dcsimg

Half inch router bits

Tagged: 

Viewing 12 posts - 21 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author

Might want an Roman Ogee and or a Cove & Bead Bit for some edge profiles.

Good add – I thought I had typed an ogee bit on there – ogee and Roman Ogee — two different curves, but a good addition. A beading bit is good too.

Orange County, CA

yellaD
    Pro

Just checked that website and made a little wish list. I love the gray color and weight of carbide cutters.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I wish bosch makes case for all the router bits they come individual I have the cheap 80 piece set but I wanna start making some mouldings on my router table so gonna need bunch of planjng to suspend 500 on bits and some kind of case maybe I can use lboxx org53

Doobie

I wish bosch makes case for all the router bits they come individual I have the cheap 80 piece set but I wanna start making some mouldings on my router table so gonna need bunch of planjng to suspend 500 on bits and some kind of case maybe I can use lboxx org53

Are you replicating what may be somewhat traditional molding. Despite that you may not find it in BB stores, there are often lumber yards/distributors that can do it on different woods for a heck of lot cheaper than and faster at times than doing it from scratch yourself. Just suggesting you might want to pick up the phone and call around first.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Are you replicating what may be somewhat traditional molding. Despite that you may not find it in BB stores, there are often lumber yards/distributors that can do it on different woods for a heck of lot cheaper than and faster at times than doing it from scratch yourself. Just suggesting you might want to pick up the phone and call around first.

On the other hand, I was in need of 3/4″ oak quarter round last week, only 30′ or so. I had the round over bit and the oak, offcuts from another project. Long story short, half an hour later I had the moulding finished ready for stain, basically for free.
    The bit came with a used router purchase last summer.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Doobie

On the other hand, I was in need of 3/4″ oak quarter round last week, only 30′ or so. I had the round over bit and the oak, offcuts from another project. Long story short, half an hour later I had the moulding finished ready for stain, basically for free.
    The bit came with a used router purchase last summer.

Free is always good. Especially if it doesn’t eat to much time doing yourself.

Has anyone tried or use the bits from Lee Valley? I see they carry 8mm shank and I am thinking about getting some of them to use. I like 8mm shanks and you can actually buy the collet for Bosch’s MR23 series router, which is great.

Orange County, CA

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Has anyone tried or use the bits from Lee Valley? I see they carry 8mm shank and I am thinking about getting some of them to use. I like 8mm shanks and you can actually buy the collet for Bosch’s MR23 series router, which is great.

I have a really mixed collection of Freud, Delta, PC and Lee Valley, both 1/4 and 1/2″. Lee valley performs right up there with the best of them IMO.
    I used a LV door set for my kitchen build recently — very smooth on white oak. IIRC they have dropped some profiles from their offering recently.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

I have a really mixed collection of Freud, Delta, PC and Lee Valley, both 1/4 and 1/2″. Lee valley performs right up there with the best of them IMO.
    I used a LV door set for my kitchen build recently — very smooth on white oak. IIRC they have dropped some profiles from their offering recently.

Thanks for the feedback. They seem reasonably priced so might give them a try. In the 8mm size they do not have everything, but a couple of important bits that I need.

Orange County, CA

Doobie

Has anyone tried or use the bits from Lee Valley? I see they carry 8mm shank and I am thinking about getting some of them to use.

While they didn’t say it was the reason, they likely started making 8mm shanks with carrying Festool for retail in Canada. Lots of Festool is 8mm equipped of only takes 8mm like my MFK router and also their 1010 router.

Festool cut back their NA router bit offerings a few years back from a boatload to a handful of bits, so I think LV also saw an opportunity in offering their line in 8mm bits.

I like 8mm shanks and you can actually buy the collet for Bosch’s MR23 series router, which is great.

Is that the only NA Bosch offered router that you can get an 8mm collet for?

I’m holding my breath for whether the new Colt coming out in early 2016 is 8mm capable like the Colts sold with 8mm standard in Europe.

Has anyone tried or use the bits from Lee Valley? I see they carry 8mm shank and I am thinking about getting some of them to use.

While they didn’t say it was the reason, they likely started making 8mm shanks with carrying Festool for retail in Canada. Lots of Festool is 8mm equipped of only takes 8mm like my MFK router and also their 1010 router.

Festool cut back their NA router bit offerings a few years back from a boatload to a handful of bits, so I think LV also saw an opportunity in offering their line in 8mm bits.

I like 8mm shanks and you can actually buy the collet for Bosch’s MR23 series router, which is great.

Is that the only NA Bosch offered router that you can get an 8mm collet for?

I’m holding my breath for whether the new Colt coming out in early 2016 is 8mm capable like the Colts sold with 8mm standard in Europe.

Yeah – I bought lots of Festool bits when they were on clearance a few years back and they cut extremely well. I think that the Colt and other routers internationally sold have 8mm collets, so they exist, but getting them in NA is another matter. Bosch actually has the collet for the MR23 in its catalog and I think I might have even redeemed points for it. You might be able to get it for the 1617 series router too.

Orange County, CA

Doobie

Yeah – I bought lots of Festool bits when they were on clearance a few years back and they cut extremely well.

That is also one thing I will attest to/ Festool makes extremely good bits.

Bosch does also from what I’ve read. Don’t have any of their bits yet, but I have been looking at getting their Forstner bit set which reviews have shown them to be excellent. FWW had a review a few years back that had them graded up there with Famag bits.

Viewing 12 posts - 21 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.360 seconds