dcsimg

House remediation…How’s it done?

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

My sister went through this with her husband’s uncle’s house. He had passed away and no one knew it.

They had a disaster recovery company come in and disinfect and remove any parts that were contaminated with bodily fluids, then they did an odor mitigation.

I believe that they use OZONE machines. We have purchased an Ozone machine and use it occasionally for water damaged homes to remove the must smells. it works really well, and you could purchase a few for what the remediation companies charge to rent them for a week.

I think it is the most critical to remove the things that are the most porous like carper, furniture and drapes and other things that were in the immediate area. As you get away from the location where they were found, I think the ozone and sprays will do the trick.

As far as paint Jim, I think 20 gallons of Kilz would be more than enough and about the same of a finish color.

I have found the remediation companies to be incredibluy expensive for what the do. In the wet basements we have encountered them, they charge about 10K just to remove the carpet and dry them out. With our standard dehumidifiers and ozne machine, we have been able do do it for less than 1/2 and still make good money.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I think it is the most critical to remove the things that are the most porous like carper, furniture and drapes and other things that were in the immediate area. As you get away from the location where they were found, I think the ozone and sprays will do the trick.

Thanks Kurt.

If you took the video tour through the house you can see that all contact, and possible contact areas have been removed. Even the sub floor has been replaced in areas and dry wall removed. No porous material except the acoustic tile in the basement, which I would remove as a precaution anyway.

I see what you mean about purchasing ozone machines as opposed to renting. I have looked up both prices. I’m glad to hear someone with first hand experience with them chime in. I think, as I have said, I would just let them run in the house with no one in it for a week or so if we decide to jump on this project. I guess the kitchen cabinets can stay too then. I would get a sprayer and do the whole house with a bleach solution before I did the ozone…bleach, ozone, leave for a week while the ozone runs.

My wife is under the impression that a developer will jump on this place for the land and subdivide it. Not sure if that would be possible because of zoning and if the municipality would allow it. Still, a thought though.

Very grateful for all the input on this thread. All, and more thoughts and ideas are welcome.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

about purchasing ozone machines as opposed to renting.

Ozone machines work, I have had one for years, use it the detailing side of the business and it removes pet and smoking odors like nothing else.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Large sigh!

I went to the listing online. I had emailed the agent a couple of days ago asking if we could view the place Sunday. When I got to the listing….it’s sold.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Large sigh!

I went to the listing online. I had emailed the agent a couple of days ago asking if we could view the place Sunday. When I got to the listing….it’s sold.

Well that sucks. One less thing worry about now. With the way the market has been good deals don’t seem to last. I went thru this already. Our biggest problem was always getting out bid.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Well that sucks.

Yes, but in the very least, the thread was educational. That’s what this place is all about isn’t it?

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Your right this thread was educational and that is what the forum is about.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Well that sucks.

Yes, but in the very least, the thread was educational. That’s what this place is all about isn’t it?

Sorry to hear that Jim , maybe it was for the best ,
    You are right , we learned a lot in the short time , thanks for the thread and educational input from the other members

Doobie

Like Brian said, maybe it was forthe best.

Wonder if it’s a house flipper and what the resale price might be months from now.

For me, I’d never heard of ozonators for house odour elimimation, and I’m not so sure that would have worked alone with galloms of Kilz all over.

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.227 seconds