea for a thread,,, I can get full sheets all day long and I’m not in North America. Germany is a very small spot in europe, because you can’t get it doesn’t mean it’s OAINA.
    What you need is for someone that you know to buy the sheet and pull it outa the box and roll it up real tight and tape it up and put a shipping label on it and send it to you.

MikeK
    Pro
    Darmstadt, Germany, APO

I don’t think it’s a very good idea for a thread,,, I can get full sheets all day long and I’m not in North America. Germany is a very small spot in europe, because you can’t get it doesn’t mean it’s OAINA.

I think Hawaii and Alaska are easily and economically serviced by UPS, so this is not a fair comparison…although the North America point is valid. My APO address is not serviced by any commercial carrier and accepts packages only through the USPS. There are several commercial enterprises that handle mail forwarding through the USPS, but they don’t repackage and tend to be expensive.

I could use UPS to have the sheets delivered to my home address, but as I have learned several years ago, the costs are much higher. The packages are usually intercepted by the Zollamt (Customs Office) and duties assessed that must be paid before the items are released. It just isn’t worth it for some items.

What you need is for someone that you know to buy the sheet and pull it outa the box and roll it up real tight and tape it up and put a shipping label on it and send it to you.

I’ve been stationed in Germany for 20 years, and all of my U.S. social ties are gone, so there is no one I can ask to accept, repackage, and forward anything to me. However, as I stated in an earlier post today, the problem has been solved by KaizenInserts.com, and Brian can mail as many cut-down or partial sheets as I want. I am happy.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I think Hawaii and Alaska are easily and economically serviced by UPS, so this is not a fair

well that just isn’t true. We are best served by USPS.

MikeK
    Pro
    Darmstadt, Germany, APO

well that just isn’t true. We are best served by USPS.

At least you have a more economical choice without import duties. I left Hawaii in 1967, so I suspect a lot has changed since my days at Ft. Shafter.

I forgot to mention about your other comment about Germany being a “very small spot in Europe”. Germany is one of the charter member states of the European Union and the Schengen Zone. Germany is likely the largest economic spot in the Schengen Zone. To that end, I have searched for sources in France, Belgium, Italy, The Netherlands, and the UK, all with the same negative results. I suspect Kaizen foam just isn’t as popular on this side of the Atlantic Ocean.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.315 seconds