dcsimg

Housed stringer repair

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  RonW 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

So does anybody know whats the angle of these routed mortises? I have to pull a very badly/dangerous spread out stair case. That I have done with threaded rod or similar but nce its drawn back into position I want to glue in new wedges and will need to make a bunch.

They are thicker than normal shims of course which made me wonder if there was a standard to them. I understand larger mortises will accommodate a variety of material thickness but the angle of the wedge wont change.

Also any reason why riser to tread connections cant be screwed in place of the loose nails?

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

Do you have any pictures?

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Brian do they use housed stringers in your area or cut dimensional lumber?

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

Brian do they use housed stringers in your area or cut dimensional lumber?

Around here stair stringers are cut from dimensional Lumber. I think I know what you’re talking about with housed stringers,I’ve seen them in books but never in real life. I thought it was an old way that wasn’t used any more. As far as wedges go, seems like you could measure the thickness of the dado, subtract the thickness of the tread, and you’d have the thickness of the wide part of the wedge. I was asking about a picture just to make it easier to understand just what you are looking for.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Yes with housed stringers you basically have solid stair and riser spanned between the size of 5/4 solid skirting.

Instead of having cleats supporting stairs and risers the fabricator routes out a mortise into the five quarter to accept about 3/4 inch of the stair.

They are then slid into place wedged and glued. When installed the side skirting is usually Nails into the wall framing. Sometimes there is too much Gap not enough shim and time giggles them apart making it very dangerous.

They are still very common here and used often.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I see these more often going into the basement where there are no side walls holding the stairs together.
    In this case some threaded rod and nuts on the outside draw things back together.

I read an article a few years ago that I never forgot. It was about plumbers moving a cast iron tub out of the second floor down the stairs and fall into the basement I never got that out of my head.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

I read an article a few years ago that I never forgot. It was about plumbers moving a cast iron tub out of the second floor down the stairs and fall into the basement I never got that out of my head.

I can only imagine the results of that, and it’s not a pleasant thought!

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

So I was sent some pictures, Friday I am going to see what I can do.

Heres the severity of the problem. By the pictures it doesnt look like the walls are spread but they must be. Im going to try turnbuckles, ratchet straps….whatever I can to pull back together and work it back into position.

Attachments:

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Heres the severity of the problem. By the pictures it doesnt look like the walls are spread but they must be. Im going to try turnbuckles, ratchet straps….whatever I can to pull back together and work it back into position.

It almost looks like the bottom of the stair case slid forward! That will be a fun repair…

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Wow that is bad. Looks to me like there was no support at the bottom? Probably will have to take them all apart and start over.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Yeah it doesnt seem possible. I will have to lift up in position before any drawing together efforts.

Hopefully they act a bit in unison and Im not fighting each individual step

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

Wow, that is pretty bad! Are you able to access the underside of the stairs?

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

A Carpenter's Journal

Housewright Construction

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

That’s is going to be a really challenging repair. A lot of jacking, pulling, lifting and probably more.

Picture shows the wall side; is the other side open?

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it muffles the sound.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Thank goodness the underside is open.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

You have got yourself a challenge! I look forward to seeing how it goes, looks like quite a mess!

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Thank goodness the underside is open.

That is a big break for you. Still going to be a real pain to get them back in place.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.351 seconds