dcsimg

heavy loaded truck drove in new driveway in 24 hours after pouring

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

An expensive lesson that it took almost 20 years to learn, never had a problem before.

You know what they say learn something new every day.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

An expensive lesson that it took almost 20 years to learn, never had a problem before.

You know what they say learn something new every day.

just when you think you have a pretty good handle on things something like that happens

Doobie

I have seen barricades with a sign on them saying do not remove until a certain date. Due to issues we had with salt dripping off of vehicles on a drivE at a house we were working on last winter, going forward, we will not be allowing any traffic but foot traffic on drives until the home is turned over to the owner.

Is that for concrete or asphalt driveways? In these parts, very few people have concrete driveways. Most concrete driveways are in fact redos from what was originally an asphalt driveway. I think with an asphalt driveway they recommend typically to stay off them with the car for about three days IIRC.

We had our old single car width drive done to a two car 19 foot wide one two years ago which is the maximum allowed in my area. As we had to wait for a another contractor to do surrounding stone work, it had almost three months settling time of the granular sub base to settle. There has been almost no discernable signs of rutting. You can only see when it’s wet what might be a few millimeters at the most of any wheel rut depressions. I’m quite satisfied with that and the asphalt guys didn’t get any messiness on the perimeter pavers including a soldier course we had done as part of it along both sides.

When we had the driveway widening done we had to get a permit and pay for a curb cut. Cost us an extra $375 to get that from the town. I was a bit miffed at the time, but when I spoke to the contrator who did the curb cut, he said that price was actually in line with most other municipalities and all he makes is less than $100 on them for up to a meter cut for which the town has a $175 charge to me of my total permit and cutting charges. He said in a town called Vaughn just on the outskirts of Toronto like where I live, it runs over $1000 for driveway widening like mine and you have to go thru what is essentially like applying for a variance with getting letters out to neighbors and getting their OK. One neighbor objects, you don’t get your driveway widened NOR does the town give you any of your money back. That sucks! Glad I don’t live in Vaughn.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

For us, very few asphalt drives, almost everything is concrete. the only asphalt drive I have ever installed was on a rural property that was like 500 feet off of the road and on some commercial projects.

In this case salt dripping off of mud flaps ate the surface of the drive or so we think, I also believe the concrete was not up to spec, the sub ordered the wrong mix and the finishing was not up to snuff also. we settled on half each for replacement. I still have a sample of the drive that we will be doing Petrographic analysis on tho determine the root cause. It can tell the exact mix, air quantity, if water was added at the jobsite, finishing quality and whether salt was added to the mix.

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

I didn’t see that the person who posted this has not replied yet. Could it ne a spam or a opps? I would think by now they would reply back.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

n this case salt dripping off of mud flaps ate the surface of the drive or so we think,

Wow interesting that salt would ruin a new concrete drive so fast.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

n this case salt dripping off of mud flaps ate the surface of the drive or so we think,

Wow interesting that salt would ruin a new concrete drive so fast.

I not really surprised, the previous house we bought, was a model home, the house had no gutters, the real estate agent kept putting down salt on the stairs in the winter, just one season and the stairs had to be completely Re surfaced 🙁

Hi @liandhan do you have an update for us on your driveway conditions from the truck being parked on fresh concrete .

Always willing to learn .

Doobie

Hi @liandhan do you have an update for us on your driveway conditions from the truck being parked on fresh concrete .

He’s not reponded since he joined and put up this thread despite a few taggings for feedback on his outcome. I doubt we’ll ever find out at this point.

He’s not reponded since he joined and put up this thread despite a few taggings for feedback on his outcome. I doubt we’ll ever find out at this point.

To bad this one would be an awesome learning experience for us . Since it happened so soon to his driveway . I would like to learn more about it . Fingers crossed he returns .

Hello everyone, Thank you for your concern. I’m sorry I didn’t check the forum because I’m so busy for moving. A manager of the home builder ( one of largest national home builder) met me before closing and he told me they wouldn’t extend the warrantee and also no compensation because he thought the driveway was good. Please let me know if the manager’s decision is reasonable and what I can do next.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I think it will be fine.. the concrete is hard in 24 hours.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Here is some information I found about strength and age of concrete in the first few days. I would say it may even be low as most concrete I have had tested typically exceeds the 28 day design strength at 28 days in real world conditions

Attachments:
    RyanF
    Pro

Hello everyone, Thank you for your concern. I’m sorry I didn’t check the forum because I’m so busy for moving. A manager of the home builder ( one of largest national home builder) met me before closing and he told me they wouldn’t extend the warrantee and also no compensation because he thought the driveway was good. Please let me know if the manager’s decision is reasonable and what I can do next.

Yes, it was reasonable. There was also no chance he was going to tell you anything other than what he did. Youre not going get monetary compensation for a problem you cant identify.

If you are convinced a specific negligent act has occured that has compromised the integrity of the concrete, i would say your only recourse is to hire an attorney that will requisition concrete experts that can somehow prove to such.

redwood
    Pro

the driveway is definitely damaged because a truck with heavy load was driven in the driveway within around 24 hours after the driveway concrete pouring.

This statement was from the original poster. With that, I initially assumed there was visible damage. I guess not.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Masterbosch
    Pro
    Wayne, NJ

Nothing won’t happen driveway concrete mix is about 7000psi. 24 hour is a good time for it to dry. Concrete cures for 25 days but when it’s hardened it’s okey you’ll still have atleast 2000psi rated concrete in 24 hours.

plusoneconstructionllc@gmail.com

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

I would think if your not happy (being the customer) that there should be something that could be done or come to a agreement on.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I would think if your not happy (being the customer) that there should be something that could be done or come to a agreement on.

That’s the customer’s mentality for sure…try looking at it from the other side of the equation.

If nothing is wrong with a product, they why should the contractor bend to the customer’s demand because he (uneducated on the subject aside from Google) says so? The internet is chock full of misinformation!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Nothing won’t happen driveway concrete mix is about 7000psi. 24 hour is a good time for it to dry. Concrete cures for 25 days but when it’s hardened it’s okey you’ll still have atleast 2000psi rated concrete in 24 hours.

around here most concrete drives are 4000 to 4500 PSI. giving them a 24 hour strength of 540 to 600 psi. probably enough to support the truck without damage, but I would not try it.

That’s if they used the right mix on his driveway .

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.504 seconds