dcsimg

Help with mobile base for tablesaw.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

evisited the area a year later and it was still in good shape. In some mall parking lot.

Frank,
    That looks like an excellent option. Will be doing some research on that and find out where it can be purchased.
    Thanks much!

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

evisited the area a year later and it was still in good shape. In some mall parking lot.

Frank,
    That looks like an excellent option. Will be doing some research on that and find out where it can be purchased.
    Thanks much!

Stan,
    Hope you can get your hands on the self leveling asphalt. I have contemplated using this or similar on my driveway. It’s that or all new.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Doobie

Nice work on the bandsaw boxes Stan. I always wanted to try that one day. They’re gorgeous! 👌

Upload that build one day please!

Thanks for the comment.

The video is on my list of uploads. 🙂 Just a matter of getting to it.

I have a bunch of those ‘Roundtuits’ too. lol! 😉

No shortage ever of those. 🙁

MTRoads
    Pro

Thanks for all the input guys. Problem solved. I never would have thought a local store would have a mobile base like this, but they did. 🙂

Will still be looking into leveling the floor at a later time, but this will work for now.

Stan

MTRoads
    Pro

Well, the tablesaw is now mobile – first time it has been moved in over 8 years. I don’t think the adjustable legs are going to be sufficient to level it when in place – so finding a solution to fill in the tire ruts in the asphalt is still on the table. But the saw is mobile – that’s the main thing at this point – I can shim it back to level when I do move it out to be used.

First picture shows how far it is off level from front to back.
    Second is how far off level side to side.
    Essentially 3/4″ over 24″ both ways.

Stan

Doobie

Nice to see you at least got the mobility part of it going Stan.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Well, the tablesaw is now mobile – first time it has been moved in over 8 years. I don’t think the adjustable legs are going to be sufficient to level it when in place – so finding a solution to fill in the tire ruts in the asphalt is still on the table. But the saw is mobile – that’s the main thing at this point – I can shim it back to level when I do move it out to be used.

First picture shows how far it is off level from front to back.
    Second is how far off level side to side.
    Essentially 3/4″ over 24″ both ways.

Looking at the ShopFox base, can you modify the levers? somehow retrofitting longer screws?

— Glenn Botting

MTRoads
    Pro

Looking at the ShopFox base, can you modify the levers? somehow retrofitting longer screws?

Frank,
    I am already looking into that. I don’t think the plastic knobs on the leveling screws will last very long unless I lift the base first with something to get the weight off the leveling screws and then screw the levelers down, drop the saw back down, and check for level. The threaded rod the knobs are attached to are pretty rough and don’t screw in or out very easily.
    I have a number of pieces of all-thread, I’m going to check today to see if any fit. If so, I’ll cut off lengths that will work, then put some jamb nuts on the top so I can use a ratchet wrench to do the leveling.
    Main thing is that this will work for now. The saw can be moved quite easily any time I need to re-arrange things. Even with the setup like it is, it will only take a couple minutes to level things to get the saw in use.

Stan

Clev08
    Pro

Frank,
    I am already looking into that. I don’t think the plastic knobs on the leveling screws will last very long unless I lift the base first with something to get the weight off the leveling screws and then screw the levelers down, drop the saw back down, and check for level. The threaded rod the knobs are attached to are pretty rough and don’t screw in or out very easily.
    I have a number of pieces of all-thread, I’m going to check today to see if any fit. If so, I’ll cut off lengths that will work, then put some jamb nuts on the top so I can use a ratchet wrench to do the leveling.
    Main thing is that this will work for now. The saw can be moved quite easily any time I need to re-arrange things. Even with the setup like it is, it will only take a couple minutes to level things to get the saw in use.

How soft is the asphalt still, the feet under the leveler so may not be big enough to keep the saw from sinking

MTRoads
    Pro

How soft is the asphalt still, the feet under the leveler so may not be big enough to keep the saw from sinking

Austin,
    The existing levelers are two piece. The bottom with the foot is just a straight shank about 3″ long with a magnet at the top. The magnet grabs the threaded rod with the handle that comes down from the top.
    I’m not really fond of that setup, along with the fact that I may need to raise it further than the shank with the foot, possibly allowing it to fall free.
    My plan is to just all-thread and make a couple blocks that have a metal plate attached to the top – I figure 4″ square should be plenty. The all-thread will then drive into that raising the base.
    Great question though as I do think there would be a problem with the existing feet sinking into the asphalt due to their small size.

Stan

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I figure 4″ square should be plenty. The all-thread will then drive into that raising the base.

4″ feet should be plenty sturdy to keep it from sinking in the asphalt. My only concern would be long term? if left in place for say a month, would it start to sink in?

— Glenn Botting

MTRoads
    Pro

I figure 4″ square should be plenty. The all-thread will then drive into that raising the base.

4″ feet should be plenty sturdy to keep it from sinking in the asphalt. My only concern would be long term? if left in place for say a month, would it start to sink in?

Not a problem, the blocks I had leveling the saw for the past 7 or 8 years didn’t sink in at all. They were also about 4″ square.

Stan

Clev08
    Pro

Not a problem, the blocks I had leveling the saw for the past 7 or 8 years didn’t sink in at all. They were also about 4″ square.

Sounds good! I’ve seen motorcycles parked on asphalt that looked like they were going to tip over because the kickstand had sunk in.

MTRoads
    Pro

Sounds good! I’ve seen motorcycles parked on asphalt that looked like they were going to tip over because the kickstand had sunk in.

I am quite familiar with that. It only happened to me one time. 🙂 After that I had a specific spot to park with a concrete pad for the stand.

Stan

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

That looks like a nice roller base for the saw.
    It sounds like you need to bust that asphalt outa there and place some concrete in there.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I am quite familiar with that. It only happened to me one time. 🙂 After that I had a specific spot to park with a concrete pad for the stand.

Use to be a guy at work who that had happened to. He got smart and kept a foot long 2″ x 6″ in the lot to use under the stand.

— Glenn Botting

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Use to be a guy at work who that had happened to. He got smart and kept a foot long 2″ x 6″ in the lot to use under the stand.

I wonder how well that worked. I would have thought a 2x would have stood the bike to upright.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

If you need something to help raise the saw while your are turning the leveling screws, how about getting some air bags, inflatable shims, whatever you want to call them. Quick and easy. I know there are some pretty durable one’s out there as well.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/PRY-BAR-INFLATABLE-AIR-SHIM/169130943?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=147&adid=22222222227038583137&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=85473089090&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=193523158850&veh=sem

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

If you need something to help raise the saw while your are turning the leveling screws, how about getting some air bags, inflatable shims, whatever you want to call them. Quick and easy. I know there are some pretty durable one’s out there as well.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/PRY-BAR-INFLATABLE-AIR-SHIM/169130943?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=147&adid=22222222227038583137&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=85473089090&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=193523158850&veh=sem

i wonder how the stability would be when you are running larger stock? would it wobble because of the air shims?

MTRoads
    Pro

Sven,
    A plain ol’ crowbar works just spiffy (and I already have three of them in the shop). 🙂

Stan

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 88 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.862 seconds