dcsimg

Harbor Freight Welder

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 118 total)
  • Author
    smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

So, I’m thinking the welds are holding up nicely – can’t say much about the appearance before grinding/sanding though.

The more you do, the better looking they will get, but you know that already.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

So I picked up a welder from HF finally. Got the Vulcan 215A. Have done a few welds with it and liking what I see so far.

Congrats!! That looks like a nice welder!

Thanks! I’m enjoying it so far, learning as I go. 🙂

I am sure you are. I would love to have one. I have nowhere keep one right now. If I need any welding done my uncle just lives down the street. He doesn’t charge me much or anything at all. Mine you he isn’t going to be around for ever either.

One of the test welds I did with the Vulcan.

To ‘splain what it is… I found an old home-made hunting tree-stand that looked like I could use for practice.

In this case, H had cut up some of the angle iron used on the frame into pieces about 2-1/2″ long. I welded one to the tree-stand base, then butt welded another piece of the angle to the first (on both top and bottom), creating the kinda/sorta upside-down “U”.

I then ground/sanded the top down to a flat surface finish. Then took the sledgehammer to it to see what would happen.

In this case, the butt weld held up just fine. Only the first piece welded onto the frame bent.

So, I’m thinking the welds are holding up nicely – can’t say much about the appearance before grinding/sanding though. 🙂

Looks good!

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Today was practice welding 10 penny finish nails to that same frame. Think it is time to consider purchasing a gas bottle and some .025 wire.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Today was practice welding 10 penny finish nails to that same frame. Think it is time to consider purchasing a gas bottle and some .025 wire.

I need a refill myself. If you plan to mig outside, make sure it’s a calm day. Any breeze will blow the gas away from your weld… then you’ll see what a really ugly weld looks like LOL

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Today was practice welding 10 penny finish nails to that same frame

You have to keep at it. Glad the welder is working out. Remember you can always grind the weld and then redo slightly to make it look better.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

MTRoads
    Pro

I need a refill myself. If you plan to mig outside, make sure it’s a calm day. Any breeze will blow the gas away from your weld… then you’ll see what a really ugly weld looks like LOL

Yep, understand that. The nephew had that issue when I went to pick up his welder to borrow. He had been trying to weld a crack in the bucket of his front-end loader and there was too much wind.
    Your right – rather ugly. 🙁

Stan

MTRoads
    Pro

Today was practice welding 10 penny finish nails to that same frame

You have to keep at it. Glad the welder is working out. Remember you can always grind the weld and then redo slightly to make it look better.

@theamcguy
    -that was sort of what I was doing today, another butt weld of two pieces of angle. I then hit it with the flap-disk sander to see if I had good coverage on the joint.

Looks like I might need to slow down just a bit and use a better ‘motion’ on that weld.

Stan

MTRoads
    Pro

Stopped by a local hardware store that is going out of business and picked up some metal stock for the first welding project. All metal stock was 30% off….. but wow – sure more expensive than wood stock…..

Stan

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Stopped by a local hardware store that is going out of business and picked up some metal stock for the first welding project. All metal stock was 30% off….. but wow – sure more expensive than wood stock…..

Looks like you got a good deal at 30% off. To bad the hardware store is going out of business.

Greg

MTRoads
    Pro

The store where I bought the metal stock from did not have tube steel in the size I figured I needed – so I bought a length of angle iron and made my own tube.

Could have gone to another store to get the tube, but figured this would give me more practice time with the welder.

After weld, then after cleanup.

Stan

Attachments:
    theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

so I bought a length of angle iron and made my own tube.

Turned out pretty nice and good practice too.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

MTRoads
    Pro

Got the kindling splitter welded together, the welding part went ok – the implementation – not so much. The wood starts to split just fine, but the tube section that I made out of the 2 pieces of angle iron is a bit wide. Which stops the firewood from going any further than the splitting blade. 🙁 (Oops)

Think I’ll just weld a couple pieces between the tube and the blade so it is like an upside down splitting maul.

Good thing is that I hammered on things pretty hard just to see what might break…. nothing did, all the welds held up just fine. Welds have not been cleaned up yet, still some slag, but I wanted to try it out.

Stan

Attachments:
    MTRoads
    Pro

Added another HF item to the welding setup. Picked up the $40 welding cart today.
    They could have made it just a tad bit larger, but it will work fine for now.
    Do want to drill a few holes in the top shelf so I can mount the welder to the shelf – seems to me it would be a bit sturdier and easier to grab the handles on the welder to move the cart around.

Stan

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Picked up the $40 welding cart today.

I have that cart as well and it is a good deal. They also have a portable welding table, good for the money a bit heavy but decent.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

I have that cart as well and it is a good deal. They also have a portable welding table, good for the money a bit heavy but decent.

Same here, I also have the same cart.

MTRoads
    Pro

Yeah, I have a feeling the welding table may end up in my shop soon. I have been working off a couple plastic sawhorses with a small sheet of OSB on top of it.

Stan

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Sounds like a good deal and will help with moving the welder around.

Greg

MTRoads
    Pro

Sounds like a good deal and will help with moving the welder around.

Pretty decent for the price, sure wish the front (turning) wheels were larger. Small as they are it can be a chore trying to move the welder outside to use it.

Stan

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

sure wish the front (turning) wheels were larger. Small as they are it can be a chore trying to move the welder outside to use it.

I am sure they could be a plan. Are thinking about changing them out for bigger wheel?

Greg

MTRoads
    Pro

sure wish the front (turning) wheels were larger. Small as they are it can be a chore trying to move the welder outside to use it.

I am sure they could be a plan. Are thinking about changing them out for bigger wheel?

Definitely thinking about it, just haven’t had time to look things over yet due to working on the boat motor this weekend.

Stan

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 118 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.424 seconds