dcsimg

Harbor Freight Welder

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 117 total)
  • Author
    theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

but the welding was going very poorly until I figured out and fixed the ground clamp situation.

You need a good ground for a strong weld. Best to make sure the connection point is clean.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

The instruction I had on welding said that, ideally, the weld on the back side should look almost like the front side without the bead, ensuring that you have sufficient heat and penetration. I am still not a good welder, but I can occasionally stick 2 pieces of steel together.

Will

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

The instruction I had on welding said that, ideally, the weld on the back side should look almost like the front side without the bead,

Right now in autobody work they are recommending that every time you weld on a car you do a test weld, check the weld, then keep the sample as a record to show you had good penetration.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

The welder went back to the nephew today, so no more welding until I get my own welder. Looking for a used one locally, but have a feeling the HF one will end up in my shop before too long.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

but have a feeling the HF one will end up in my shop before too long.

Really for a beginner the HF is fine. It sticks metal together fine and unless you need a welder to make certified welds the HF one will do.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

MTRoads
    Pro

Definitely no certified stuff, just hobby/home shop type stuff that it would be easier to weld than fab up something to bolt things together.

Stan

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Definitely no certified stuff, just hobby/home shop type stuff that it would be easier to weld than fab up something to bolt things together.

Yeah for that the HF one is fine. It is great for sticking stuff together.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

MTRoads
    Pro

Good thing is, at this point I think I am pretty well stocked up for grinders, grinding wheels, flap-disks, cut-off disks, etc.
    Not sure about the quality as I have never bought flap-disks before, but at $0.99 each I figured they were a pretty good deal.

Stan

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

have a feeling the HF one will end up in my shop before too long.

You just missed the 25% off coupon

MTRoads
    Pro

have a feeling the HF one will end up in my shop before too long.

Yeah, they will have more of those I’m sure. 🙂

Stan

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

HF has coupons all the time. Do a search for HF coupons lots of sites post them so you can print and use.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

MTRoads
    Pro

Coupons at HF are a regular thing for me. I load up the phone image gallery with coupons from various sources. Then at the checkout I start flipping through the coupons while the cashier scans them and we watch the total invoice cost keep withering away. 🙂

I have been stocking up on metal working expendables, one thing I have been looking for and have not found yet is a good storage means for deep-well impact sockets. I bought the SAE and Metric sets and really would like to stay away from the ‘oh just throw them all in this box’ situation. I know there is something out there – I just haven’t found it yet.

Stan

MTRoads
    Pro

So I picked up a welder from HF finally. Got the Vulcan 215A. Have done a few welds with it and liking what I see so far.

Stan

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

So I picked up a welder from HF finally. Got the Vulcan 215A. Have done a few welds with it and liking what I see so far.

Good choice from what I hear of that model. Looking forward to seeing some projects. What do you have in mind to begin?

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Congrats!! That looks like a nice welder!

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

MTRoads
    Pro

Good choice from what I hear of that model. Looking forward to seeing some projects. What do you have in mind to begin?

To begin with…. more practice. After that I think I am going to make a metal gate for the deck to replace the wooden one that has been there for about 18 years. Later this summer I plan on welding some brackets on the second boat trailer in order to make a platform for the river boat to slide up on.

Stan

MTRoads
    Pro

Congrats!! That looks like a nice welder!

Thanks! I’m enjoying it so far, learning as I go. 🙂

Stan

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Congrats on that new welder, enjoy.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

To begin with…. more practice. After that I think I am going to make a metal gate for the deck to replace the wooden one that has been there for about 18 years. Later this summer I plan on welding some brackets on the second boat trailer in order to make a platform for the river boat to slide up on.

Looks good, and for sure practice is key!

Will

MTRoads
    Pro

One of the test welds I did with the Vulcan.

To ‘splain what it is… I found an old home-made hunting tree-stand that looked like I could use for practice.

In this case, H had cut up some of the angle iron used on the frame into pieces about 2-1/2″ long. I welded one to the tree-stand base, then butt welded another piece of the angle to the first (on both top and bottom), creating the kinda/sorta upside-down “U”.

I then ground/sanded the top down to a flat surface finish. Then took the sledgehammer to it to see what would happen.

In this case, the butt weld held up just fine. Only the first piece welded onto the frame bent.

So, I’m thinking the welds are holding up nicely – can’t say much about the appearance before grinding/sanding though. 🙂

Stan

Attachments:
Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 117 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.597 seconds