dcsimg

Headlamps

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

I like to wear a headlamp when working in dark places, like under a house. I had a Coast brand with adjustable beam that I really liked, and I lost it…so I bought an Ozark Trail from Walmart, I’m not overly impressed. So my question for you is what headlamp works for you?

I am not into dark places with what I do except for the inside of cabinets. The LED hat light that slides over the bill works fine for me if I need something on my head versus a portable lamp.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

We have petzl headlamps. I think I have about 7 or 8 of them, they’re everywhere and have never failed. Some are 15 years old or better. I think my favorite are the ones with the diffuser, it’s a little slide that has a prismatic lens to diffuse the light. It’s nicer for close up work (like in a cabinet or under a truck. And you can slide it out of the way when not needed.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

I have had this coast headlamp on my wish list for a while, but I haven’t had any projects come up where I “needed” it. Though it is definitely on my short list
    http://www.amazon.com/Coast-HL7-Focusing-Lumen-Headlamp/dp/B005NXPW5W/

I am curious to hear what others have used and like

John S

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I am not into dark places with what I do except for the inside of cabinets. The LED hat light that slides over the bill works fine for me if I need something on my head versus a portable lamp.

I have had a couple of this type and they gave decent light but I had issues with the clips to the hat breaking. I went to one with a headband and haven’t had much for issues with that. I don’t remember what kind it was.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

the battery packs on the back suck IMO.

Here’s the style we have. The red filter/led actually works to prevent night blindness.

http://www.amazon.com/Petzl-Tikka-Improved-Output-Headlamp/dp/B009065J1K/ref=sr_1_3?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1398176165&sr=1-3&keywords=petzl

Brad T

I have had a couple of this type and they gave decent light but I had issues with the clips to the hat breaking.

Never had that happen. I just misplace them and have to go hunting to find them. Actually I got them for hunting in the first place.

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

I have had this coast headlamp on my wish list for a while, but I haven’t had any projects come up where I “needed” it. Though it is definitely on my short list

John, that is the one I had and lost…I’m hoping it shows up because it’s a good one!

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I’m going to have to stick with Brad on this one. The Petzl lights are great, and you can get some that are pretty affordable.

The Dude’s got it right. Go to REI or EMS and check out the headlamps there. I have a black diamond one and they are fantastic. I’m guessing anything over 100 lumens will be plenty. They will run a few days on 3 aaa batteries. Super bright, and you can send emergency signals to boot!

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I use a Primos headlamp that I got at bass pro. Paid a little more than Amazon has them for. Runs on 2 AA batteries. 120 lumens on high.
    http://www.amazon.com/Primos-Top-Gun-Led-Headlamp/dp/B002QG58NU

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

I carry one in my truck with me the cheap energizer ones from walmart. are pretty good light and not to expensive to replace.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

i keep one in my trim toolbag for times when i have to case the inside of a closet door and light is very limited

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

SamM
    Pro

I got a three pack of Costco that work really well. Two brightness settings, plus emergency flash. I try to keep one with me at all times….though usually I end up storing them all at home when I need them 🙁

kzcarp
    Pro

I know that it usually pays to buy the better or the best but I see a split between the more expensive and the cheap here on these comments.

We have petzl headlamps. I think I have about 7 or 8 of them, they’re everywhere and have never failed. Some are 15 years old or better.

I’m guessing that you don’t lose them you just like having an ample supply?

kevin

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I’m guessing that you don’t lose them you just like having an ample supply?

yup, there’s two of us so that means there are a pair in the console of both trucks (4) a set in the house (2) a set in my go bag (2) and I have one in the garage. (1)

cranky, that makes 9!

Never lost one yet or had any issues with any of them, all petzl. I also carry a fenix flashlight on my belt.

Brad T

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I wear a headlamp when detailing cars. It really shows the paint defects and makes it easy to polish to perfection.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

I got a three pack of Costco that work really well. Two brightness settings, plus emergency flash. I try to keep one with me at all times…

I picked those up too. For $9 you can’t go wrong. They worked better than expected. Sure nice to not have to hold a flashlight and root threw the back of the truck.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I’ve been looking at the Costco one’s to throw in the truck, just haven’t pulled the trigger. Good to know they work well.

hdpro
    Pro
    Upstate, NY

John, that is the one I had and lost…I’m hoping it shows up because it’s a good one!

Dont worry. It won’t. At least not until after you’ve bought the new one! 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.468 seconds