dcsimg

Harbor Freight Welder

Viewing 17 posts - 101 through 117 (of 117 total)
  • Author
    GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

sure wish the front (turning) wheels were larger. Small as they are it can be a chore trying to move the welder outside to use it.

I am sure they could be a plan. Are thinking about changing them out for bigger wheel?

Definitely thinking about it, just haven’t had time to look things over yet due to working on the boat motor this weekend.

Oh I know feeling there is always something too do.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Had to run out to the shop last night for a bit so looked at the cart real quick.

Should be easy to set up with larger wheels. Just find larger casters for the ‘rotating wheels’, and an appropriately larger set of wheels for the back side.

Maybe I’ll get to it this weekend.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

MTRoads
    Pro

Found a set of casters for a quick test. Immediate decision is that the cart becomes unstable with the larger casters/wheels. Need to add a wider base to mount things to so it will be much more stable.

Which of course means more welding practice making the new base, that works out nicely. 🙂

Stan

MTRoads
    Pro

Finally got around to picking up an argon tank today – with the height of that, expanding the footprint of the cart is a no brainer. Way too top-heavy with the tank on there also.

Stan

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Finally got around to picking up an argon tank today

Sounds like you are going all with the tank and everything. Keep that tank chained to the cart.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

MTRoads
    Pro

Finally got around to picking up an argon tank today

Sounds like you are going all with the tank and everything. Keep that tank chained to the cart.

For sure on the chaining the tank to the cart, have a feeling I will be adding a more secure setup than just the chain though. (I pretty much always ‘over-do’ things.)

Stan

MTRoads
    Pro

Well, lesson learned….

Had time yesterday to get the tank set up on the cart, used some 2×4 pieces with appropriate size concaves to hold the tank where I wanted it.
    (The HF cart with the MigMax 215 on top holds the tank against the back of the welder, and blocks the exhaust fan if left in the ‘center’ of the tank tray.
    Changed polarity, loaded new wire, looked up the C25 or C100 setting and then based on what I found – thought I better check on the contents of the tank I purchased. Turns out when I walked in and stated I needed a ‘tank of Argon for MIG welding’, the guy must have assumed I wanted 100% argon.
    So after some research on using 100% argon, looks like I will be returning the tank to get a 75/25 mix.

Drat, was hoping to do some more practice welding today. 🙁

Stan

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Well, lesson learned….

Had time yesterday to get the tank set up on the cart, used some 2×4 pieces with appropriate size concaves to hold the tank where I wanted it.
    (The HF cart with the MigMax 215 on top holds the tank against the back of the welder, and blocks the exhaust fan if left in the ‘center’ of the tank tray.
    Changed polarity, loaded new wire, looked up the C25 or C100 setting and then based on what I found – thought I better check on the contents of the tank I purchased. Turns out when I walked in and stated I needed a ‘tank of Argon for MIG welding’, the guy must have assumed I wanted 100% argon.
    So after some research on using 100% argon, looks like I will be returning the tank to get a 75/25 mix.

Drat, was hoping to do some more practice welding today. 🙁

Straight argon is not the right choice for welding mild steel.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Finally got around to picking up an argon tank today – with the height of that, expanding the footprint of the cart is a no brainer. Way too top-heavy with the tank on there also.

Picking up that argon tank like in buying or renting?

MTRoads
    Pro

Picking up that argon tank like in buying or renting?

No place in town that rents tanks, so it was a purchase.

Stan

MTRoads
    Pro

Got the tank set up on the welder and ran some test welds, not happy at all with the results so far. Need to do some studying on why the weld built up so tall with penetration that was less than ideal.
    Tried changing the settings, but nothing seemed to really change other than either being way too hot or way too cold, no happy medium.

Stan

MTRoads
    Pro

Did some more welding today, things went better. Think the last session was an issue with the metal I was using – old bed frame.
    More things to try tomorrow. 🙂

Stan

MTRoads
    Pro

Some more welding done with the HF welder, overall I’d say I am impressed with it (after using the nephews Miller for comparison).
    Granted I am a complete noob to welding, but I think it is going to do everything I need.
    Next step is setting up an area in the shop for welding through the winter months.

Stan

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Some more welding done with the HF welder, overall I’d say I am impressed with it (after using the nephews Miller for comparison).
    Granted I am a complete noob to welding, but I think it is going to do everything I need.
    Next step is setting up an area in the shop for welding through the winter months.

Sounds like you are well on the way to mastering your new toy. Looking forward to seeing some projects.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Nice to hear that HF welder is coming through. By in large it gets good reviews.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Good to hear you happy with your welder. Sounds like good welder to have.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

MTRoads
    Pro

Good to hear you happy with your welder. Sounds like good welder to have.

I am definitely enjoying it. Just wish I had more experience so I could do a decent review – but I’ll leave that up to others and just say “I like it”. 🙂

Stan

Viewing 17 posts - 101 through 117 (of 117 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.569 seconds