dcsimg

Harbor Freight Welder

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 117 total)
  • Author
    MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Finally got the welder setup running, shop wiring was only a 20Amp outlet so I ended up making an adapter to hook the welder up to my 3500w generator.

Tried 3 welds just to see what would happen. The welder has heat settings of 1 to 7. Setting 1 on some tubing I found from an old tree-stand was way too cold.

Went to setting 2 and it did quite a bit better – but still rather cold. Tried 3 and the generator said “yeah – right”.

So, I am going to practice some more tomorrow on some thinner metal and see how things go. 3 welds so far and I am pretty sure I am already hooked. 🙂

This was the second weld.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

Attachments:
    MTRoads
    Pro

This was with the welder set at 3 – and I don’t think the generator would have kept running for any longer of a weld than that.

Think it looks better than the weld using setting #2.
    I was using .030 flux core wire.

Next thing is to get a horizontal bandsaw to cut apart some of the welds later to see how good the penetration is.

Stan

Attachments:
    theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Finally got the welder setup running, shop wiring was only a 20Amp outlet so I ended up making an adapter to hook the welder up to my 3500w generator.

Look like some nice welds. Congrats on the new welder.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

rerun_1965
    Pro
    holladay, TN

This was with the welder set at 3 – and I don’t think the generator would have kept running for any longer of a weld than that.

Think it looks better than the weld using setting #2.
    I was using .030 flux core wire.

Next thing is to get a horizontal bandsaw to cut apart some of the welds later to see how good the penetration is.

looks good and solid to me

MTRoads
    Pro

Did a couple more practice welds today. I’m learning that being in a comfortable position can make a big difference. I was not real comfortable on this weld and was moving the tip around quite due to not having good position.

Really appreciate anyone telling me what looks wrong with the weld (other than the inconsistent speed). Was hoping the nephew could come by for a couple hours to coach me on the welds, but he and his family a on a horse pack trip for the weekend.

Stan

MTRoads
    Pro

Look like some nice welds. Congrats on the new welder.

It is a loaner from the nephew, but I’ll have my own in the shop before long. 🙂

Stan

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Did a couple more practice welds today. I’m learning that being in a comfortable position can make a big difference. I was not real comfortable on this weld and was moving the tip around quite due to not having good position.

Really appreciate anyone telling me what looks wrong with the weld (other than the inconsistent speed).

Looks just a little on the cold side. How much stick out do you have ?Too much stick out will cause a cold weld also too much angle on the gun, that results in more stick out too. What sound does the weld make ? Should be a steady sizzle

MTRoads
    Pro

@Sprokitz I was trying to keep the stickout to a minimum, but I think the angle may have been a bit much now that you mention it.

I did try setting the welder as per the chart inside the door to the wire spool – it recommended heat at 3 and wire feed speed of 55. That turned out way to fast of wire feed.

I’ll have to pay more attention to the sound, I know I’m supposed to stop if I hear that pop-pop-pop sound – other than that I think the generator kind of drowned out most of the sound.

Got a bit breezy in the yard so I’ll try some more welds tomorrow.

Any more settings for the welder or other tips are greatly appreciated.

Stan

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

The welds don’t look bad you need to check for penetration on the back side if you can, then try to see how hard it is to break the weld to really see how it bonded.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Really appreciate anyone telling me what looks wrong with the weld (other than the inconsistent speed). Was hoping the nephew could come by for a couple hours to coach me on the welds, but he and his family a on a horse pack trip for the weekend.

You’re definitely on the right track. Those are a whole lot better than my last effort. My BIL still laughs when we talk about welding.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

MTRoads
    Pro

The welds don’t look bad you need to check for penetration on the back side if you can, then try to see how hard it is to break the weld to really see how it bonded.

Will grab a picture of the back side, and then we’ll break out the big hammer and see what the results are. 🙂

Stan

MTRoads
    Pro

You’re definitely on the right track. Those are a whole lot better than my last effort. My BIL still laughs when we talk about welding.

Thanks. 🙂
    I have a feeling if my nephew saw the welds he would get a kick out them. He is a welder for BNSF railroad.

Stan

Like you mentioned it come down to your hand position to get consistent welds to penetrate . A lot of welding come just to practice and knowing your material . Beads look good thumbs up .

Always willing to learn .

MTRoads
    Pro

@theamcguy
    – finally got a decent day to go out and take some whacks at that weld with the 2lb maul. Picture below shows the piece I welded on now bent over at about a 45 degree angle. Doesn’t appear to me that anything started to break apart.

Stan

Attachments:
    theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doesn’t appear to me that anything started to break apart.

Me either looks like a good weld. A bad weld usually comes apart after a few whacks with no bending.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

MTRoads
    Pro

This is the back side of the weld after straightening it back up to the 90 degree original position, the two pieces separated a bit, but still no visible cracks that I can see on the weld itself. I don’t have the means right now to cut the weld/metal apart to determine the depth of the weld, but looking at the ends it appears to have gone about half-way through the 90 degree piece.

I can just see a small amount of heat markings on the back side, with 3/16″ thick stock – should there be more noticeable heat marks on the back side of the weld?

Stan

Attachments:
    theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

should there be more noticeable heat marks on the back side of the weld?

Yes, 3/16″ is probably at the limit of the setting. If you can turn up the welder, if you can’t then you found the limit of what the welder can safely do.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

MTRoads
    Pro

should there be more noticeable heat marks on the back side of the weld?

Yes, 3/16″ is probably at the limit of the setting. If you can turn up the welder, if you can’t then you found the limit of what the welder can safely do.

Yeah, any higher settings and the generator starts complaining (loudly). I’m hoping to have a larger generator to use in another week or two.

Stan

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Yeah, any higher settings and the generator starts complaining

Looks like a new generator is in your future then.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

MTRoads
    Pro

Had the opportunity to observe what happens with a poor ground. Took me a while to figure out what was causing the problem, but the welding was going very poorly until I figured out and fixed the ground clamp situation.

Stan

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 117 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.498 seconds