dcsimg

Hearing Protection

This topic contains 176 replies, has 54 voices, and was last updated by  Boschmanbrian 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 177 total)
  • Author

I have never worn hearing protection. I am thinking of starting to. I was wondering who does wear it. Also does anyone have a good recommendation for some bluetooth headsets durable enough for shop work?

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

I wear hearing protection quite a bit, I would say about 85% of the time. I like the ones that clip on your hard hat or over the ear protection. Easy to slip on and off to hear people or have a conversation etc. I find the foam ones that you put in your ears tend to get dirty and are a hassle to use for me.

A Working Pro since 2004

Anonymous

I’ve had to wear them for years, I don’t like the foam twist to make smaller kind. Especially if yer fingers are dirty, Although they block the most noise. I like the triple ‘mushroom’ shaped ones. They’re comfy and easy, Ya just shove em in. And you can still have a conversation

I always try to, but I know for as little as I use power tools, most people think I am silly to (same with dust masks, goggles…)

I’d rather be safe than sorry now (or in the future).

No good ideas on a bluetooth headset, but that would make a ton of sense if I was in the shop a ton.

I like the pair I mention here http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/hearing-protection-2/#post-84945 (sensguards) – they work well for me and are decently comfortable / quick on and off and can hang around my neck when I don’t need them in.

I find myself forgetting to take the hearing protection (and dust mask) off when I am able to in between tasks… not a terrible thing, but I wish I had the habit of taking them on/off so my ears/mouth/nose could be free for a bit between cutting/etc

John S

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

Only time I wear some is when using a jackhammer or chipping hammer. And it’s usually just ear buds to listen to music. Probably not the best way to do things.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

I wear hearing protection all the time. Most times I just wear the ear plugs like Dabbs posted in situations where there will be sustained noise (lots of table saw work, jack hammering, etc) I wear noise reducing ear muffs that I can plug my iPod into.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Housewright Construction

I wear hearing protection all the time. Most times I just wear the ear plugs like Dabbs posted in situations where there will be sustained noise (lots of table saw work, jack hammering, etc) I wear noise reducing ear muffs that I can plug my iPod into.

Which ones @chadm? I have plugs and the foam type…I am looking at ones with speakers or bluetooth in them. I would also use them for running our Bobcat.

Andrew

Thatkid
    Pro

Say what??? I never wear hearing protection framing even though I probley should when we have a generator, compressor and skil saws running.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

@overanalyze I use the Ryobi’s that HD sells – they work pretty well and you don’t have to keep buying AA batteries for them.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-Tek4-Audio-Plus-Noise-Suppression-Headphones-RP4530/100671268/

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Housewright Construction

Hmmm..so they use Ryobi batteries then?

Andrew

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

They use different batteries than the cordless tools use. They use Tek4 batteries – I don’t know what else there is in this line up, I only have the headphones. When I bought the muffs HD had the a Ryobi and another pair. The other pair was $100 so I figured I would give the Ryobi a shot they have worked great, especially for $40.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Housewright Construction

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I use the three mushroom type rubber plugs pictured above. I find they are easy to out in and remove. You don’t have to shape them to put them in.. Just an annoying step with the foam type.

I use them almost all the time due to some hearing damage from a go-cart in college. Most tools produce a pitch that my ears find annoying… So ear plugs it is.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

All I can add is spend the money if it means getting a comfy set. I like over the ear for wood working and in ear for metal working. I have a set of gel pads for mine and love them. I don’t even know they are on. I went electronic as I use them for hunting as well. They have an input for aux. I would have gone Bluetooth if I could have at the time.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I have worn the foam ones for years. They do help a lot. Believe my hearing has gotten a little better sense I started using them. Noise is more annoying anyways.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I like to use hearing plugs when the wifeys in a bad mood!

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I use them whenever using loud tols. Or at least I try to. Once in a while I forget, I try to keep plugs and ear muffs handy.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I see Makita makes this set up for yard work.
    http://www.amazon.com/Makita-841001-A-Commercial-Landscaping-Earmuff/dp/B000Y42QKO

Dirty

I keep reading noise cancelation tech either active or passive is recommended. Who would think there is so much to read on hearing protection.

Andrew

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I keep reading noise cancelation tech either active or passive is recommended. Who would think there is so much to read on hearing protection.

Oh yea, there’s a lot to read! This thread could go longer that the Marksall thread?

Dirty

I use hearing protection all of the time. I have muffs, the mushroom ones Dabbs shows and also the foam ones. I prefer the foam as it blocks most noise and they are cooler. Wearing muffs, especially in the summer, is very hot and uncomfortable. I also wear safety glasses in the shop, always. Hey, I only have one set of eyes and one set of ears and would still like to see and listen to music when I am old…

Orange County, CA

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 177 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 2.555 seconds