dcsimg

Hearing Protection

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 182 total)
  • Author
    hgonzalez7
    Pro
    San Antonio, Texas

Here’s an interesting and lower cost solution:
    http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/safety-gear-upgrades/

Bert

I don’t , but realize that I should have. More concerned with my son. He has been wearning cheaper push in , but think the Blu tooth ones would ensure that he wears them

Here’s an interesting and lower cost solution:

http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/safety-gear-upgrades/

I saw that one and wondered how well it would work. Its cheap enough to try I think.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

I wear my iphone ear buds when in the shop working which kind of just started happening. It’s probably not the best approach though since they aren’t too noise canceling really. It’s probably more of a different noise… lol. They cancel a little but not much. We wear muffs when making tile saw cuts usually or anything that has that “hurt your ears” feeling. Demoing tile or something that’s really noisy usually just throw the foam expanding ones in. I’m young and would like to keep my hearing for years to come.

I don’t think it’s a matter of being cool and not wearing them or some old timer saying “well back in the day we NEVER wore them” He probably also can’t hear what you’re saying now… lol.

I even wore them installing cabinets at my brother’s house and my dad was nailing down bamboo flooring in the kitchen and it’s a house they just bought. It has nothing at all in it to deaden sound so that nailer was LOUD. Painful ears every time it shot. So… I wore plugs all day, and it was quite. Well worth it to me.

For shop use I wouldn’t mind trying the bluetooth ear muff idea. Wouldn’t use that for demo on a job site I don’t believe… but shop work which is by myself mostly can be nice to have some tunes.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I like to use hearing plugs when the wifeys in a bad mood!

That a boy LOL, I have automatic built-in noise cancelling ears for that. Plugs aren’t always available.

My job had us all get fitted for those custom formed ones once, I hated them. The rubber they used was kinda greasy or something weird and they were very itchy, and hard to get in and out. I used them for two days and threw em away

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

to get dirty

are dirty

I don’t use them often but when I do I use the over the ears, ear muffs kind.

I don’t use them often but when I do I use the over the ears, ear muffs kind.

I have a cheap pair of these from HF – they work plenty fine at reducing the overall dB, but boy, they squeeze my head and make me think my head will explode

John S

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I find ear muffs uncomfortable as well. If you want to use hearing protection it must be comfortable. I prefer ear plugs.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Brackers
    Pro
    Waterloo, Ontario

I never used to wear them but in the last few years I have used them for all the loudest work. I wish I had started when younger I often get a slight ringing in my years at night when its very quiet.
    You should always try as best as you can to wear PPE, not just for now but for the long term.
    I constantly get dry cracking skin in the winter, likely caused from all the cement and chemicals when I was younger.
    Don’t worry about what you look like, try and think of the long term benefits. There are far to many people with missing fingers, eyes, breathing problems etc etc. Work smart!!

Bob…

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I rarely ever wear any eye or ear protection .If I do it would be when im working with metal

I ended up getting the Sync ones from Howard-Leight. They work well. I used them the other day while running our gas powered saw for an hour and it made a big difference. Then yesterday I had to core drill a 4″ hole and wore them…again a big difference. My biggest problem is remembering to put them on. I hope its not too little too late.

Andrew

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

I wear them with tools I know will hurt my ears. I like the ear muff ones. Mine have a built in radio but you can plug your Ipod or mp3 into it and use the speaker for that.

I like the muffs because I can take them off quickly and put them back on quick as well. I hated having to squish the buds and put them in. Plus lots of times they would not feel right then I would need to readjust and start over.

These are what I have…..

Ill have to get my son a set. Since it has music he may like them better. Generally he is pretty upset because I don’t allow ear buds on a job. This may work in a positive way.

I wear them with tools I know will hurt my ears. I like the ear muff ones. Mine have a built in radio but you can plug your Ipod or mp3 into it and use the speaker for that.

I like the muffs because I can take them off quickly and put them back on quick as well. I hated having to squish the buds and put them in. Plus lots of times they would not feel right then I would need to readjust and start over.

These are what I have…..

What do they run .

Always willing to learn .

Attachments:

Here is the set I got. Ebay for 21 bucks. No radio but you can plug in your ipod or phone. It limits the volume to 85 decibels for the speakers. They are fairly comfortable.

Andrew

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I never use to wear hearing protection, now I wear these so I can hear.

Sven, you are not the only one with those inside the ear speakers. I wish I had respected my hearing better. What a difference they make if you have a hearing loss.

ProTom
    Pro
    Bear Lake, MI

I never use to wear any hearing protection, even cutting steel. Now I make all my guys wear hearing protection as I have noticed a loss in hearing. I have a big bag of orange foam ones that most people dislike, and I have the big ear muffs that you wear as well.

Always learning, and some teaching along the way.

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

These are what I have…..

Those seem neat.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Sven, you are not the only one with those inside the ear speakers. I wish I had respected my hearing better. What a difference they make if you have a hearing loss.

They even help with the tennitus. When I don’t wear them everything sounds like Charlie Brown’s school teacher.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 182 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 2.955 seconds