dcsimg

Hard water build up

This topic contains 17 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  MrFid 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

I was wondering how to get rid of hard water build up? My kitchen faucet recently has stopped moving side to side because of the hard water build up and I was wondering how to get rid of it?

Thanks for all your guys help with this.

Mark

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I’d just get a new faucet. There is probably a ton of corrosion under the build up. By the time you do all the work getting the buildup off you could of had a new faucet installed.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I agree with Bill, if it’s gotten to that point there has got to be some corrosion under it.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Sounds like you need a new faucet. Maybe a water softener would help from getting the same problem? CLR works pretty good for cleaning.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Take it off/apart, Soak it in vinegar. Relube necessary components and change gaskets and/or o-rings. Reinstall.

Some faucets have lifetime warranties. Call up the manufacturer and ask for whether yours is covered and ask for any parts you may need including the worn rubber components. I have a Koehler I do this with every few years in my kitchen replacing the diverter and the cartridge gizmo. Or is it a Delta…can’t remember.lol! They even supply the white lithium grease.

Kevin.

Vinegar is good for calcium build up. We use it often as we have hard water too. You can try CLR or similar products. You can also try toilet bowl cleaner if you have it at hand. Ours built up so bad it ruined the cartridge. Good thing it was a Moen and the replacement was free.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

If it’s that bad I’d also suggest looking into a softener

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

White vinegar works better than regular brown vinegar or apple cider vinegar. C-L- R works probably even better

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

you could go with vinegar but heck at this point its probably a good time to update your faucet. go with the one I have, its touch so all you do is touch to turn on and touch to turn off.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

Straight white vinegar works well for all but the toughest.

CLR is pretty good, but if I’m going to use a chemical, I go with a commercial lime scale remover, sold in restaurant supply houses. That is also what I use to maintain tankless water heaters.

If the scale is this bad, as others have mentioned, a water softening system is a good idea. Remember that lime scale builds up far faster in hot water than cold, so if a kitchen faucet is that bad, your water heater is probably running very inefficiently.

There are two basic types of water softening; The salt kind, and a filter type. For health reasons, a lot of people don’t want to use a salt system. The filters for the filter systems are made from epoxy, so I’m sure there is a health issue with them as well, but probably less than the salt systems.

I’ve installed a few of the filter systems, including some in commercial applications, and they work fantastically. I go in and check the water a couple times a year, and when the hardness gets too high, I replace the filters.

I have one system supplying a commercial espresso machine, and to my knowledge, in the 8 or 9 years since I installed the machine, and the filter system, they have not had to de-lime the machine once.

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

I have used white vinegar with good result when it’s just clogged at the jets on a shower head. If the whole faucet has that much though, it’s probably less work to put in a new faucet than disassembling and reassembling the old one; you’ll have to do the same steps as replacement plus a lot more.

I was kind of thinking a new faucet but I wanted to see if there is a quick fix for something like that.

Thanks for the help guys

Mark

DIYPro
    Pro

I have used warm white vinegar to dissolve the hard water deposits.
    What I also recommend is that you might benefit from a good water filtration system. Most city water quality is not very good. There are dirt, calcium, chemicals, and pharmaceuticals in the incoming water to our homes, bad for our health and for the life of our appliances. I end up installing whole house filter and I am very happy with the results. I recommend Aqusana Brand filters. They are multi stage filtration system and simple to install. My city uses Chloramine, Chlorine and Ammonia mixture to clean the water. Aquasana technical support is very good, they made the recommendation on size and the type of the system that will be best for my water type.

Attachments:

I also have to get some hard water stains off of a granite counter top??

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Good luck there as granite is porous and the stains may have also sunk in.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

i’ve used white vinegar as well to great results. However it’ll just come back again so you’ll have to find away around it or just keep cleaning it.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

i’ve used white vinegar as well to great results. However it’ll just come back again so you’ll have to find away around it or just keep cleaning it.

@r-ice,
    Adding a water softener is the only way to really slow down the build up, OR just keep cleaning it.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

CLR should work for that as long as it’s not too set in to the granite.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.594 seconds