dcsimg

Grizzly 4.5 inch mini track saw

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Kamster
    Pro

I was flipping through a Canadian woodworking magazine and saw an ad for this mini track saw from Grizzly.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mini-Track-Saw-4-1-2-/T10824

I did a quick search here and didn’t see anything about it. I’m guessing that its been out for a while. It has a 1 and 1/16 inch cutting depth when used on the track.

Has anyone used this saw? Any feedback about it as an inexpensive option?

Looks about as cheap as their other track saw offering. I am not sure what the appeal is?

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Looks about as cheap as their other track saw offering. I am not sure what the appeal is?

I would agree. Its Very small…not sure why anyone would opt for this saw over a 160mm version.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

I know Grizzly offers some inexpensive items, but $70 with 4 blades? $23 for the track and $24 for two clamps and a track connector? That’s cheap!
    ” I am not sure what the appeal is? ”
    I’ve been following the discussions on the Glowforge laser cutter forum, and this might be attractive to some buyers for breaking down materials to fit. Or robotics enthusiasts who might be trying different plastics, woods, sheet metal. If it will actually cut anything it may appeal for that versatility combined with low cost.

yellaD
    Pro

I agree with @overanalyze’s opinion. Their full size isn’t very powerful as is.

I actually found that the NAINA 12V circ was pretty useful for breaking down large pieces of plywood I didn’t want to try to handle solo onto the 4100 so I could see the appeal of this. I even had dust collection hooked up and it had sufficient power cut during cutting with the 4ah pack.

Kamster
    Pro

The appeal for some may be the dust collection that should be an improvement over a sidewinder circular saw. I’m curious about splintering along the cut edge – how much better is it than a circular saw. Since this appears to plunge like a bigger track saw it may be useful in some situations. The Rockwell Versasaw with a smaller blade had some advocates – maybe this Grizzly saw has some too?

@Kamster

You could run the saw backwards with a shallow scoring cut then run it forward to reduce splintering. I was doing that with my NAINA Bosch 12V circ saw and then I noticed that the 15/32″ plywood I was using didn’t really splinter normal cuts.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I burnt the full size one out the first time I used it..

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

have to agree with the other comments – looks cheaply.
    It kinda looks like a Harbor Freight tool

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I was flipping through a Canadian woodworking magazine and saw an ad for this mini track saw from Grizzly.

I did a quick search here and didn’t see anything about it. I’m guessing that its been out for a while. It has a 1 and 1/16 inch cutting depth when used on the track.

is it easy to get grizzly stuff in Canada? I’ve been wondering about their bandsaws as they are priced competitively.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

For a DIYer or HO looking to cut plywood it probably would be alright. I’d consider it if it was cordless. I don’t do a lot of panel cutting but could sure some help keeping a straight line when I do .

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

For a DIYer or HO looking to cut plywood it probably would be alright. I’d consider it if it was cordless. I don’t do a lot of panel cutting but could sure some help keeping a straight line when I do .

Better be a short panel with the track only 24″

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

After reading Dirty’s comment, I would be even more suspect of the quality of this item. The Rockwell might be a better alternative if you looking to cut something with a smaller saw.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Better be a short panel with the track only 24″

Guess they want you to buy multiple tracks to get complete 4X8′ coverage.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Doesn’t look like it would hold up even in a busy DIY backyard.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Kamster
    Pro

is it easy to get grizzly stuff in Canada? I’ve been wondering about their bandsaws as they are priced competitively.

The Grizzly ad was in the latest issue of Canadian Woodworking (Jan 2016). At the bottom of the ad was a discount code and a note about free brokerage rates on machinery crossing into Canada.

I’m about 30 minutes away from the Bellingham Grizzly store but I don’t head over the border too often

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

Price is right and i can see its main use to cut down sheet goods for those who dont own a full size table saw

yellaD
    Pro

Still seems like a counter productive tool, just for the DIY/HO to say “I got tracksaw!” They’d be better off with a aftermarket rail system that fits their circular saw. At least that’s what I’d do…

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Price is right and i can see its main use to cut down sheet goods for those who dont own a full size table saw

No I don’t think so,, It’s a POS!

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.446 seconds