dcsimg

House remediation…How’s it done?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

In our search for a new home to move to we have come across a listing for a home where some people died, and weren’t discovered for a while. Apparently it has quite the odour in it. It is vacant and all the soft materials have been removed. Some of the floor and subfloor too, as well as some of the lower drywall.

Any suggestions on how to tackle the rest of the job to get the odours out? The rest of the hardwood floor would have to be pulled up as you would never match it up again. Would the kitchen cabinets and wood work have to go too? Would a few coats of Kilz or other shellac based primer work? Any other hints? Has anyone ever done this type of work?

Oh, and some sort of a time frame for doing the work as a DIY project would help too if you can.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

In our search for a new home to move to we have come across a listing for a home where some people died, and weren’t discovered for a while. Apparently it has quite the odour in it. It is vacant and all the soft materials have been removed. Some of the floor and subfloor too, as well as some of the lower drywall.

I don’t have any experience with this. I am very interested to hear how a person would tackle this job. It sounds like really big job. I guessing the price of the house is pretty reasonable considering the amount of work it would need.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Doobie

Was it a murder? The agent has to tell you.

There was a case years ago in Courtice/Bowmanville area where there was a murder suicide in the house they had bought and the agent didn’t tell the prospective new owners.

Lady couldn’t take it knowing that and they moved out later and sued what was a top agent/brokerage owner in this region. She lost and had to pay half a million in damages.

There’s a whole bunch of news articles about this, this is just one of them I quickly found.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2012/11/20/couple_sues_realtor_over_sale_of_house_where_double_murder_occurred.html

Search ‘ Mary Roy sued’. You’ll pull up a bunch.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

The agent has to tell you

This is something I did not know.

We put a offer on house where owner died in the house. We weren’t told this by our agent or the listing agent. Not sure how he died. I found this out myself by searching the guys name. It turned out I knew the guy and went to high school around the same time. I happy we got outbid on this place.

Greg

Doobie

The agent has to tell you

This is something I did not know.

We put a offer on house where owner died in the house. We weren’t told this by our agent or the listing agent. Not sure how he died. I found this out myself by searching the guys name. It turned out I knew the guy and went to high school around the same time. I happy we got outbid on this place.

Ask an agent. I’m assuming that her not telling them was something that she was obligated to do. Why else would the lawsuit have been successful.

It was a well known gruesome murder suicide that anybody who lived around there knew about. The agent knew, and she just didn’t tell them.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Getting rid of decomp odors is tough….especially if they were there for a while. Obviously, any porous materials in the immediate vicinity need removed, HVAC ducts need cleaned because the dust in the ducts absorbed odor, the furnace/air handler should be cleaned (especially if it was running), shellac based primer, ozone machines…it can get pretty involved. The longer the bodies sat the more difficult it will be.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

To satisfy the morbid curiosity….no, it wasn’t a murder. It was a care taker looking after his parents that died outside and the parents, with no caregiver died shortly after.

Yes, the agent has everything revealed as far as information.

The house is a bargain. Really cheap! Due to the circumstances.

My thoughts, so far, is to go in, take out the rest of the finished floor and likely some wood work, kitchen cabinets, the ceiling acoustic tiles in the basement (because they are porous). Then try and rent about 4 ozone machines and fire them up at the different levels (side split house) and just leave them running for a week. Then come back, turn off the machines, get the duct cleaned, rent spray equipment and cover just about everything with Kilz primer. Probably multiple coats.

or…..hire a pro, which I have no idea of that cost.

It may take more time and money than we have. But we are considering it. I want to get an idea of time and money before we take it off the list of possibilities.

Doobie

Call these guys up.

https://pauldavisbusiness.com/heritage/

They’ve been advertising for years on TV here and although I think they work more on the fire/insurance restoration side, if they don’t do that kind of work you need, you may be able to pick their brains about either who does, or how to go about it yourself.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

My thoughts, so far, is to go in, take out the rest of the finished floor and likely some wood work, kitchen cabinets, the ceiling acoustic tiles in the basement (because they are porous). Then try and rent about 4 ozone machines and fire them up at the different levels (side split house) and just leave them running for a week. Then come back, turn off the machines, get the duct cleaned, rent spray equipment and cover just about everything with Kilz primer. Probably multiple coats.

