dcsimg

Hearing Protection

Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 182 total)
  • Author
    jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I tried those active noise canceling earmuff, including the ones for shooting and music, they don’t really work for constant high pitched noise from power tools. Now I keep many pairs of ear plugs stuffed in various pockets and if it gets loud I put a earmuff on top. The folding Stanley cut down the most noise, but they are quite big.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I tried those active noise canceling earmuff, including the ones for shooting and music, they don’t really work for constant high pitched noise from power tools.

I figured they would help, guess not.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Dan
    Pro
    Mooreshill, IN

I started using the surefire that Austin talked about. They work decently for occasional noise, ie chopsaw, intermittent tables away, etc. They aren’t really good for constant noise. Decently need something else in a shop, but for the job sight they’re not bad.

No matter how good you think you are you there is always someone that is better, or can teach you something.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

That’s my problem, mine always ring, they never stop.

Mine too, constant tinnitus. I have had it so long (since my teens) that some days I do not even notice it, then there are days that it is all I can hear.

i think i’ve posted this somewhere around here but hey give this a go and see if it works for you, i’ve seen this on reddit and thats where it was posted.

“Place the palms of your hands over your ears with fingers resting gently on the back of your head. Your middle fingers should point toward one another just above the base of your skull. Place your index fingers on top of you middle fingers and snap them (the index fingers) onto the skull making a loud, drumming noise. Repeat 40-50 times. Some people experience immediate relief with this method. Repeat several times a day for as long as necessary to reduce tinnitus.Dr. Jan Strydom, of A2Z of Health, Beauty and Fintess.org.
    This always works for me.”

After you posted the first time. I tried this a few times without any noticeable change.

Same here, tried it, the first couple of times was silent for about 15 seconds but the ringing always came back. Then after it just did not help at all.

that is just too bad, this physical therapist says

“Physical Therapist here
    The most likely mechanism of action is that you inhibited the muscle fibers of the suboccipital musculature, causing them to relax and reduce tension on the back of your head. Common causes of tinnitus (and headaches/migraines) are due to tight, painful suboccipital muscles. These muscles are basically always on because they are working along with the muscles of the neck to keep our heads upright against gravity. In recent years, these muscles are getting taxed more and more as humans spend the majority of their time in front of a computer at work and adjusting constantly to look at a tablet or phone when at home at night. Muscles that are always contracted are short & painful. This is the source of pain for a lot of people who have tinnitus or headaches. Muscles that are overstretched are long and weak.
    Tapping a muscle belly or tendon quickly is a good way to facilitate the muscle to contract. This happens when you go to the doctor and your reflexes get tested. Continual tapping or constant pressure provide the opposite effect: they overload the muscle, causing it to burn up all of it’s electrolytes and ATP and other resources it needs to activate and contract on a regular basis. When muscle cells get depleted, they turn off and once enough cells turn off, the muscle as a whole relaxes and you feel instant pain relief.
    Look up trigger point therapy and myofascial release which are some techniques to use constant pressure at common locations of tightness (including the suboccipital muscles are the base of the skill) to reduce muscle tension for headache relief.
    TL;dr – Constant tapping turns off the overworked muscles at the base of your skull that are a common source of pain for people with tinnitus and headaches.”

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I tried those active noise canceling earmuff, including the ones for shooting and music, they don’t really work for constant high pitched noise from power tools. Now I keep many pairs of ear plugs stuffed in various pockets and if it gets loud I put a earmuff on top. The folding Stanley cut down the most noise, but they are quite big.

I have not noticed if the pair of Firing Range muffs that I have don’t cut down on the constant higher pitched noises. I will have to try and be more conscious of this to see if that’s how they are.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

woodman_412

These are my favorite ear plugs. Buying them in the box of 200 pairs is the cheapest way to go too. The low pressure foam really does make a difference for comfort.

https://www.amazon.ca/Stanley-RST-63002-Pressure-Foam-Earplugs/dp/B002EVP5LM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1465756533&sr=8-1&keywords=stanley+ear+plugs

I talk about them in the safety gear video I did too.

Dan

danpattison.com

Well, all this talk about hearing, my friend and long time co/worker went on Tuesday and Wednesday for hearing tests, the doctor says nothing to do about his hearing in his left ear. It’s finished, not even a hearing aid will help or work, years of noise in the shop and repetitive noise from machinery,

Guys very important to protect the ears as you all mentioned.

I used to take it for granted, and found it hard much of a hassle to put some sort of protection on well not like that anymore, I even think I will use them when cutting the grass.

woodman_412

Well, all this talk about hearing, my friend and long time co/worker went on Tuesday and Wednesday for hearing tests, the doctor says nothing to do about his hearing in his left ear. It’s finished, not even a hearing aid will help or work, years of noise in the shop and repetitive noise from machinery,

I used to take it for granted, and found it hard much of a hassle to put some sort of protection on well not like that anymore, I even think I will use them when cutting the grass.

Wow that’s pretty serious Brian. How much hearing does he have left in his right ear?

Good idea to wear hearing protection when mowing. I always do when mowing, trimming or snow blowing. I find once you make a habit out of hearing protection you don’t even think about it anymore. I always keep a pair of ear plugs in the pocket of my Blaklader pants so that I’m never without them.

Dan

danpattison.com

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

the doctor says nothing to do about his hearing in his left ear. It’s finished,

Man that’s sad.. we must protect our ears.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

we must protect our ears.

Yes we must.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Stories like this are why I always use it now when I am relatively young. Sucks about your friend though.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

That’s rough about your friend Brian. Hearing is a very hard and perminent lesson to learn.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Stories like this are why I always use it now when I am relatively young. Sucks about your friend though.

yah i always try to use them and make other people around me wear them even though they think i am crazy. It just doesn’t matter, extra protection never hurt anyone.

Clev08
    Pro

I try to remember my ear plugs but some times I forget. I usually go with the soft foam in ear ones.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Yes we must.

Yep you really should it sneaks up on you and when it is damaged it is too late.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Yes we must.

Yep you really should it sneaks up on you and when it is damaged it is too late.

That’s the worst part. You loose hearing slowly. So not really noticed till it’s to late.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Wow that’s pretty serious Brian. How much hearing does he have left in his right ear?

Good idea to wear hearing protection when mowing. I always do when mowing, trimming or snow blowing. I find once you make a habit out of hearing protection you don’t even think about it anymore. I always keep a pair of ear plugs in the pocket of my Blaklader pants so that I’m never without them.

Okay guys, I spoke to my friend Lucien today, he’s lost the hearing totally in his left ear, he is going to get fitted for special ear plugs this week,

He said on the weekend it’s not so bad, but when we are in the shop, he said after a days work (with ear plugs in) later on in the evening, he has a ringing in his ear, or more precise behind his head / neck

Thanks for the concern guys.

I always care to my ear and wear earplugs. I’m afraid of tinnitus, which is not curable. I’m really glad to see some beautiful input here.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

What about all those kids with ear buds or head phones on all day blasting?

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

What about all those kids with ear buds or head phones on all day blasting?

Blasting is the right word. I’m well behind them and I hear the music loud and clear.

Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 182 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.578 seconds