dcsimg

Help with mobile base for tablesaw.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

I have a Delta Hybrid table saw that I need to make ‘mobile’. Simply adding wheels/casters on a frame would be easy enough, but my shop is a converted carport.

Which means the floor is asphalt, and has ruts from vehicles being driven/parked on it in prior years and is no where near level and even.

What I am looking for is ideas for a mobile base to move the saw when I need, but a leveling system that is reasonably easy to implement. I was thinking of was a metal frame with 3/4″ nuts welded on the 4 corners and middle of the longest span. Seems it would be easy enough to use the bolts to level the saw quickly with a ratchet.

Has anyone seen a commercial base with something like this, or am I pretty much going to have to fabricate what I need?

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

Kamster
    Pro

Is this the type of base you were thinking about?

Attachments:
    Doobie

You’re doomed unless you get into overkill, your saw will continuously get out of alignment. There’s no pre-made base I’m aware of that you can buy that will avert that issue with going over driveway moguls.

Even with a real cabinet saw, on much less demanding surface/terrain, moving a saw around other than a bench top saw lends the saw to getting out of whack with most setups.

A solid heavy duty base made of welded square metal stock is the best solution. And that’s not cheap.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

yah i have the problem as well and there isn’t a way to get around it, unless you layer something on top the asphalt to level it out. However is it an indoor garage?

This one looks as if it has what your looking to do …

This one is a king and has an extended table.

Carpenter and Joiner

Joiner ... a person who constructs the wooden components of a building, such as stairs, doors, and door and window frames.

Carpenter ... cutting, shaping and installation of building materials during the construction of buildings, ships, timber bridges, concrete formwork.

1970 ... to present.

They may even make one as an attachment

http://www.deltamachinery.com/accessories/bases/item/50-274?category_id=46

Carpenter and Joiner

Joiner ... a person who constructs the wooden components of a building, such as stairs, doors, and door and window frames.

Carpenter ... cutting, shaping and installation of building materials during the construction of buildings, ships, timber bridges, concrete formwork.

1970 ... to present.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

yah but his floor is all wobbly and rutted, so if it isn’t balanced it will still be out of square no?

MTRoads
    Pro

Is this the type of base you were thinking about?

That’s pretty much exactly what I was looking for with the leveling screws on all 4 corners.

Thanks much, didn’t know Shop Fox had that one.

Stan

This is my contractors saw. I removed the original base and built my own. It is slightly different now, but holds everything for the saw right on it. The long wheel base helps, it is about 6′ long. I have used it on the lawn many times and that is a pretty lumpy area. Locking castors help.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

MTRoads
    Pro

That one doesn’t seem to be quite as adjustable for uneven floors as the other, and only 2 turning wheels.
    Thanks for the link though. 🙂

Stan

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

You may be out of luck unless you build something with adjustable wheels. Many casters come with a threaded stud that could be used as an adjustment point if necessary.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Stan,
    Most if not all those mobile dollies made for machinery has small castors that would not do will in the conditions you’re working in.

You might have to make something that have at least a pair of 4″ castors on one end and a leveling device at the other.
    With 4″ casters, you should be able to roll it around your carport easier.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

MTRoads
    Pro

Stan,
    Most if not all those mobile dollies made for machinery has small castors that would not do will in the conditions you’re working in.

You might have to make something that have at least a pair of 4″ castors on one end and a leveling device at the other.
    With 4″ casters, you should be able to roll it around your carport easier.

Frank,
    Thanks for the input. What I am sort of thinking is to have castors large enough to easily roll across the asphalt floor. Then have leveling screws in each corner that would be used to level the saw.
    Built in such a way that the highest point would require the leveling screw on that corner just barely touch the floor, the others doing the leveling to keep the overall saw height as low as possible. (I’m comfortable with the height as it is).
    Thanks,

Stan

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

are you talking about these ones, the self leveling casters.

http://www.amazon.com/WoodRiver-Machine-Leveling-Caster-Mounted/dp/B0039ZIPL4

MTRoads
    Pro

are you talking about these ones, the self leveling casters.

http://www.amazon.com/WoodRiver-Machine-Leveling-Caster-Mounted/dp/B0039ZIPL4

Interesting, but the description states only 1/2″ of lift – and that they are not designed as levelers.

The intent is not to be moving the TS every week or so, more like once every 3-4 months, but I’d rather not have to block and shim things each time I decide to rearrange due to the size of an upcoming project.

Stan

Clev08
    Pro

I have a Delta Hybrid table saw that I need to make ‘mobile’. Simply adding wheels/casters on a frame would be easy enough, but my shop is a converted carport.

Which means the floor is asphalt, and has ruts from vehicles being driven/parked on it in prior years and is no where near level and even.

What I am looking for is ideas for a mobile base to move the saw when I need, but a leveling system that is reasonably easy to implement. I was thinking of was a metal frame with 3/4″ nuts welded on the 4 corners and middle of the longest span. Seems it would be easy enough to use the bolts to level the saw quickly with a ratchet.

Has anyone seen a commercial base with something like this, or am I pretty much going to have to fabricate what I need?

Maybe you could make a triangular base that the 4 legs can sit on. Your saw may not be level but all three wheels will be on the ground. One drawback to doing this would be the base would have to stick out past the footprint of the saw on one side to maintain stability.

Clev08
    Pro

Just drew a picture to help get my idea across, hopefully my description makes sense.

Attachments:
    58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Understood Stan.

What you need is to design something that will have the wheels at just slightly lower than the base itself. here are a few examples. Leveling screws from a Fridge, dryer or washing machine should be sturdy enough.

You will definitely need locking castors, in case only one, two or three leveling screws need to be adjusted.

This one is a kit that can be purchased and has the leveing screws on two corners.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

@58chev, i don’t understand how that wood one moves up and down? unless it relies on the locking casters to not move? it looks like the same bandsaw as mine and i use the regular moving base.

MTRoads
    Pro

Maybe you could make a triangular base that the 4 legs can sit on. Your saw may not be level but all three wheels will be on the ground. One drawback to doing this would be the base would have to stick out past the footprint of the saw on one side to maintain stability.

A viable option, but leveling is pretty much a requirement. The part of the frame you drew up that sticks out past the footprint of the saw wouldn’t be much of an issue as the outfeed table and a couple other things could be hung on the wall with that part of the frame rolling under it when stored.
    Thanks,

Stan

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 88 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.456 seconds