dcsimg

GTS 1031 Upgrade

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    OldCountryWoodworks
    Pro
    Edmonton, Alberta

For those of you that have a love hate relationship with the baby bosch saw.

The hard start will lock the blade or make it extremely hard to remove the nut.

I purchased a soft start for the Ridgid tablesaw at a cost of 116 can. It is an easy wire and fits into the switch housing, It just lays on the bottom.

So my GTS 1031 is now a soft start.

I install kitchen cabinets and this is the minimum saw I would use. I have made a side extension and an out feed extension from 5/8 baltic Birch.

I also took the left hand washer out and had a machinist take off 1/4 inch, now I can use 3 inch blade stabilizers and the blade is still centered.

I change my blades about once a week, keep em sharp. If you are pushing it is dull.
    The blades need to be butter sharp ALL the time.

Also take the time to use a rip blade when ripping.

Served apprenticeship in 1977 in Bavaria

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I use the saw because it stores well in the work van and can be carried up stairs with one hand. As for upgrades,, I don’t know. The saw has a lot of very cheap parts on it. The knob that holds the push stick keeps breaking. I buy them 3 at a time. The throat plate like to bend and is just to thin and cheap. The wrench to change the blade is too cheap and breaks.
    Other than that I love the saw.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Doobie

I use the saw because it stores well in the work van and can be carried up stairs with one hand. As for upgrades,, I don’t know. The saw has a lot of very cheap parts on it. The knob that holds the push stick keeps breaking. I buy them 3 at a time. The throat plate like to bend and is just to thin and cheap. The wrench to change the blade is too cheap and breaks.

Do you know if there is a third party that makes a better throat plate for the 1031 saw? I may actually get that saw at one point. I’m just not sure if I’d get a 4100 instead, or any for a second saw I could use outside my main shop.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I also took the left hand washer out and had a machinist take off 1/4 inch, now I can use 3 inch blade stabilizers and the blade is still centered.

I like that idea. Blade flutter with thin kerf blades and jobsite saws is sometimes very difficult to manage.

I change my blades about once a week, keep em sharp. If you are pushing it is dull.

Do you have the blades sharpened or do you replace them?

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I’ve replaced that knob too. And I use an actual wrench for the motor side but when changing blades and that’s helped a lot to not wreck the little open ended wrench that comes with the saw. But if I have to switch the sides the washers are on (like I do when running a 1/2” dado) then I use the little thin guy.

I would love to get a saw that had fewer of the issues this one does, but it’s been such a reliable tool for me. I’m not looking forward to it dying.

But I’ve tripped so many breakers on startup, I definitely wouldn’t mind having it start softer.

Charlie

Instagram

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

For those of you that have a love hate relationship with the baby bosch saw.

The hard start will lock the blade or make it extremely hard to remove the nut.

I purchased a soft start for the Ridgid tablesaw at a cost of 116 can. It is an easy wire and fits into the switch housing, It just lays on the bottom.

So my GTS 1031 is now a soft start.

I install kitchen cabinets and this is the minimum saw I would use. I have made a side extension and an out feed extension from 5/8 baltic Birch.

The blades need to be butter sharp ALL the time.

Also take the time to use a rip blade when ripping.

Is this the part?

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/soft-start-assembly-p-2569064.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrcCKjauh4QIVxyCtBh11vwq6EAQYASABEgJRCPD_BwE

Charlie

Instagram

I saw a company that was making a soft start module that was like an extension cord design so that any tool would become some start, if you are not comfortable re-wiring, however the review I read said it would be best for short duration use (i.e. chopsaw or a couple of minutes at a time) as it would heat up.

Will

Doobie

I saw a company that was making a soft start module that was like an extension cord design so that any tool would become some start, if you are not comfortable re-wiring, however the review I read said it would be best for short duration use (i.e. chopsaw or a couple of minutes at a time) as it would heat up.

Then I wouldn’t think it’s a good idea for a table saw.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

But I’ve tripped so many breakers on startup

That is a issue with the saw. It is a breaker popper.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

redwood
    Pro

I’ve never popped a breaker with my wormdrive Skil Table saw.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

OldCountryWoodworks
    Pro
    Edmonton, Alberta

Yes that is the part. The hard start is why your wrenches are breaking. That nut should never be that tight.

OldCountryWoodworks
    Pro
    Edmonton, Alberta

I sharpen my blades, I get 4-6 sharpenings before they are worn out.

In my opinion if you are replacing blades when they get dull, you are working dangerously.

My blades get swapped out every two kitchen installs

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.418 seconds