dcsimg

Harbor Freight Sounds Like I'm Missing something?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 117 total)
  • Author
    DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Harbor Freight Sounds Like I’m Missing something?
    These stores are not here nor did I ever see them In south Fla. pre 1986 , so where are they? They seem like a fun place to spend money? Seems like great deals on things that really don’t matter, like the shipping throws ect.

I wanna go there!

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Our Princess auto is very similar. It’s a good store for junk. But if they have a tool that you need to use once, it rocks.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

They have a store about 40 minutes from my place. The majority of their stuff is really poor quality – ok if you are looking for a one time use. Some things are ok – I have a couple crow bars, moving blankets, etc from them that aren’t bad.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

I bought a belt sander there. I needed it now and cheap and they were two blocks away. Not the best tool I have bought but it is still going strong and has more than paid for itself.

Take home message if you are looking for a daily use tool of high quality don’t go to Harbor freight. If you need a tool for a one time use or for occasional use and don’t want to tie up a lot of cash Harbor Freight is the place to go.

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

I have one about 15 minutes from here. I use it all the time for hard to find small stuff that don’t get used too often.

The last moving blanket I bought from them I pulled lightly and it ripped. Tools are investments for me and their quality is not investment grade.

Moze
    Dallas, TX

I have one about ten minutes from my house. Their good for what you guys already said – tools or stuff you only need occasionally. When I was racing my old truck, I needed a 30″ extension to reach the trans bolts. It worked fine and was about a third of the price as in other stores. I’ve got moving blankets, bottle jacks, tape, impact sockets, and a mess of other stuff there. I basically only but stuff there that I consider disposable.

Resident Sign Guy

MRenes
    Pro
    Vienna, Missouri

Honestly, like most have said it is hit and miss. You have to really look at their website for reviews.

Screw drivers, ratchets, level, Osculating tool are all pretty good. I have a SDS Hammer drill and it is a beast. I like it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I always feel a little embarrassed when I go to one, I’m afraid one of my mechanic buddies might see me buying something LOL. It’s kinda like riding a Moped, They’re kinda fun but you wouldn’t want your friends to see ya on one. 🙂

I’ve had good and bad tools from them but I know it’s a gamble when I buy something, And they really do have an easy return policy that if it’s just too weenie of a tool you can take it back. Examples; I bought a 4 1/2″ angle grinder 14 years ago hoping it would get me through a single job I was working on, I used it again just a week ago and it’s still going strong. I can’t kill it and it’s got a million miles on it. Not bad for $14. It even came with an extra set of brushes which is scary but I haven’t had to replace them yet either.

Then I bought a recip saw, Used it once on wood and it did ok, Used it again a second time about a year later on metal and it stripped it’s gears LOL.

I recently bought an overhead hoist from them and it’s doing pretty good for what it is, I can’t complain for the price.

I’ve bought a lot of the little trinket stuff too and most of it’s pretty crappy but it might get ya by. Ya just have to look at an item very close and decide if it’s good enough for your needs LOL.

Just like in the video, I’ve picked up stuff I may never use but I’ll have it just in case. A while back the electrical wire fish tape was on sale for $8 so I bought one. It appears like it’ll be fine if I ever need it 🙂

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I have been buying HF stuff since the 80s via mail order. Then a few years ago we got a store in town. They are a great way to stretch the tool budget if you realize that the tool you buy is cheap. By that I mean great for occasional use. I have a bunch of tools from them I use once every year or so. They work great. There are lots of Harbor Freight pass or fail threads on the net or whole sites dedicated to HF tool reviews. The best one is on garagejournal.com Search by part number.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I’m with everyone else here. It’s a gamble, but as long as you accept that, you are good. I’ve had things that last good and work well, and some things that have broken on teh first try. The miter saw that I am using works really well, but I managed to break the laser on it when a piece of wood kicked up. Got a hold of HF to get a replacement, and they won’t send me the part. They said that I have to find a tool repair shop to get the replacement piece.

There are lots of Harbor Freight pass or fail threads on the net or whole sites dedicated to HF tool reviews. The best one is on garagejournal.com Search by part number.

This is super helpful to know. I know the HF site has some reviews, but this is way more helpful.

Can’t add much to what has been said. HF is great for a cheap tool you may only need to use once or twice, and if it continues to work long after that – it is all icing on the cake.

FYI to all, our main other HF topic:
    http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/harbor-freight-finds/

John S

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/harbor-freight-finds/%5B/quote%5DI did a search and nothing came up?

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

here we have princess auto which is basically the exact same thing. i was there yesterday, bought a new dry line, 2 sets of earplug band style, drill bits and a empire speed square. i was going to buy a new 3/8 air hose which was the arctic rubber hoses.. 50ft for 25 at the lumberyard that would cost 60

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I often buy my air line and connections at PA when they go on sale. I always check their surplus area as well. Sometimes you can find some brand name items on for great deals.

Brad T

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Harbor Freight only has their brand items. You can’t find any big names there

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

That’s interesting. Princess Auto does Ingersol Rand, Makita, Milton, lioncoln welders and I am sure lots more.

Brad T

/quoteI did a search and nothing came up?

What do you mean? if you simply click on the link on my post it will take you to the topic…?
    I know sometimes it gets messy when you quote it and the added command from quoting sometimes messes it up…

John S

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

What do you mean? if you simply click on the link on my post it will take you to the topic…?

I’m pretty sure that he means that he looked for a topic before on HF before he started this one.

Dirty, did you see the search help thread?

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Harbor Freight has its place but really its just junk that you will end up replacing constantly. I think your lucky you don’t have one close by. I personally live about 5 minutes from one and its sucked me in more than once.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 117 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.886 seconds