dcsimg

Gorilla Gripper

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 69 total)
  • Author

I use a 4 inch c- clamp with rubber pads on , it works great , and didn’t cost me a thing.

I can’t picture that. This is for lifting sheet goods we’re talking?

Took a fast picture, basically like this, it works very well. Have used this method for years, even at the shop to carry sheet metal.

redwood
    Pro

I use a 4 inch c- clamp with rubber pads on , it works great , and didn’t cost me a thing.

Took a fast picture, basically like this, it works very well. Have used this method for years, even at the shop to carry sheet metal.

I’m sure that works, but is slower to attach. Like the gorilla gripper, someone mentioned the position of carrying like that can be awkward, unless you are like Chad and really tall. The beauty of Ron’s, mine and even Kevin’s is that your arm is straight when you are carrying the sheets.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

I’m sure that works, but is slower to attach. Like the gorilla gripper, someone mentioned the position of carrying like that can be awkward, unless you are like Chad and really tall. The beauty of Ron’s, mine and even Kevin’s is that your arm is straight when you are carrying the sheets.

Ah if it is slower, your talking a second or two, don’t think that would change anything, agreed I am 6 foot do for me it’s fine, besides don’t you need two hands for your carrying methods, with the clamp, I use one hand, I’m sure they all have their pros and cons, I guess what it boils down to is what ever works for you (the person using) the tools 🙂

Doobie

Thanks for showing a pic. Now I get it. I’d be concerned that that would potentially marr the surface of the stock.

redwood
    Pro

Ah if it is slower, your talking a second or two, don’t think that would change anything, agreed I am 6 foot do for me it’s fine, besides don’t you need two hands for your carrying methods, with the clamp, I use one hand, I’m sure they all have their pros and cons, I guess what it boils down to is what ever works for you (the person using) the tools

You are right of course, whatever works. Yes, I need 2 hands with mine, but the 2nd is just a guide of sorts.

Don’t you have to actually lift the sheet up by bending your elbow? That would be OK for a sheet or 2, but there were times that I had to carry a shit load of sheets, and that just hurts thinking about it.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Thanks for showing a pic. Now I get it. I’d be concerned that that would potentially marr the surface of the stock.

As I mentioned, never had any issues, usually have a rubber pads.

Ah if it is slower, your talking a second or two, don’t think that would change anything, agreed I am 6 foot do for me it’s fine, besides don’t you need two hands for your carrying methods, with the clamp, I use one hand, I’m sure they all have their pros and cons, I guess what it boils down to is what ever works for you (the person using) the tools

You are right of course, whatever works. Yes, I need 2 hands with mine, but the 2nd is just a guide of sorts.

Don’t you have to actually lift the sheet up by bending your elbow? That would be OK for a sheet or 2, but there were times that I had to carry a shit load of sheets, and that just hurts thinking about it.

Yes, it is the same principle as the gorilla-gripper, bend the knees and lift, guess I am lucky so far, no issue with my elbow yet,

Doobie

I guess lifting big sheets is really a touchy subject. Or at least by these responses. 🙁

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I guess lifting big sheets is really a touchy subject. Or at least by these responses. :(

I certainly wouldn’t want to drop a $100 sheet of plywood…but I just lift the panel with my hands.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I used to lift them with my hands also Jon. When you get older you have to look for better ways of doing things. You will see !
    When your knees start clicking as you walk and you can only lift so high and only lift so much weight… you will see things like redwood and I.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I really like Gorilla tape and the Gorilla glue is very strong and I’m sure I’d like the Gorilla Gripper if I were needing to grip her once she was taped and glued up.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

redwood
    Pro

Here is a real body saver. For carrying a lot of things. Let your imagination run. Doesn’t work very well going on stairs though.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

woodman_412

That’s a good idea Brian. Low tech but works well. I’ll have to give that a try.

Here is a real body saver. For carrying a lot of things. Let your imagination run. Doesn’t work very well going on stairs though.

That’s a great looking rig Mark. It would work very well to move sheets over a distance like if the delivery truck can’t get close to the shop for some reason.

Dan

danpattison.com

Doobie

Is that store bought or home-made? I can think of one time in particular I would have paid happily for a unit like that.

@redwood that’s a good idea, I think you or someone else posted that before, great idea for moving material.

@woodman_412 thanks Dan.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

That is a great idea for sure, simple but effective.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Neat idea, I can see how it would not be effective on stairs.
    I’ve seen something similar used by furniture movers, just the wheels would be under the platform.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

pretty awesome

I’v never tried it but I don’t know how I would feel using it. It doesn’t look very comfortable to use, but I’m always open to trying new things.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I’v never tried it but I don’t know how I would feel using it. It doesn’t look very comfortable to use,

Could be comfortable
    Yup it’s a unit i’d like to try!!

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 69 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.457 seconds