dcsimg

Hearing Protection

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 123 total)
  • Author

Hey all,

What sort of hearing protection do you guys use? Do you not use any or just forget to use it every now and then? What do you find to be most comfortable and most likely to be used by you and your crew?

Do you prefer hearing protection that totally blocks out sound for when you are alone in the shop or just mostly blocks it out?

John S

woodman_412

I usually use ear muffs in the shop when I’m doing a lot of short noisy sessions since they are easy to take on and off. If I’m going to be making noise for an extended period of time I’ll usually use disposable ear plugs since they are a bit more comfortable for the long haul. I find it takes a bit of time to properly fit plugs in and let them expand so it’s not really practical to be taking them in and out all the time. The other consideration is temperature. A lot of times in the summer I’ll opt for the plugs just because they are cooler. If I’m not in the shop by myself I’ll usually go for the muffs since they can be easily taken off to talk to someone. I also have one of the plastic bands with the plugs on it that I keep in my tool bag. I find that works well when I’m on site since I can comfortably wear it around my neck when I don’t need it.

Dan

danpattison.com

I like the little rubber ones the sell in bags at HD or that they give away on airplanes. I find that they are the most comfortable to wear, have excellent noise canceling and they are not hot. Plus, when they get dirty I can chuck them and grab some new ones. They are also cheap. I wear them in my shop almost 100% of the time — I travel with them too and bring them to movies, loud music, bars, etc…

Orange County, CA

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

I carry disposables, the plugs connected with the plastic cord, and noise canceling ear muffs. The plugs with the plastic cord gets used the most, but if I am going to be running the table saw or router a lot I use the muffs and plug my iPod into them.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

i wear the headband style they dont go missing and they stay in place.. plus they can be cleaned.. the ones i buy are from princess auto and they sell for $2 a set. the exact same ones at home depot are $10.

i have a few sets of ear muffs as well but i hardly wear them. their too cumbersome i find but i will wear them if im working in the shop on the router table or thickness planer

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I have the rubber inserts in a string that go around the neck and just recently bought a set of Sordin Pro X electronic muff style. I bought them for my shooting sports but they have moved to my shop. I LOVE them, they don’t get hot on the ears, you can hear people talking with them or hook your iphone up to them.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

MRenes
    Pro
    Vienna, Missouri

i wear the headband style they dont go missing and they stay in place.. plus they can be cleaned.. the ones i buy are from princess auto and they sell for $2 a set. the exact same ones at home depot are $10.

i have a few sets of ear muffs as well but i hardly wear them. their too cumbersome i find but i will wear them if im working in the shop on the router table or thickness planer

Are you talking about this style?

I need to use something.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I like the ear muffs the most too. I have a set but no radio in them.

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

I’ve never wore ear protection in the 30 years I’ve been in the trade. My hearing is fine.

Anonymous
    Inactive

It was mandatory to wear them at my job and I use them at home when I’m grinding or using a noisy power tool for an extended period. I like the triple mushroom looking ones, Ya just push em in. I hate the twist kind, If your fingers are dirty then the ear plugs are dirty and so are your ears. Although I think they are the best for noise canceling. We had custom fit ones made years ago and I hated them dang things too. They were hard to get in and very itchy.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I’ve never wore ear protection in the 30 years I’ve been in the trade. My hearing is fine.

WHAT?

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Boyd, those are the same style I use if I don’t have my muffs. The key is they have to be comfortable or you just won’t put them in.

Brad T

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I keep the disposables in the trailers and shop. I also have ear muff at the shop and sometimes double up if things are very loud. There are a lot of Times I should us it and don’t.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I have some custom molded one’s that work well, and a set of Peltors that I have had for a long time.

WHAT?

While here: http://festoolownersgroup.com/other-tools-accessories/most-comfortable-hearing-protection/
    I stumbled across this pair the other day and thought it looked interesting:
    http://www.amazon.com/SensGard-SG-31-Hearing-Protection-Device/dp/B001IMHSP4
    Or the idea of the plugs with a cord attaching them…. otherwise, I will just lose or misplace them.

John S

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I had a set of the sensguards. Most uncomfortable ear protection I have ever used. Worked ok but they are clunky and the foam in the ear is too stiff.

Brad T

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

matthew, yes pretty much the actual ear bud part is slightly differnt though

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

WHAT?

I have wore them when there was someone jack hammering near me, or something really loud at the time, but that’s not that often

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

I have always worn hearing protection but there are some hereditary hearing issues in the family so I figured there was no use exacerbating the issue.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

WHAT?

I have wore them when there was someone jack hammering near me, or something really loud at the time, but that’s not that often

WHAT?

I have always worn hearing protection

Everybody tells me I can’t hear but I think they can’t talk!

WHAT?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 123 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.496 seconds