dcsimg

Holy Smokes! Makita released a new 12" LXTx2 DBSCMS

This topic contains 43 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  CB 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 44 total)
  • Author

CB
    Pro

Dual bevel, dual battery, dual dust collection vacuum pick up (catching both the up chuck into the blade guard and the throw back onto the pivot axis of dust and chips), dual offset angle rail (with zero clearance behind the saw, like the Kapex and the Glide), and now… 12″! Stunning.

No press release, no fan fare, no chest beating, no announcements. The darn saw just quietly appeared on the new products page.

Nice new castings on the extension wings.

Yep, it’ll fit against a wall:

Well, one day, when/if I get tired of dimming wonky wall circuits repairing 75 year old WWII era tract homes with hold over Edison screw fuses and knob and tube wiring, this will be in my truck.

I have the new 1219ls electric model and really like the bevel adjust in the front i just never could get behind a big tool like this running on battery.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Dual bevel, dual battery, dual dust collection vacuum pick up (catching both the up chuck into the blade guard and the throw back onto the pivot axis of dust and chips), dual offset angle rail (with zero clearance behind the saw, like the Kapex and the Glide), and now… 12″! Stunning.

Looks very light too.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

No press release, no fan fare, no chest beating, no announcements. The darn saw just quietly appeared on the new products page.

Well, one day, when/if I get tired of dimming wonky wall circuits repairing 75 year old WWII era tract homes with hold over Edison screw fuses and knob and tube wiring, this will be in my truck.

That does look like really nice saw and nice it is cordless.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

Clev08
    Pro

For me I don’t think i’ll Ever get a cordless 12” saw. I don’t want to chew through my batteries that fast. I could see the practicality of a cordless 7 1/4 like Milwaukee’s that weighs less than 30 pounds.

Nice looking saw, does Makita have an option that allows battery tools to be plugged into AC?

Will

CB
    Pro

No, but I hear that they might be working on that, although it isn’t a priority.

In their words, as the Makita reps explained it to me in person, their priority is supporting cordless. Corded adapters are not cordless. They are working on a battery back pack (photo circulating online). I’ve also heard from an employee that larger battery packs are in the works, although no clue as to what form factor that might be (ie, did he mean the quad battery back pack? did he mean a three row battery pack? did he mean different internal cell density in the same form factor two row battery pack? etc).

This coming Friday I’ve scheduled some time to once again meet MakitaUSA manufacturer reps as Makita’s Driving Innovation tour rolls through a nearby town. The last time they were within the area, I ended up teaching them more about their OPE product line than any of the dozen Makita reps on hand knew themselves.

They were all kind of embarrassed, but as I explained to them… I had just done an exhaustive comparison of the three traffic light choices in tools in the USA (red, yellow, green) that offer a comprehensive line up of construction tools, along with a companion line up of OPE that uses the same battery platform. And Makita won that comparison hands down, so it just so happened that all the information was fresh in my head at the time I met up with Makita’s traveling tool truck.

This next week, my focus will have shifted back to construction tools, as I plan to sell off or donate to Habitat for Humanity the cordless tools of other brands (some SBD, some TTI) and pare things down to one battery platform. I now have over a dozen 6 ah Maktia batteries floating around, and have never lacked for power.

I will ask the guys once again your question about an AC power adapter. If any other BTP member reading this post has any Makita questions that they want asked, please post up, and when I catch up with the Makita folks next week, I’ll ask your questions, and then post their answers, to the extent that they are able to answer.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@cb I wonder if they will be producing any of the newer battery packs with the newer more powerful cells instead of the current ones
    I’m not sure if they started building with the 21700 or whatever they are
    I Know they were still using the 18650 ?

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I could see the practicality of a cordless 7 1/4 like Milwaukee’s that weighs less than 30 pounds.

That is a nice combination, cordless and light. Anybody have the weight of this new one from Makita?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

CB
    Pro

A 7-1/4″ saw can cross cut a lot of materials that are laid flat…

But once the boards are stood upright, get thicker, and/or the angles get compound, the smaller blade won’t cut it (ha ha).

The working weight of the new 12″ cordless Makita with batteries and blade on board is 69.1 lbs.

Any stand is not included in that weight, of course.

CB
    Pro

Check out this “Dust Box” accessory for Makita’s 10″ and 12″ cordless compound miter saws.

This is an example where Makita’s marketing department fails to explain the features and benefits of the invention. A simple photo of it installed on the saw would be nice.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

The working weight of the new 12″ cordless Makita with batteries and blade on board is 69.1 lbs.

Hmm, at 30kg that’s for the reno guys.
    I can’t see meself hauling it in and out of my truck everyday just to cut some mouldings.
    But, it looks sexy, got to admit that.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Check out this “Dust Box” accessory for Makita’s 10″ and 12″ cordless compound miter saws.

Wow that is really nice.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I can’t see meself hauling it in and out of my truck everyday just to cut some mouldings.

A bit on the heavy side for portability. I like the Milwaukee one at 30 lbs.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

But, it looks sexy, got to admit that.

Yeah for sure
    I think the little 8 1/2 inch would be practical for most of the moldings ,

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I will stick with my 28 lb 7 1/2″ Makita cordless. a 70 pound saw really defeats the purpose of cordless in my opinion.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I will stick with my 28 lb 7 1/2″ Makita cordless. a 70 pound saw really defeats the purpose of cordless in my opinion.

I feel the same way. a 70lb saw needs to be on a bench in a shop, plugged in.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie
    Pro

That’s what I’d be opting for as well for a cordless miter saw. The ease of portability is what would attract me to a cordless model.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I think a cordless miter saw should be less than 35 lbs to be easily portable.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I think a cordless miter saw should be less than 35 lbs to be easily portable.

MY thoughts exactly, cordless for cordless sake does not make sense. I love the cordless tools I have and would not trade them for anything, but While you hear a lot about cordless jobsites, I think it really depends on the size of the site. Smaller remodels and things like that, yes. Whole houses and bigger jobs, it would be tough.

What is the difference with running cords to battery chargers or running cords to a saw.

There is a place for cordless and a place for corded, my 2 cents worth.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.912 seconds