dcsimg

Hickory vs Pecan

This topic contains 14 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  GTokley 2 days, 8 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

I have on occasion worked with Hickory up here (in french we call it Noyer Blanc, which actually translates to White Walnut) and find it to be interesting.

I have always wondered about Pecan, and have always wanted a chance to find it – but unlike almost every exotic and domestic, it does not seem to exist for purchase in Canada.

This morning, I read that Pecan is just another word for Hickory. I had no idea and still don’t know if its accurate.

Can anyone confirm or deny that Pecan and Hickory are one and the same?

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Can anyone confirm or deny that Pecan and Hickory are one and the same?

According to the Wood Database they are often sold as the same thing although there are differences.

http://www.wood-database.com/pecan/

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/true-hickory-and-pecan-hickory/

I didn’t know that they were so similar although my experience with both is as fuel for a smoker lol (Both are really good)

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. -- Red Green

I had learned awhile ago that these woods were treated the same. I love hickory with our kitchen cabinets being rustic hickory. It is one tough wood but the dark and light grain patterns in much of the wood is quite attractive to me. I wish it was more widely available.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I’ve always known pecan as a “cousin” to hickory. Its certainly just as hard!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Don’t tell a southerner hickory and pecan are the same. They are awful proud of their pecan products. LOL

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I thought Pecan was a little darker wood than Hickory. I have Hickory cabinets in my hunting room and they are very light with streaks of dark. I have always thought of Pecan as more of a light tan wood.

the first photo is Hickory, the second Pecan

Don’t tell a southerner hickory and pecan are the same. They are awful proud of their pecan products. LOL

I hear you – it came from wondering why my yard can get rosewood from south america, ebony from Africa, Shisham from India… but no pecan.

For some reason both woods have the same name in French, and a few places seem to say they are interchangeable. Thus my question.

I thought Pecan was a little darker wood than Hickory. I have Hickory cabinets in my hunting room and they are very light with streaks of dark. I have always thought of Pecan as more of a light tan wood.

the first photo is Hickory, the second Pecan

Thanks – I guess I will just have to buy some Noyer Blanc and see which of the two it is. Any chance that’s just variance within two subspecies? (the way Sugar Maple and Hard Maple look a bit different)

Wondering now… Not impossible that we treat them as identical up here and sell both in one rack (although usually only a boule worth at a time) but that where it’s a local wood they take the time to care about the varieties…. I’ve wanted to try Pecan for years. Maybe I can.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I’ve always known pecan as a “cousin” to hickory. Its certainly just as hard!

I have not found pecan to be as hard as hickory. It’s close, but I have found pecan is easier to work with.
    Hickory color is blonder in the sap wood than pecan. And the dark of hickory can be darker than pecan.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

From what I am told you will need sharp blades and plan to resharpen when your done. I have always avoided hickory for that reason.

From what I am told you will need sharp blades and plan to resharpen when your done. I have always avoided hickory for that reason.

That’s another one I didn’t know. Thanks

Looking at the Janka hardness scale, Pecan and Hickory are both up at 1820, which makes them about as much harder than Maple as Maple is harder than Walnut. That’s hardcore.

Also worth noting that on the Janka scale, Pecan and Hickory are listed as the same wood, with exactly the same value
    http://www.superiorflooring.ca/education-center/janka-hardness-scale

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

That is odd, the nuts sure are not the same.
    Never heard of a hickory nut pie ! lol

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

That is odd, the nuts sure are not the same.
    Never heard of a hickory nut pie ! lol

Yep neither have I. Pecan pie is good, I think you roast Hickory nuts.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Local warehouse employee says for their purpose, Hickory and Pecan are interchangeable. Their supplier says pretty much the same thing.

Either way, be ready to have blades/tools resharpened. 🙂

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Sorry for the double posts, not sure if it is something with my computer or what’s up.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I didn’t this about Hickory. I have used hickory lumber before. I have hickory for logs and firewood. I remember hickory being very difficult to split with a wood splitter.

Greg

Work Smarter Not Harder

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.726 seconds