dcsimg

Hand tool storage

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I’m still using some Rubbermaid toolboxes for some tasks; I have one for electrical work, another for plumbing and a third for tile and masonry work. Sometimes they aren’t large enough but they help keep the small tools where I can find them easily.

I have just started to work on a pair of hand tool cabinets for my workshop but that is going to be a whole different topic. Plans are still rolling around in my head but some ideas are solidifying.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Here is my new set up. It’s nice I can click them together and take them all together. The open tote has kaizen on one side and I was going to make 1/4″ dividers on the other side that the hammers and stuff are on

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

I also use a husky tote like what rons uses. However I am thinking of making the switch to what will uses and that is the ridgid hard case with wheels. I just will wait till i make the trip over to the states to buy it. over here in canada it is double the price plus some.

I’m 99.9% sure the Ridgid cases are made by Keter. Don’t know price diff tho
    http://www.keter.com/en/tool-boxes-2

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I use a Husky tool tote for my hand tools. It works and is cheep.

I use the same type of bag….just a bit more messy.

Love the Knipex you’ve got in that bag. I’ve got one in my box, awesome tool!

Thats one of about 8 Knipex tools that I have in that bag actually. I love them!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

CB
    Spectator

I’ve never been able to remain consistent with any type of tool storage or tool transportation system. It always seems to evolve, as the work and needs and SECURITY issues evolve.

I’ve had a service/utility body on my truck for the last 17 years, but found that I don’t like to leave tools that I use too often to run to the truck to get, or are too important to loose to a thief, or can’t put inside for fear that a day laborer on the job brought in by someone else who I don’t will take notice of where I put what and where in the truck. Plus, who wants to go walking back and forth all day… better to just bring it all where the work is taking place.

CB
    Spectator

Like a lot of previous respondents, I categorize tools by activity… electrical, plumbing, carpentry, wrecking, caulking, painting, etc.

The etc is a lot of the sub categories within categories. For example, I found I needed to separate electrical testing and instrumentation… multiple meters, voltage wands, wire signal tracers, etc away from the pliers, crimpers, strippers, armoured cable cutters, knock out punch set yada yada, because the former group of instruments is obviously more delicate and doesn’t need to get knocked about with the hardened tool steel of lineman’s pliers.

Another example: I used to hate caulking many years ago, so I dove into it, buying a few of the the best English COX guns, some cornered, beveled, and slotted scrapers, and now there is no room for the tubes of caulk in the caulk box. But by then caulks and sealants got more sophisticated and differentiated, with all the different urethanes out there, and chemical compatibility issues and off-gassing with vinyls and butyls and asphaltic products etc, that I keep caulks and sealants in their own boxes, (especially since I special order them by the case in the color and chemistry specified).

CB
    Spectator

Dumb blind luck brought me into Home Depot one day, where they were selling big metal handled, double latching large metal clasps, 26″ tool boxes for $4.99. They nested empty, and stacked when loaded and closed. They didn’t latch and lock on to each other like L Boxxes, but the bottoms did interlock with the tops, in terms of not sliding off.

I bought all that store had, which was only 12. Looking back, I should have gone to the next HD a town over and drained that store as well. It took me no time at all to fill all 12 boxes, with a different subject in each. Such a sorry state of affairs my tool storage/transport arrangement is.

I still use handsaws. Most tool stores and big box stores don’t sell carpenters tool boxes anymore. Everything today is batteries and bags. But back in the day, the brown metal Kennedy carpenter’s tool box was standard issue, complete with a slot for a framing square to poke through the lid, and a cleat to hold the handsaw. I have four of these boxes… one just filled with handsaws of various kinds… rip, cross cut, big, small, etc.

Another 32″ box is filled with specialty hand saws… keyhole, coping, reversible flush cut, hack saw, wire saw, pipe saw, some Japanese saws with symbols on them I can’t understand but they work pretty good for solving a problem..

And yet another 32″ box holds my miter box saw… the kind where the full depth rectangular handsaw is suspended on a rail, and there are pre cut slots on the trough walls at common degree marks to stabilize the angle chosen. I think this relic will finally get fully retired with the purchase of the Bosch glide saw. But, the glide saw takes up 20 times the room in the truck.

Creating yet another tool storage and transportation problem. Sigh.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I also use a husky tote like what rons uses. However I am thinking of making the switch to what will uses and that is the ridgid hard case with wheels. I just will wait till i make the trip over to the states to buy it. over here in canada it is double the price plus some.

Are you allowed to bring things over the boarder with out paying some kind of import fee???

