dcsimg

Harbor Freight Welder

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 117 total)
  • Author

Lacking in a second 240V line where a welder could be plugged in here also. Figured the 120/240 units could just be used on thinner stock using the 120V setting to get started learning.

I see they state on most that using an extension cord is not recommended. Unfortunately, my 240V line is about 16′ from the door to the shop – so that’s not going to work out to start with.

If you get a good sized wire in an extension I can’t see a problem. I don’t think the electrons can tell the difference in 10ga extension cord wire and 10ga wire that runs in the wall.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I agree with Jim. A heavy gauge cord will work fine. My mig runs on 110 and will weld up to 1/4″ material.

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Ok, I already have a heavy duty 50 Amp extension cord for the 5th-wheel camper. Can give that a try once I am ready to move up to thicker materials.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

I’ve run my 110v Lincoln mig off a 12ga ext. cord many times.

MTRoads
    Pro

Sounds good @Sprokitz – lot of good info coming in here.

Stan

JerrySats
    Pro
    Swedesboro, New Jersey

Stan
    Having done stick / mig and tig , my personal opinion is mig is the easiest to to learn on and use . Tig has a longer learning curve but you can do some fine work with it . Those new Vulcun welders from HF look real nice , if I were in the market for a welder I would look seriously at one.

I have a big Miller Arc/Tig welder at the shop and use the stick more, maybe one day I’ll get a mig but for now I’m good .

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Don’t tell anybody but I have an HF welder, works great for what it was designed for. Of course I bought it a few years ago on sale for $99.

https://www.harborfreight.com/80-amp-inverter-stick-welder-61749.html

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

rerun_1965
    Pro
    holladay, TN

ive got the HF wire wielder and for just around the house it works very well for me

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

ive got the HF wire wielder

I picked one up at a yardsale, NIB. I have a question for you. Is your wire “hot” as soon as you turn the welder on ? ..Or does it get “hot” and feed after you pull the trigger? @rerun_1965

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

ive got the HF wire wielder and for just around the house it works very well for me

Another happy HF welder customer. They work well and are great machines for learning on.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

rerun_1965
    Pro
    holladay, TN

after I pull the trigger

MTRoads
    Pro

…. now to wait for the HF store to finally open here. Keep watching the construction when I go by, hopefully it won’t be much longer – I have projects to work on. 🙂

Stan

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

after I pull the trigger

That’s how it should be. This one I got at a YS is screwed up and it’s not likely I can exchange it at a store.

rerun_1965
    Pro
    holladay, TN

I like HF theres a lot of good things there but theres a lot of garbage just depends on what your buying

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I like HF theres a lot of good things there but theres a lot of garbage just depends on what your buying

So true lots of info on the net on what tools are good and which are junk.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

rerun_1965
    Pro
    holladay, TN

you can go and look at the tool and see if there worth anything or not

MTRoads
    Pro

Went to a family event this past Saturday – on Sunday I realized I had forgotten that one of my nephews is a professional welder for the railroad.
    So, after a phone call to get some recommendations – I will shortly have a Miller 210 coming to visit me for some learning sessions with the nephew and then some time for me to practice.
    Once I have done some learning, I’ll hopefully be able to make a more informed decision on the welder to purchase.

Stan

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Went to a family event this past Saturday – on Sunday I realized I had forgotten that one of my nephews is a professional welder for the railroad.
    So, after a phone call to get some recommendations – I will shortly have a Miller 210 coming to visit me for some learning sessions with the nephew and then some time for me to practice.
    Once I have done some learning, I’ll hopefully be able to make a more informed decision on the welder to purchase.

That sounds like an excellent plan. Once you know what you need and what you like a decision is so much easier.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Definitely sounds like a plan, I bought Hobart 210 MVP, and I really like it, my skills are getting up there, but I have used it both on 110 and 220, with gas and flux cored, I did not successfully do thin aluminum, but I was able to do some small amounts of stainless steel. Good Luck.

Will

MTRoads
    Pro

I’m sure I will be back here asking for more instructional assistance. 🙂 But time will tell.

Stan

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 117 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.666 seconds