dcsimg

Grinder / shroud

This topic contains 14 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Doobie 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

So I don’t know if my grinder is flawed or it is the nature of the tool but my Bosch grinder with the paddle switch is terrible to operate. The paddle locks and won’t release. I literally have to pull the plug.

This was a tool I redeemed here it started with a missing button and which Jim had to send me a replacement part so it could just be a flawed tool butt a shame it’s not more user-friendly.

Today I hooked up a shroud cutting Guide to the Grindr so I can hook up my dust extractor and cut plaster inside a house. To increase efficiency I taped close the side opening of the shroud. I would say 95% of the Dust was consumed. Unfortunately the design of the Shroud you cannot see what you’re cutting there’s no indication markers or anything visible to see the blade once you start cutting.

I was excited to use it and ended up disappointed.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

So I don’t know if my grinder is flawed or it is the nature of the tool but my Bosch grinder with the paddle switch is terrible to operate. The paddle locks and won’t release. I literally have to pull the plug.

This was a tool I redeemed here it started with a missing button and which Jim had to send me a replacement part so it could just be a flawed tool butt a shame it’s not more user-friendly.

Today I hooked up a shroud cutting Guide to the Grindr so I can hook up my dust extractor and cut plaster inside a house. To increase efficiency I taped close the side opening of the shroud. I would say 95% of the Dust was consumed. Unfortunately the design of the Shroud you cannot see what you’re cutting there’s no indication markers or anything visible to see the blade once you start cutting.

I was excited to use it and ended up disappointed.

As most tools with full shrouds you can’t see what you are cutting so what I do make a offset line and fallow that with the shoe of the tool. It works great.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

As most tools with full shrouds you can’t see what you are cutting so what I do make a offset line and fallow that with the shoe of the tool. It works great.

That’s a great idea Thank you for sharing Dirty.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

The hilti I have allows for the dust shroud to open up on one side so you can see the line, but the dust collection is affected where it loses some dust. I wonder if bosch has a shroud with this feature on it as well.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Maybe if someone made them for such a purpose with a laser line that emits from the grinder shrpud before and after where the cut line is it would help with this issue.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Well thats a problem…but here’s a potential solution.

Mark the blade location on the front edge of the grinder with a sharpie, then remove the shroud and cut a notch in that location. If you marked the blade location properly, you’ll now have a reference mark much like the front shoe of a circular saw.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Masterbosch
    Pro
    Wayne, NJ

I think @dirtywhiteboy has the perfect solution for this just use the offset guide with tape bet way in somecases and this is one of them

plusoneconstructionllc@gmail.com

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Well thats a problem…but here’s a potential solution.

Mark the blade location on the front edge of the grinder with a sharpie, then remove the shroud and cut a notch in that location. If you marked the blade location properly, you’ll now have a reference mark much like the front shoe of a circular saw.

This was exactly my own solution but in the meantime did a visual spot of the shroud I felt was close. I was so turned off by it……I stopped trying to make it work and grabbed my old one that is reliable as the day I bought it.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

What model is it . Is it this one like I bought .

Attachments:

Always willing to learn .

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Yeah that’s the one. 4 1/2″ right?
    The paddle would be safer if it didn’t lock.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

The Milwaukee 49-40-6110 cutting dust shroud is getting good reviews, it has a depth setting and a blade guide.

However the negatives are: (1) It works with only some models of the Milwaukee grinders, not all, and most likely won’t work with other brand grinders. (2) It is intended to work with the Milwaukee 8 Gal. dust extractor (8960-20) only, don’t know why it would matter which vac is being used and (3) Not good for left handed usage.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

That looks good. I ultimately choose to tape up the side to trap more dust which allows the vac to work even better. A notch in the leading shroud floor plate is as good as it gets.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

The Milwaukee 49-40-6110 cutting dust shroud is getting good reviews, it has a depth setting and a blade guide.

However the negatives are: (1) It works with only some models of the Milwaukee grinders, not all, and most likely won’t work with other brand grinders. (2) It is intended to work with the Milwaukee 8 Gal. dust extractor (8960-20) only, don’t know why it would matter which vac is being used and (3) Not good for left handed usage.

I just got this one from Bosch and will be using it soon. The height adjustment on it is easy. You just turn the knob and the mechanism moves the blade depth up and down as you turn the knob allowing for very easy depth adjustmemts.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I just got this one from Bosch and will be using it soon. The height adjustment on it is easy. You just turn the knob and the mechanism moves the blade depth up and down as you turn the knob allowing for very easy depth adjustmemts.

Thanks Kevin, would love to hear your experience when using this shroud.

The reviews seem to suggest that the little transparent viewing window in the front gets clouded quickly obscuring the actual cut, so most are cutting by “feel” and have to often lift the grinder off the surface to check on the work. I also saw the max depth is 3/4″ which seems a bit too small when cutting old plaster which can easily get over 1″. For this reason I am always looking for a good shroud.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

The depth limit, which I will try at some point to confirm is limited to three quarter inches, is of no consequence to me as I bought it simply to score break lines in green concrete slabs. The shroud actually came with a Bosch 5 inch grinder along with a normal shroud. I also read as you did that the visibility thru the window was largely useless. This is the one I bought.

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/tuckpointers-ag50-10tg-122882-p/

I was actually gonna redeem for this tuck point grinder below for 200K points which came with just the tuckpointing shroud and a quarter inch thick blade, but not only did I feel the blade was a tad too widish for scored break lines, the other one is more powerful and I thought it was good value @ $240 for what I got although it came with a metal cutting disc. No matter, I bought a narrower concrete blade at a local supply store for $40.

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/tuckpointers-1775e-26985-p/?campaign_id_cookie=

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.650 seconds