I guess it hurt to find out the cost of hiring a pro.

In 2008 we had a water leak in rental unit on the 2nd floor of my place. My insurance brought in their prefer contractor to take care of the damage. They removed all wet flooring,drywall and furniture. I brought dehumidifiers,fans. I think they also had ozone machines in both units. I believe they left their equipment running in both units for a week to dry out and remove the odor. I remember the cost of just doing this work. The total cost to do this work & replacing the flooring, drywall, painting etc was around $40 000.00

Greg

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

If you have looked at the listing and video in the “interesting things we see” thread it helps understand what I’m looking at.

It seems all the “contact” areas have been removed, and then some, along with some sub floor replacement. I think the acoustic tiles in the basement would have to go too but I am wondering if a few industrial sized ozone generaters left in there for a week or so would do the trick, along with some duct cleaning maybe?

Apparently ozone will kill any and all living things in the house, including bacteria and germs. I think the rest of the floor would have to come up on the main level as you would never match it up again. Not sure about the kitchen cabinets. Odd that 2 of the drawer fronts are missing. Replace them too?

Painters…How many gallons to cover everything in the house with Kilz primer? I think the house is about 1100 sq ft. I would want to do the ceilings, floors, walls, and undersides of the floors from the basement. Just seal the whole works up with a couple of coats.

Maybe the video posted here would be a good idea…. it gives you a fly through of the whole house.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Remove all the drywall and the isolation from the walls.
    Then let the windows open for a week. Hope for no rain.

I’m surprised nobody read the listing , it says they passed away from natural causes , 🤷‍♂️ guess nobody really reads posts 😁

As for the problem with that odor , I really have no idea Jim , I would assume similar to cat or dog urine , must try to get as much material as possible out of there ,
    Personally I would gut it down to the studs , hire someone to sort of fumigate or disinfecting the area , obviously budget in hand ,
    You just don’t want to cut corners and realize that in a few weeks or months , that while you are living in the house , that it starting to smell again ,
    Looking forward to seeing what you come up with and hopefully it all worked out for you ,

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Dang, my post seems to have disappeared.

Oh well….

A complete gut would put the project out of our budget.

I was thinking more along the line of removing the rest of the main floor flooring, the ceiling tiles in the basement, the kitchen cabinets, and maybe more drywall in the rooms the bodies were, maybe some trim too.

Then, spray the whole house down with a bleach solution and then fire up ozone generators and leave them running while we leave for a week. Then come back and coat everything…and I mean EVERYTHING, with Kilz primer. Ceilings, walls, floors, open cavities and studs, the floor joists and under the floors, anything that isn’t glass or ceramic pretty much.

We need a pretty solid sure fire plan in the works as we have to be out of this house and into the new one by the end of October. Otherwise we could lose out on what could be a gem at a bargain price. I have sent a message to a remediation company for a rough quote. If it’s only about $20,000 with a guarantee I would hire them. Still a bargain.

And I noticed that it has a furnace , that’s another thing that should be disinfected or what ever you call it , deodorize 🤷‍♂️
    What you mentioned sounds pretty good ,
    Especially if they guarantee the work ,
    That kilz is a good product , it really helps eliminate fowl odours.

I really hope it works out for you guys Jim 🙏

@JimDaddyO
    I just saw your answer via email , because I’m subscribed to the thread

I totally understand the situation , follow your gut and your investigation into the matter ,
    I’m sure it’s going to work out for you guys , fingers crossed and positive thoughts for you and your wife Jim

What you mentioned sounds pretty good also ,

Doobie

Oh well….

Sorry Jim as it must have heen on your end. Nothing in the spam or trash bucket to retrieve I can find.

