dcsimg

Half inch router bits

Tagged: 

This topic contains 31 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Doobie 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)
  • Author

Toolshead
    Pro
    In the Rice Fields, South TX

I made my first redemption a couple of months ago for a router and router table. The main reason was that the Bosch router is ½ inch.

Now I’m in the market for some half inch router bits. Does anyone have some good leads on half inch bits that one can get without breaking the bank?

I’m looking for a pretty standard assortment of straight, bearing guided trim, dovetail, and roundover bits. I work with all kinds of woods, but recently it seems to be mostly cedar. Also looking at spiral for the table – I’ve never used spiral before. I did read http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/spiral-router-bits/ and lots of other stuff on them.

I haven’t come up with any specialty bits either yet to take advantage of the half inch capability of the router. Is there anything unique that you guys use?

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

there are a lot of bits on the rewards list. I rarely buy 1/4″ bits unless I can not get what I want in 1/2″ bits.

I have a lot of specialty bits for handrails, rail and stile doors, panel cutters, ogee’s, etc that are all 1/2″ bits. The Bosch bits have performed well for me, I probably have more of them than any, Freud and CMT are also great bits.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Unique? Not really… But it is handy to have a wide assortment.

I buy mostly CMT and Bosch bits as they are available locally and are very reliable. The aren’t cheap, but they aren’t the most expensive either. Of the 150 or so that I’ve ever bought, I’ve broken 1…and that was on reclaimed wood that had a nail in it that I failed to remove.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

there are a lot of bits on the rewards list.

To go a bit further…ALL Bosch bits are available through BTP, you just have to find the part numbers and ask him what they will cost.

Smaller straight bits are under 10k generally and larger panel bits/sets can run 45k.

Jon P.
    Instagram

Doobie
    Pro

I have just about everything in half inch and 8mm size bits. I do not own any Bosch bits, but I would think they are good quality bits. They seem to make good cutting accessories all around and I would expect that to be the same with router bits.

Lee Valley has good bits. I do not hesitate to buy them when I need a profile. Freud, which is a Bosch subsidiary, makes bits I am happy with as well.

A few tips. Don’t buy cheapo bits. Unless it is on clearance, you get what you pay for with bits. Those kits with umpteen bits at some dirt cheap price are typically a waste of money. Cheap bits will dull fast and burn out or if they have ‘parts’ to them, fall apart easily.

Another tip is with the exception of just a few basic ones to have on hand, is to buy bits as you need them. I used to buy the Freud’s that were getting cleared out at my local HD every time they would be clearing out older models, and found that while I walk out thinking how much money I saved, a lot of those bits over time never get used. If you try to buy every type of bit there is out there, you will end up in the poor house. There are hundreds if not thousands of different bits out there.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I have had pretty good luck buying used routers which most often come with a selection of bits. Keep the bits and resell the router.

Failing that, I generally buy Freud or Lee Valley, both reliable sellers and good quality product. I buy for each job that comes up; it doesn’t take long to build up a good assortment.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Most of my bits are either Freud or Whiteside. Quality stuff. If you do want reviews – FineWoodworking.com and other magazine sites will help you. Doobie has sound advice above about buying various bits. I too have a bunch that have yet to bite wood.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Sets are often more economical to get you started then it’s buying singles as you need. I have a collection of Freud, CMT, Bosch, Whiteside and a few MLCS. They all work well if you keep them clean. It’s amazing how fast you can get build up on a router bit.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Sets are often more economical to get you started then it’s buying singles as you need

Very true…at first. After purchasing a box set of bits you’ll learn which profiles you like the best. I can’t recommend continuing to buy those a sets as you likely will need to replace a specific few at a time as opposed to the entire box.

Jon P.
    Instagram

yellaD
    Pro

I agree with going for 1/2″ or 8mm every time over 1/4″ shanks, less rattle. The cheap stuff will only be usable on softwoods at best and will burn out quicker. I have Freud and redeemed for Bosch, but got only the ones I needed at the time.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Sets are often more economical to get you started then it’s buying singles as you need

Very true…at first. After purchasing a box set of bits you’ll learn which profiles you like the best. I can’t recommend continuing to buy those a sets as you likely will need to replace a specific few at a time as opposed to the entire box.

I totally agree and I should have been clear. Sets are great for things like your undersized plywood bits:

http://www.amazon.ca/Freud-89-650-Undersized-Plywood-Hi-Density/dp/B000NJ7AZG

and your “essential” bits, another great set:

http://www.amazon.com/Whiteside-Router-Bits-410-Essential/dp/B0012JI4UQ

Brad T

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I am a big fan of the solid carbide spirals for template work and mortises. One at a time is the only way I can afford them. In 1/2″ shank they are really solid and smooth cutting.

I am a big fan of the solid carbide spirals for template work

For template work, I have fallen in love with this baby. It is so smooth! Here’s what they say about it: If you route with templates a lot, the Whiteside Ultimate Trim Bits are for you. The compression spiral design results in smooth cuts.

Attachments:

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

For template work, I have fallen in love with this baby. It is so smooth! Here’s what they say about it: If you route with templates a lot, the Whiteside Ultimate Trim Bits are for you. The compression spiral design results in smooth cuts.

That’s a beautiful bit and a price to match. It’s on my wish list for sure!

Brad T

yellaD
    Pro

I will try to find some Whiteside bits, tough to get those in Oshawa. They sound amazing!

I like Whiteside bits the best and also have had good luck with CMT, Freud and Bosch. I think that you should buy bits as you need them — a few essential bits can accomplish lots of routing. What are you using your router for? Making molding? Edge profiles? Raised panel doors? Various joinery? All of the above? Not meant to be facetious, but it is easy to buy lots of bits that seldom get used.

I would recommend a few straight bits (3/8 inch and 1/2 inch), a 1/4 inch spiral, a rabbeting bit with various bearings, a couple of round-over bits 1/4, 3/8 inch, a dovetail bit and a 3/8 inch cove, and a flush trimming bit to start.

Orange County, CA

Doobie
    Pro

I will try to find some Whiteside bits, tough to get those in Oshawa. They sound amazing!

Dan Clermont who owns Ultimate Tools in Burnaby B.C. carries them. He is great to deal with.

http://www.ultimatetools.ca/collections/vendors?q=Whiteside

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I would recommend a few straight bits (3/8 inch and 1/2 inch), a 1/4 inch spiral, a rabbeting bit with various bearings, a couple of round-over bits 1/4, 3/8 inch, a dovetail bit and a 3/8 inch cove, and a flush trimming bit to start.

Might want an Roman Ogee and or a Cove & Bead Bit for some edge profiles.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I am a big fan of the solid carbide spirals for template work

I’ve heard about them. Maybe I’ll ask Santa.

Dan Clermont who owns Ultimate Tools in Burnaby B.C. carries them. He is great to deal with.

http://www.ultimatetools.ca/collections/vendors?q=Whiteside

Thanks, Kevin, I got that bookmarked.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.635 seconds