dcsimg

Gorilla Gripper

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    woodman_412

Has anyone tried the Gorilla Gripper panel lifter? If so does it work well and do you like it? I’m thinking about getting one for the new shop for moving sheet goods around but I’d like to know how well it works especially for melamine.

Dan

danpattison.com

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

That looks like a pretty handy tool . I have never seen them until now . I cant see my self using it on a roof though .

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I have seen it advertised and wondered the same thing. I do some moving of sheet goods but always with difficulty. I’d like to hear of others’ experience.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

My friend has his cabinet shop and there is one hanging on the wall. It does not get much use as he claims it works a lot better for taller people, (He is quite short,)

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

osha approved ladder safety. But in all seriously I have not used one. I am sure they work and might be useful in some occasions. But hauling it around and trying to find it those few times might be a pain in the a

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

I don’t see myself using it on a roof either but that does look handy. Carrying sheet goods is a pain for me – if I carry sheet goods with a hand on the bottom it puts the top of the sheet over my head and I bump my head on many a door frame. So I have to squat down when I carry a sheet through a door way….this gadget would eliminate that, my have to look for one on Amazon.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I feel like I’ve seen this before, maybe on an infomercial? I think it would be a great tool to keep around as I move panels solo frequently. After the first few sheets, its starts to become more and more of a pain!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Doobie

I have had one for years and honestly, I hardly ever use it. I tend to just use those ten dollar plastic drywall handled lifters.

I’d like to know how well it works especially for melamine.

Never tried it with sheets of melamine, so I can’t really say. The contact pads are a course rubber like material, so I think they would work.

For melamine, why don’t you get those suction cup glass lifters?

They sell these which I’ve also have for many years of happy use although they are not as good suction wise as my Festool Geckos but the Geckos are over triple the price.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=32087&cat=1,43456,43389

whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

I don’t see myself using it on a roof either but that does look handy. Carrying sheet goods is a pain for me – if I carry sheet goods with a hand on the bottom it puts the top of the sheet over my head and I bump my head on many a door frame. So I have to squat down when I carry a sheet through a door way….this gadget would eliminate that, my have to look for one on Amazon.

Same here. The Gorilla Grip might be good if you are tall, or the plastic panel lifter that Doobie mentioned if you aren’t.
    Here’s a carry trick with a rope, part way down the page:
    http://www.popularwoodworking.com/projects/working-alone-with-plywood

I got one when my local lumber yard was having a special on them for 20 bucks. I find it useful in some situations moreso than handling a sheet with gloves on but it really makes you lift with one side of your body. I think the bigger use for it is to rotate a sheet’s orientation if you have it lying on a stack or just 90 degrees if you have it vertical since you don’t have to use your other hand to control it.

My height is about 6′ for reference. I think it definitely works better if you’re tall or if the sheet isn’t a full 4′.

Doobie

Looks a little bit of a task to get it in place. Not sure I would trust it either.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I feel like I’ve seen this before, maybe on an infomercial? I think it would be a great tool to keep around as I move panels solo frequently. After the first few sheets, its starts to become more and more of a pain!

I think you right Jon. Somebody posted something like these a while back.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Doobie

I got one when my local lumber yard was having a special on them for 20 bucks.

That’s cheap. Here, LV sells it for $62.50 CAD now. Can’t recall what I paid for mine years ago. Think it was forty something dollaars maybe.

It actually looks simple enough in design. You could probably build your own.

Attachments:
    whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

Ajax, ON

Looks a little bit of a task to get it in place. Not sure I would trust it either.

I think it would lift and hold ok, but as you say, perhaps fussy to get in place. The unique feature of the Gorilla Gripper is that you don’t have to lift the sheet at all to grab on to it, which is a big advantage.

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

Looks like a really handy tool. I can think of several times when I could have used a tool like that. Still working on my kitchen, I’m hauling plywood from one place to another and that tool sure would come in handy for me.
    @woodman_412: Thanks for posting about it. I’m going to look into it.

Pat

Doobie

But hauling it around and trying to find it those few times might be a pain in the a

That is one of the reasons I hardly use it. It’s faster to do without it than to go get it. The cheapo plastic lifts you can throw and leave anywhere in any temperature. The GG demands more care in that regard.

Watching the video that Dan posted kinds made me think of where I coulda been using it when I was doing the sheating on my shed recently. I managed without it, but had I thought of using it in certain ways, it could have made some material movements a fair bit easier and safer also in some instances.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Looks like a really handy tool. I can think of several times when I could have used a tool like that. Still working on my kitchen, I’m hauling plywood from one place to another and that tool sure would come in handy for me.
    @woodman_412: Thanks for posting about it. I’m going to look into it.

Dang look what the cat drug in,,,,
    What you been doing DD?

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

My friend has his cabinet shop and there is one hanging on the wall. It does not get much use as he claims it works a lot better for taller people, (He is quite short,)

well that puts me out of the market, i am not tall enough to use it lol. sorta like a ride at an amusement park, you have to be this tall to ride heh. I have seen this around but I can’t be bothered, i’d just rather move it by hand rather than look for where i last put that thing.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Looks handy to me too. For me it is tough moving a panel by myself. Just no real comfortable way to grip it.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I think it would lift and hold ok, but as you say, perhaps fussy to get in place. The unique feature of the Gorilla Gripper is that you don’t have to lift the sheet at all to grab on to it, which is a big advantage.

Looks like a tool to make life a little easier for lifting but for someone with wrist issues would have a problem with it.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 69 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.807 seconds