dcsimg

heavy loaded truck drove in new driveway in 24 hours after pouring

This topic contains 39 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Skillman 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 40 total)
  • Author

Driveway and side walk concrete of my new house was poured on morning of July 1, 2017, Saturday.

Next day, July 2 2017 Sunday, A contractor drove their truck with heavy load ( all granite counter tops of kitchen, 2 bath rooms and a computer desk) in the driveway to download granite counter tops from the truck and moved the materials into the house do setup.

I understand it was too difficult for them to move these heavy counter tops from street into the house. However, the driveway is definitely damaged because a truck with heavy load was driven in the driveway within around 24 hours after the driveway concrete pouring.

The American Concrete Institute and the American Concrete Pavement Association recommend a minimum of seven days following concrete placement before using a concrete driveway( http://www.consolidatedconcrete.com/resources-faqs.html#q3 ). It should take much more days for a heavy loaded truck to use the driveway. You can understand I’m very concern about the durability and longevity of the driveway.

I would like to ask concrete experts how damage the concrete driveway is after a heavy loaded truck was drove in it within around 24 hours after driveway concrete pouring. What are solutions for this damaged driveway?

Can you give me your suggestions to deal with this?Anybody may have met the things like this. I really appreciate your time and help!

RyanF
    Pro

How damaged is it? As you said, “definitely damaged.”

1. Remove damaged driveway
    2. Pour new driveway
    4. Dont let anyone drive on it for 7 days*

*Important

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

How damaged is it?

That’s my question too. Is it visibly damaged? Or is that you think it is damaged but cannot discern any damage looking at it?

Kevin.

Support your local VIKING.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Dang, that sucks :/ Did you take pictures before and after? Or document it in any way (receipts or invoice from the pour maybe)? Especially if the driver or delivering company knew about it, that’s something they should definitely take responsibility for. I hope you can get it fixed for you!

Charlie

Instagram

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@liandhan, that’s not good, would like to see some pictures,

First off, didn’t the people doing the driveway put up barrier to let people know it was just done, I think that’s a must, some sort of cones or tape across,
    If they did, then in my opinion that is definitely the falt of the delivery people who crossed the barrier?

Good luck on getting this taken care of, please let us know what the outcome is.

KeeganC
    Pro
    Bloomington, IN

First, I’m not a concrete expert, and obviously anyone on site should know that the slab shouldn’t be driven on at that point….. but if it’s not visibly damaged on the surface, I would imagine it’s going to be ok. I think if it were me in this situation, I would make a complaint with the builder and the granite company that drove on it, and agree to wait and see if any signs that the slab is compromised become evident and in that case then move forward with replacement. I don’t see any reason to jump to conclusions if there isn’t any visible damage. That’s no small task to break up and remove a driveway.

I realize that the concrete hasn’t reached its full strength yet, but think about mixes being rated at 3,000-5,000 psi compressive strength, and how much that truck might weigh dispersed over what, at least 100 sq inches, probably more. I don’t know, I am admittedly a born skeptic, but to me it doesn’t seem to be that disastrous.

When you get a chance, take some pictures and upload them here. Most of the time they tell more than words

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I am admittedly a born skeptic, but to me it doesn’t seem to be that disastrou

I agree. If it appears fine at this point, lodge your complaint with the countertop company and wait and see what happens. I have to believe that if the surface looks okay now (the truck didn’t sink) then it will likely be fine in the long run.

Also, @liandhan, why wasn’t the driveway blocked off? Sure, you may know not to drive on it for a week, but without a physical barrier, how would anyone else know?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@jponto07 that’s exactly what I don’t understand, if they just finished the cement driveway the day before, I would assume any typical contractor would put up some sort of barrier to block off the driveway,
    I would definitely be inquiring about that from the company who did the driveway.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Guys around here use either road cones or caution tape to mark a fresh driveway. The only way someone is driving onto it is if they get out of their truck and move them out of the way.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

below is a concrete strength curve. the beginning of the curve is fairly steep. the strength in the first few days increases rapidly.

In reality, the weight of the granite tops is not that great. 1″ granite weighs about 12.5 pounds per square foot so even 100 square feet of granite would only be about 2500 pounds.

The general contractor should have maintained barricades on the drive until the 7 days were up, but even without that I doubt any serious damage was caused.

by the end of the first day, your compressive strength is in the 500 psi to 1000 psi range which will handle wheel loads. where an issue would come to play is if the subgrade is soft or you are bridging something.

http://precast.org/2013/10/28-day-myth/

while not recommended to be on it, you are probably OK, but I would get a additional guarantee from the contractor that damage will not appear later on.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Also, @liandhan, why wasn’t the driveway blocked off?

If the drive wasn’t blocked off it’s not even the counter top guys fault. If it wasn’t blocked off the site isn’t well managed and these things will happen in poorly managed sites.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

@liandhan, you still there? You’ve got us all curious for more details.

Kevin.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

It sounds like your more concerned about long term damage, as opposed to visible damage.

Concrete can cure quite quickly. I’ve walked on concrete and stripped the forms as early as 5 hours after pouring with no damage. I’m not a heavy truck, but 200lbs after 5 hours is quite strong.

If there is no visible damage, the best you could do is complain with

a) the contractor who poured the driveway as to why there was no visible / physical barrier set up to prevent damage to the curing concrete – assuming you didn’t remove one

b) the granite contractor in regards to using the freshly poured driveway, ASSUMING that they had some sort of knowledge as to when the driveway was poured.

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

@liandhan, you still there? You’ve got us all curious for more details.

I was thinking of the same thing lol.

keko
    Pro

I agree there should have ben some type of barricade but if you cant see any damage I would say it should be fine.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I agree there should have ben some type of barricade but if you cant see any damage I would say it should be fine.

This is probably what should be done. Likely more reliable than hiring a security guard til it has cured enough.

Kevin.

This is probably what should be done. Likely more reliable than hiring a security guard til it has cured enough.

that might be the best idea just to park another car in front of the driveway.
    I don’t know but caution tape and cones should do the job as well.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

that might be the best idea just to park another car in front of the driveway.
    I don’t know but caution tape and cones should do the job as well.

The problem with that is that someone could simply have in their heads it was only meant to be there while the concrete was still wet and once it’s obviously no longer assume it is an oversight to not have removed the cones or tape-off yet and simply do themselves and drive over it. With a car parked in front, you’d need the owner or a tow truck to get on the driveway.

Kevin.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have seen barricades with a sign on them saying do not remove until a certain date. Due to issues we had with salt dripping off of vehicles on a drivE at a house we were working on last winter, going forward, we will not be allowing any traffic but foot traffic on drives until the home is turned over to the owner.

An expensive lesson that it took almost 20 years to learn, never had a problem before.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.025 seconds