dcsimg

Hi vis

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

how many of you are required to wear hi viability vests or clothing on the job? More and more they are required on the jobs these days. Lets just hope clothing manufactures follow suit and make items to work.

Hint hint bosch hi vis heater jackets

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

I have to wear hi vis stuff all day. It only really sucks in the summer. I should probably buy some hi vis shirts and stuff because i hate wearing a safety vest.

I’m not required but I like to wear the yellow vests. When they first came out I noticed them a lot but now that everyone wears them it’s not as noticeable.

I do like the vests and jackets with the retroreflective materials though.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Our dump truck drivers are required to wear them if they leave the cab of the truck.. I don’t require the carpenters to wear them on the job site. If we are working somewhere that there is traffic, then they wear vests.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

some sites I work on will tell you to go home if you do not have hi vis clothing

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

The summer isnt bad as walmart sells the green t-shirts for $5 each. Winter gets costly its the annoying vest or $30 hoodies and few coats that i would consider warm enough

Anonymous
    Inactive

They were mandatory for the last year I worked, But I resisted and never did wear one. Now I see it’s very common and everyone has one on down there, I think it’s a good idea really

asevereid
    Pro
    Kamloops, BC

😀
    I have SOOO much hi-vis gear sitting in my closet and in my shed from my time setting up camps and doing commercial work.
    I hardly ever have to where it now; we only put it on if there is a lift or equipment on site. But, because I’ve moved into more residential work lately those situations don’t come up as often.
    I ended up getting hi-vis t-shirts finally for work in the summer because I hated having to wear a vest (as light as they are) over a t-shirt in 30-38°C weather.
    My winter jacket and vest have reflective material integrated into them, and I’ve also got some very bright rain gear that gets used occasionally still.

Side note: I haven’t checked…does anyone know if Blaklader offers a vest with hi-vis?

Lurking Hit and Run poster.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I don’t have to, but I frequently do if I’m working in an area that might be dangerous… When others are operating equipment near me or I’m around traffic, etc.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

staker
    Pro

I worked on a job site where they wanted us to wear them on a big roof job so the boss can see that everyone was working while he was sitting in the coffee shop a 1/2 mile away. I never did.Thet are good in certain enviroments. There are guys working in open pits wearing flags on there hard hats.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

my local fleet farm has some surplus UK police and mail carrier jackets for around $30. They look tough but its more a weather shell than for warmth

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I think the Hi-Viz is to keep the guys from hiding while at work, that’s all.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

I think you’re onto something there

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Mainly OSHA regs too so that the guy doesn’t get run over, although they still haven’t accounted for the driver falling asleep or answering his cell phone.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

I have not been required to wear Hi-Vi on any of the High Rises but all the big companies here in Toronto pretty much wear it on High Rises.

A Working Pro since 2004

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I use to wear it all the time when I was selling paint to manufactures. If you get out of your truck hauling grain at some facilities you need it.

It’s a good idea.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I use to wear it all the time when I was selling paint to manufactures. If you get out of your truck hauling grain at some facilities you need it.

It’s a good idea.

yep just like having a hard hat, safety glasses and steel toe shoes. Most of those are required in the US to get on to most construction sites or industrial plants.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

Anonymous
    Inactive

I don’t have to, but I frequently do if I’m working in an area that might be dangerous… When others are operating equipment near me or I’m around traffic, etc.

You hit the nail on the head right there, As an operater of heavy equipment I was glad when they made the guys on the ground wear them. made my job a bit easier

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

Most outfits are doing to to appease insurance companies. Lets be honest almost all the safety is about lowering their comp insurance. I dont mind this one though, most jobs are ok with yellow/green, orange t-shirts or sweatshirts and are not so worried about the reflective aspect

My next order for the company shirts and sweatshirts we be hi-vis . Orange / yellow with green lettering .

Always willing to learn .

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.812 seconds