dcsimg

Home Depot Paint

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I was at the Home Depot trying to get another two gallons of paint, and was told they no longer offer FLAT finish paint, interior or exterior.

I normally use Benjamin Moore, but for rentals that tenants abuse that I have to recoat every year, I get the cheaper HD paint.

The two major brands there are Behr and Glidden, and BOTH of them will discontinue the FLAT finish, for both interior and exterior. The closest they will have from now on is SATIN.

All my exterior paint is FLAT. A lot of the interior ceiling, and closet/bath walls are also flat.

I think the biggest challenge will be white. I won’t be able to match white with another brand’s white.

Different brands have all kinds of white, SUPER WHITE, ULTRA WHITE, SOFT WHITE, BRIGHT WHITE, EXTRA WHITE…don’t really know or care which one is which, as long as it’s the same. I am going to have an issue if I open a hole in the ceiling and try to paint the patch that was painted with BEHR ULTRA WHITE FLAT, and what paint in SW or BM can I match it with. You can’t take a white sample to match a white.

Yikes!

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Try a different store.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

It’s not a store by store decision.

This is a corporate move by Behr and Glidden to DISCONTINUE flat finish paint. It may not be implemented country wide by it will be eventually.

Of course I will be able to match paint color and finish/sheen with other brands like BM or SW.

The tough ones will be white. Some of the rental walls and ceiling are white. Some are Behr Extra White some are Behr Ultra White. It’s very difficult to match white to another white. Which means if I change fixtures or open holes for repairs, I have to paint edge to edge, touch up will be close to impossible.

Geeze that’s a bummer ,
    And it’s not something you want to buy lots of and store just in case ,
    Might have to find another solution, may unfortunately have more work eventually painting , closets are not to bad , but I can see doing a complete ceiling especially if it’s open concept places ,
    Hopefully you can figure something out

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

ceiling are white.

We usually keep a 5 gal bucket of white on hand. Semi-gloss though you can get eggshell I think, which is flatter. We get it at Walmart, or the local lumber store, whichever is cheaper. I think the last one we got is Pittsburg brand.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I never liked flat paint. I thought it got dirty faster and didn’t scrub up as good. I always use satin on my walls and semi gloss on the ceilings . I guess its all personal preference .

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

by Behr and Glidden to DISCONTINUE flat finish paint.

I know Glidden paint is sold other stores then Home Depot. I got 3 gallons of Glidden ceiling paint Dulux paint store last fall.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

ceiling are white.

We usually keep a 5 gal bucket of white on hand. Semi-gloss though you can get eggshell I think, which is flatter. We get it at Walmart, or the local lumber store, whichever is cheaper. I think the last one we got is Pittsburg brand.

I use to buy my paint by the 5 gal paint til the paint guy at the local hardware wasn’t any cheaper to do this.

Greg

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

We bought some paint from Rona that was on sale for the rental unit. The local store on had 3 cans of left. So we went to another town to get the other 2 gallons we need. It turned out that all cans of paint were tinted the same. It was pita. I used more paint then planned to do this job.

Greg

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I never liked flat paint. I thought it got dirty faster and didn’t scrub up as good. I always use satin on my walls and semi gloss on the ceilings . I guess its all personal preference .

I do just the opposite. I do flat on ceiling because lighting could make it easy to see imperfection. I do eggshell on walls and semi-gloss on trims and mouldings. So just white I have three finishes.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.357 seconds