dcsimg

Grinder Dilemma

This topic contains 47 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  svensshutters 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Author

I just got to ask. I don’t cut a lot of metal. So why take the guard off when cutting metal? I never thought of taking mine off. Doesn’t it help contain the hot sparks? Keeping them out of your face.

I am usually cutting brackets off, or getting into tight spaces. The guaurd typically gets in my way. All cutting if new metal for fab work gets done on the band saw, with the plasma or on the chop saw.

@mrtooljunkie I let the smoke out of my 4.5″ grinder tonight. I am sure you got a bosch unit. I am really confused on the paddle and lock options. What model did you get, do you like it, and what is it’s configuration? Thanks

Hey Brad – I got the paddle 4.5 inch on the list – I think it was 95K. It has a lock-on/off switch and the paddle goes the entire length of the grinder body so you can turn it on and grip the tool from lots of different positions. I was not sure if I would like the paddle as I have always used slide-on switches in these types of tools, but I really do like the switch. It is low vibration and seems to be really high quality throughout. I do not have a ton of hours on it yet, but I have done some grinding of metal and some odd cuts and it worked really well. My main use was to fit it with a wood carving disk like a Kutzall or something. Have not tried that application yet, but I am really please with it so far. Got an L-Boxx 2 and foam to store it in – plenty of room for the tool, spanner, discs and the dust shroud for surface grinding I also got.

Orange County, CA

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I just got to ask. I don’t cut a lot of metal. So why take the guard off when cutting metal? I never thought of taking mine off. Doesn’t it help contain the hot sparks? Keeping them out of your face.

Getting into tight spaces sometimes the guard gets in the way. If you are cutting metal on the bench, no problem with the guard. What I have done is gone to smaller grinders for getting into tight spaces and leaving the guard on.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Thanks Scot. I wanted to make sure it had a lock on switch. The bosch literature is goofy. I’m going to get one ordered up from BTP next week.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

Yes…it makes no sense and Amazon contradicts everything. I went to Lowes and they had the lower amp model with the same configuration and that is how I tested it. You cannot see a good picture of the bottom of the tool either to see the little lock-on tab. Only thing it does not have is variable speed, but most of what I need it for does not require lowering the speed…so, I should be OK.

The cordless unit looks pretty cool, though.

Orange County, CA

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

The cordless unit looks pretty cool, though.

I’ve been working on my truck this week and with my cordless makita LED, the LED bosch lid, bosch cordless impact and my makita grinder have completely convinced me that corded tools are on their way out. What a pleasure having great battery life and good power.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

Yeah…I agree. The batteries are getting amazing and last a long, long time.

Orange County, CA

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I’ve been working on my truck this week and with my cordless makita LED, the LED bosch lid, bosch cordless impact and my makita grinder have completely convinced me that corded tools are on their way out. What a pleasure having great battery life and good power.

Brad I agree. One thing I have come to really like is the LED lighting on the tools. When I first read about it I thought it was kinda gimmicky. Now though I wonder why it took so long for the tool manufacturers to add it. Once you use a tool with the light any tool without the light seems to make the job harder.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Yup I agree, the cordless grinder is on my list. I have a Porter Cable that I have had for years. Anywhere other than the shop, the cord is long enough to be a hassle. Used it yesterday and just after I put away all of the extentions cords, I had to pm them out again. PITA!

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.482 seconds