Doobie

Jim, I think you need to think of materials as potential ‘sponges’.

No matter what you may coat on them, they will still act as slow acting storage sponge imbued nasty odour releasors from the backsides of where you Kilz’d them on their accesible surfaces in being odour releasers for years to come unless entirely removed.

Think about that concept my friend. FWIW from a nerdy think too much DIYer.

Kurt Welker might know way more on this.

@KurtWelkerHomes-com

Did you try calling Paul Davis restoration as I suggested and picking their brains. Bloody hell, I’ll do it for you if you want. I can even record it for you to listen to.

You should have no qualms or ‘tail between your legs’ calling a place like that. It’s most likely not their area of work they do, but they likely know who is or how it’s done. They can’t punch you in the nose on a phone call ya know! Just dick you around at best. Then go look up another similar firm and try the same.

Be honest in what you are seeking. That typically makes a huge diff. Up front honest is how I present my intentions doing this. They don’t want to offer anything, move on. Others are out there to help. The ones who help guide you are the smart business people who know goodwill pays back in unidentifiable returns in the future. I know this with my own practice in my proffesion of 30+ years. What goes around, comes around, you just can’t usually conmect the two ends.

I do that kind of innofensive indirect research all the time with stuff I’m struggling with what is a proper pro response.

Sometimes all you’ll get is the idiot receptionist/girl Friday working on her Sunday suntan plans, other times you’ll get a real bonafide pro that will have no issue educating you. Try it….you’ll like it!

You’d be amazed at what past pro guidance(s) I’ve gotten myself over the years just on a phone call to the right place(s) on different issues. A lot of it would have been costly on site visits otherwise. Admitedly, I’m a ‘Pro’ at flappin’ my gums the right way, but I watch your videos and you’re no worse in expressing yourself. You’ve got that intrinsic gift of spelling it out without embarassment. Beter than myself in videos frankly!

You certainly can do this kind of thing, just get out of your head notions you’re intruding on who you are talking to and act as just looking for clarity in what you are maybe dealing with especially with a tentative situation of buying such a property. You’ve got that ‘buffer’ reason in that you are not there yet that can elicit more responses than otherwise.

Again, be honest and describe things as they are is part of the key to real valued replies. Get caught fudging a situation gets shut down pretty quick.

Go to it Jim, amd good luck! 🍻

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Oh well….

A complete gut would put the project out of our budget.

I was thinking more along the line of removing the rest of the main floor flooring, the ceiling tiles in the basement, the kitchen cabinets, and maybe more drywall in the rooms the bodies were, maybe some trim too.

Then, spray the whole house down with a bleach solution and then fire up ozone generators and leave them running while we leave for a week. Then come back and coat everything…and I mean EVERYTHING, with Kilz primer. Ceilings, walls, floors, open cavities and studs, the floor joists and under the floors, anything that isn’t glass or ceramic pretty much.

We need a pretty solid sure fire plan in the works as we have to be out of this house and into the new one by the end of October. Otherwise we could lose out on what could be a gem at a bargain price. I have sent a message to a remediation company for a rough quote. If it’s only about $20,000 with a guarantee I would hire them. Still a bargain.

It is alot to think about. Plus it looks like you don’t have alot of time fool around. You need to get it done.
    Honestly I would look at getting few quotes from pro’s to see what it would cost. It is a good price. But there is alot work that needs done in short time. It might be better to walk away from this one.

Greg

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Sorry Jim as it must have heen on your end. Nothing in the spam or trash bucket to retrieve I can find.

I think it was my fault. I tried editing it a few times and may have pushed a wrong button somewhere. Getting old…lol

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Did you try calling Paul Davis restoration as I suggested and picking their brains.

So far I have sent an inquiry to Service Master. It’s what they do too. I will get a hold of Kurt and Paul too. Thanks for the lead.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

So far I have sent an inquiry to Service Master.

That’s the company, ever since you posted I have been trying to think of who that company is that specializes in removing odors and fixing damage.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.471 seconds