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Are you allowed to bring things over the boarder with out paying some kind of import fee???

oh i’ll end up paying tax for sure but even with the tax i’ll end up cheaper than if i bought it in canada.

hmm.. i wonder if i can find keters boxes here in Canada then, they tend not to have the full line up compared to what you can get in the US.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Oh nice find. That is the same as the Ridgid Boxx.. So I have Keter tables and Keter BoXXes,,

oh i’ll end up paying tax for sure but even with the tax i’ll end up cheaper than if i bought it in canada.

hmm.. i wonder if i can find keters boxes here in Canada then, they tend not to have the full line up compared to what you can get in the US.

We can, but at a huge markup on those keters

For importing stuff we bought in the usa,

If we visit the states for more than a few hours, we get an allowance (I think its a couple hundred dollars for 24 hours, and almost a grand per person after a week)

We never hit the cap, as a family of three

On a day trip, we have to pay the GST value on the price we paid, comverted to canadian dollars. Thats about 7%. In quebec, we also have a provincial sales tax of about 8% (not sure of split, but we pay 15% total) but we dont have to pay that on import since te borders only collect federal taxes.

That means that at the same price (after exchange rate) it is already cheaper to buy in the states because of taxes. Hell, I often buy online from provinces without a provincial sales tax just to save the money

i want a new Ego 56v string trimmer/weed whacker. Its 129$ in the states. With exchange and duty (If I do it in a same day trip) thats about $180 Canadian. If I buy it in Canada, its $249, plus 15% tax, so about $290. That difference is insane.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

your very right.. .the price comparisons from us to canada is pretty crazy…

im noticing it more than ever when i do my tool reviews as i typically end my reviews with both us and CA pricing.

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

If we visit the states for more than a few hours, we get an allowance (I think its a couple hundred dollars for 24 hours, and almost a grand per person after a week)

On a day trip, we have to pay the GST value on the price we paid, comverted to canadian dollars. Thats about 7%. In quebec, we also have a provincial sales tax of about 8% (not sure of split, but we pay 15% total) but we dont have to pay that on import since te borders only collect federal taxes.

That means that at the same price (after exchange rate) it is already cheaper to buy in the states because of taxes. Hell, I often buy online from provinces without a provincial sales tax just to save the money

i want a new Ego 56v string trimmer/weed whacker. Its 129$ in the states. With exchange and duty (If I do it in a same day trip) thats about $180 Canadian. If I buy it in Canada, its $249, plus 15% tax, so about $290. That difference is insane.

it also depends on what you are buying, and how much it is. for a day trip if you haven’t bought too much they don’t really ding you, however if you are crazy above the limit then you’ll get searched or sent to the paystation where you will pay a decent amount but generally its still cheaper. the cart itself is 129 canadian with tax is 145.77 convert that to us is 109.36 US Dollar. The cart in a US home depot is 59 usd which is 78 canadian. which in itself isn’t that big of a deal unless you are buying the whole cart and happen to be over the border for groceries or food.

dancap
    Pro

I just started to buy Lboxxes for my power tools
    I have always struggled with organizing hand tools!
    tried bags with tool walls
    if i use tool boxes or bags, i always wind up just throwing everything in and it really screws up my work day
    bucket buddy is cool, but I always fill up the bucket part!
    Im sure there is a solution 🙂

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

The thing I dislike about bags no matter what I need it is always at the bottom. You spend more time digging than using the tool.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie

The thing I dislike about bags no matter what I need it is always at the bottom. You spend more time digging than using the tool.

So true for many applications. Bag holders for me are restricted to single tool and if there’s accessories in there too they have to be easy-peazy retrievable.

A lot of depends on the tool, but I know what you mean.

it also depends on what you are buying, and how much it is. for a day trip if you haven’t bought too much they don’t really ding you, however if you are crazy above the limit then you’ll get searched or sent to the paystation where you will pay a decent amount but generally its still cheaper. the cart itself is 129 canadian with tax is 145.77 convert that to us is 109.36 US Dollar. The cart in a US home depot is 59 usd which is 78 canadian. which in itself isn’t that big of a deal unless you are buying the whole cart and happen to be over the border for groceries or food.

I always assume Im going to the pay station, on my day trips at least. Since the amount is only equal to GST (not GST+PST/HST) its still less than here, and usually they just wave me through anyways since the amount isnt worth the time

For small and easy access I have a little travel toolbox made by Festool . Just like @Austin has . It’s like a go box . Doesn’t carry everything thow .

Always willing to learn .

Attachments:
    WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

At the moment I’ve got husky amd kunys tool bags for alot of my hand tools, because of having to dump them to find things I have them set up for different jobs like electrical and plumbing. Each bag also has a full screwdriver set.

I’ve been thinking of getting them into lboxx 1s or 2’s though.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Murphy’s Law. LOL

It is always the case when you need that one tool.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.354 seconds