dcsimg

Got Zapped Today

This topic contains 79 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  RonW 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 80 total)
  • Author

I’ve gotten hit with 110v and it stings. Gotta be more cautious my friend. That could’ve ended a lot worse.

It happens more often when were in rush to finish a project . I like to lock out the panel when electric work is being done . So no ones accidentally turns a switch on .

Always willing to learn .

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

It happens more often when were in rush to finish a project . I like to lock out the panel when electric work is being done . So no ones accidentally turns a switch on .

I tend to shut the breaker off when I’m doing any work on a circuit, I do know others that will hit the main to the house just to be on the safe side.

The last live circuit I worked on the PO had crossed his neutral and common. I’t took me a bit after a few shocks to figure out why the light fixture still had power after turning off the switch. It was from that point on I hit the breaker.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

jim_hunt17
    Pro
    Milwaukee, WI

I work with live electricity way to often. A lot of my electrical work is post lights and outside lights. Most of our homeowners are gone to work and the timing to shut off breakers does not always work so I end up working with live wires. I hate it and have been working with my boss to figure out a better way to do it. The last thing he needs is a huge workmans comp claim.

Jim H.
    Milwaukee, WI

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I work with live electricity way to often. A lot of my electrical work is post lights and outside lights. Most of our homeowners are gone to work and the timing to shut off breakers does not always work so I end up working with live wires. I hate it and have been working with my boss to figure out a better way to do it. The last thing he needs is a huge workmans comp claim.

That would be a tough deal with no way to turn off the electricity when you get there. There has to be a solution. Maybe one of the Sparky’s will chime in with one.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I tend to shut the breaker off when I’m doing any work on a circuit, I do know others that will hit the main to the house just to be on the safe side.

The last live circuit I worked on the PO had crossed his neutral and common. I’t took me a bit after a few shocks to figure out why the light fixture still had power after turning off the switch. It was from that point on I hit the breaker.

Lol I think you might be pointing at me, i shut off the whole house just to be on the safe side as this is an older house, who knows what idiot ideas they had prior to me moving in.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

That would be a tough deal with no way to turn off the electricity when you get there. There has to be a solution. Maybe one of the Sparky’s will chime in with one.

I am not an electrician, but it seems to me that there shouldn’t be able to be a way to shut off power to the house from the outside, otherwise some prankster could come by the house and safely, reliably turn off power without a key (not ideal). It might make sense to have a second main breaker in an outdoor location with a locked access panel/box, but then you’d still need to give the electrician that key for them to turn off the power. This also seems like too niche of an application to introduce one more point of failure to the system.

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

I have accidentally shorted out a live circuit before and tripped the breaker…it’s dead after that!

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I am not an electrician, but it seems to me that there shouldn’t be able to be a way to shut off power to the house from the outside, otherwise some prankster could come by the house and safely, reliably turn off power without a key (not ideal). It might make sense to have a second main breaker in an outdoor location with a locked access panel/box, but then you’d still need to give the electrician that key for them to turn off the power. This also seems like too niche of an application to introduce one more point of failure to the system.

Electrical shut offs are required on multi residence homes(apartments) for fire safety reasons. They cannot be locked either.

Pranksters will have their fun, but the fire inspector will write a bunch of fines if the shut offs are locked out and left that way!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I have accidentally shorted out a live circuit before and tripped the breaker…it’s dead after that!

That’s a good idea.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Lol I think you might be pointing at me, i shut off the whole house just to be on the safe side as this is an older house, who knows what idiot ideas they had prior to me moving in.

HeHe I wasn’t mentioning names. Best to be on the safe side. 🙂

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

I have not been zapped in a few years. Just saying that makes me think another one is coming soon. Still a good bit of demo to do on one of our jobs, so it will likely be there.

Wow That’s crazy. Glad to hear your OK. I was installing a ceiling fan in a house one day. Rushing to get done I held a set of needle nose pliers in my teeth and when I moved closer to look at something with a flashlight I touched a wire with the exposed end of the pliers and it knocked me right off the ladder! LOL. I was young then and learned the important lesson to turn off the breakers before starting!

Tony Jannotti

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Wow That’s crazy. Glad to hear your OK. I was installing a ceiling fan in a house one day. Rushing to get done I held a set of needle nose pliers in my teeth and when I moved closer to look at something with a flashlight I touched a wire with the exposed end of the pliers and it knocked me right off the ladder! LOL. I was young then and learned the important lesson to turn off the breakers before starting!

Ouch! Tony, that makes me shiver just thinking about it. In your teeth, no less.

https://www.instagram.com/woodiworkshop/

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

That’s funny that this got resurrected, because I was just thinking about this on Monday, when I accidentally got my Tele-Handler side-hilled while doing some demo. I had both uphill wheels off the ground, and I was sliding sideways. It was inches from rolling over.

I couldn’t bail, because there is another house just below me, and it would have rolled and tumbled backwards and wasted it. The machine weighs 24.000 pounds. It’s also about 40 years old, so it has no side door, or even a bar, and the seat is not even attached to the machine anymore, so riding it through a rollover would probably not be survivable.

I finally managed to get it down the hill after a couple minutes, but that was probably the most scared Ive been since I can remember.

Too many close calls already for me this year, especially for someone who is obsessed with safety. I’m even an EMT, for frig sake.

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

I was doing some kitchen demo yesterday and removed a lot of fixtures. I try to never work hot, so I don’t have to worry about zaps. I was removing a built in stove, and had the power off. As we were pulling the stove out, I reached down to feed the wires through the box and one of the sharp strands pricked my finger pretty good. There is always that millisecond where you think you just got zapped.

I was doing some kitchen demo yesterday and removed a lot of fixtures. I try to never work hot, so I don’t have to worry about zaps. I was removing a built in stove, and had the power off. As we were pulling the stove out, I reached down to feed the wires through the box and one of the sharp strands pricked my finger pretty good. There is always that millisecond where you think you just got zapped.

lol, That will wake you up. Or a loud bang or someone drops something soon as you get busy on the wires.

keko
    Pro

getting zapped when your young not so bad getting zapped when your older just sucks.

TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

AS an electrician I get zapped from time to time. It comes with the job. Like everyone else said usually when I am in a rush or when I do not double check to make sure the power is off. I wear gloves the majority of the time when I am working something hot. I am teaching my apprentice to double check everything before he touches it.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Gloves, always when working with anything that I think was/is/could be hot. I got to play with some of @tonyg wires just the other day.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

getting zapped when your young not so bad getting zapped when your older just sucks.

I agree, all the parts just aren’t as strong anymore.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 2.201 seconds