dcsimg

Home gym

• This topic has 82 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Nyx.
Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

thats kind of like what I started with @TonyG then….KHS free ride, dual mechanical discs, Marzzochi front, Vanilla rear, every time I hit the trail I wipe out a small family of saplings……all from a Sears rigid frame. I also bought a Scott road bike this past July. Riding is addictive. Especially mountain biking….”if you ain’t muddy and bloody you ain’t riding”!

Thanks for the info! I got this one because it’ wasn’t very expensive and talking with people that mountain bike they suggested starting out with something like that so I can figure out what I am looking for, like and want in a bike before investing a lot of money into one that I may not like. And to make sure that it is something I am going to do before investing a lot of money into. I am excited to start riding because I can do it with my daughter.

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

Mountain biking is a lot of fun as long as you are in decent shape. Or you will want to just fall off your bike and lay on the ground after a few dips and hills. And watch out for those steep narrow edges – sometimes it’s a long way down

Quit roadbiking, too dangerous around here.

Here’s my Lynskey Ridgeline 26 LT

Attachments:
    utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Have to get back on my Hemp protein and Chia seeds. They seemed to give me tons of extra energy and I’ve have been off it for the winter.

A Working Pro since 2004

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

nice bike – i like the disc brakes.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

When did they start putting disc brakes on bikes?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

When did they start putting disc brakes on bikes?

Since the late 90’s. I’ve had disks on my bikes since 2003. Much better stopping in the rain compared to the rim brakes. Most road bikes still use rim brakes since the disks weigh a lot more.

There are two types of disk brakes. Mechanical which uses cables like rim brakes and hydraulic which uses fluid.

Mechanical ones are nice since you can manually adjust the pad spacing but the spring tension of the caliper and brake lever hurts my hands during long rides. Hydraulic disks self center so the caliper adjustment is critical. Both have it’s pluses and minuses.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Looks like we got a spammer @Dabbs

Thanks guys for letting me know, I may not had seen this without your help. I’ll take care of it, Again Thanks for the Tag 🙂

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

I havent been mountain biking since i left Az, just not enough trails here and doing a drive so i can go for a ride isnt for me.

staker
    Pro

Was out snowshoeing for work the past couple of days. The conditions sucked was p to the knees most of the time and mid thigh a lot as well. I think I cleaned the plague out of the arteries. 3 miles the first day and about a mile the second.

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

whats nice about the disk brakes also is that if you are offroad you dont get as much buildup around the brake from debris (leaves and dirt, etc) that would otherwise collect around the tire and clog up the brake on the rim otherwise.

@TonyG
    Dead on dude! Start small, get a feel for it. The best way is when you have your first crash. That’s normally when you decide if your going to keep up with it and spend some cash. I don’t want to sound like a mommy but always wear a helmet and glasses. I’ve gotten some good pokes in the face and smashed some glasses but better a pair of shades than eye surgery. Once you upgrade the gear ranges and brakes not to mention suspension improve your ride exponentially but dropping a bone on a cheap bike is always the way to start in my opinion. A lot cheaper and you appreciate your next bike much more.

I actually agree with you on that. But I just dropped 1500 on that Scott! Besides it is great training for cross country…you know dodge that Ford, jump that loose dog….;)

I actually agree with you on that. But I just dropped 1500 on that Scott! Besides it is great training for cross country…you know dodge that Ford, jump that loose dog….;)

True, but it’s the one that you don’t see that will get you. When I lived in the city it was easier to ride since there was a lot of road to maneuver around in. No that I live in a more rural area there are mostly two lane roads with hardly any shoulders. More vehicle-bike accidents here in recent years.

Helmets are a must. I cracked one at the top after a big crash years ago and always wear one.

I used to work at a Triathlon shop and there were a lot of people buying $1000+ bikes and they wanted the cheapest helmet. Didn’t understand that.

Don’t know about the cheapest bike and upgrade route. I didn’t like to BS customers when selling a bike. A lot of people bought better bikes after riding their initial choice and me pointing out the benefits of the better bike. I would let them ride the bike in their price point and then put them on a similar bike with the better stuff. Most of the time they would get he better ones.

A lot of the time, bike companies use one frame and varies the group set on the bike to change price points. For example, my one and only road bike was a Trek 5200. That year Trek made a high end Dura Ace equipped 5500, my mid range Ultegra based 5200 and a lower end Shimano 105 grouped 5000. All of them had the same frame but prices varied a lot.

I got the 5200 since I got a employee discount from Trek. Sold back some of the Ultegra parts to the store and got upgraded Dura Ace.

I usually go for the middle of the line stuff. It’s more than enough for the average to expert rider.

Also consider a used bike. A lot of people buy expensive bikes and only ride them a few times. You could get a good deal if you know what you are looking for. I’ve bought more used bikes than new ones.

If you know how to wrench and build a bike, consider buying a frame and building from there. The Lynskey shown in the pic was built that way. I got the frame directly from Lynskey and bought parts online and used some used parts. The fork was a like new, used Cannondale Lefty and was adapted to fit the non-Cannondale frame. Wheels I got from Craigslist for real cheap because it was listed for months and the guy just wanted to get rid of them.

New price for something like that would be more than $4000. Don’t think I got more than $2300 into it and the frame itself was $1600.

Shop around and there are a lot of deals to be found.

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

i wear a helmet when i go mountain biking. i’ve crashed a few times and the only ones that scare me are when i am zipping around very quickly zig zagging or when i am at the top of a very steep hill. i dont wear protective glasses but i usually have sun glasses that offer good coverage – until something real wacks me i guess.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Its a great idea, but if you don’t work out regularly now you probably won’t even if the gym is in your home.

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

Its a great idea, but if you don’t work out regularly now you probably won’t even if the gym is in your home.

i find it easier to stick with it if you workout in a gym rather than on your own at home. more motivation around you.

i just work like an animal and play men’s league ice hockey once a week. i’m in much better shape than most people, but nowhere near the shape i was in in high school when i could run a 5:30 mile.

I hear you on that part of hard work ,and play hard. Me to I play ice hockey love the sport, playing tuesday night and again thursday night. what position you playing, I’m in goal.

i wear a helmet when i go mountain biking. i’ve crashed a few times and the only ones that scare me are when i am zipping around very quickly zig zagging or when i am at the top of a very steep hill. i dont wear protective glasses but i usually have sun glasses that offer good coverage – until something real wacks me i guess.

The first time I went mountain biking on a local trail, I didn’t have a helmet. It was fun, but realized I needed to buy one before I went the next time. I am looking forward to warm weather so I can go again this year.

i find it easier to stick with it if you workout in a gym rather than on your own at home. more motivation around you.

I find that true, too. When I had a gym membership, I used to go pretty often. They have better equipment and you’re there. I also find it easier to go right after work instead of going home first. When I go home I tend not to want to go and find other stuff to do instead.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 83 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.413 seconds