dcsimg

Bosch BLAZE GLM 20 Laser Measure Review

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

This is the Laser Measuring device you want to have with you

The Bosch BLAZE GLM 20 Laser Measure is small and compact.The Bosch Blaze GLM 20 laser measure is a compact, handheld measuring device perfect for homeowners, estimators, and the clever contractor. It’s small (4”x1.5”x1”) and light (a few ounces max), and easily fits into a pocket, backpack or tool box, so it can go anywhere with you. It’s also really simple to use. There’s just one button that turns it on and off, and the same button allows you to take continuous measurements, or save one or two to refer to later. It also lets you toggle between inches/ feet and inches/ or metric units. And that’s it. There’s nothing complicated about it, but it’s uses are varied depending on how creative you get! In many instances the GLM 20 laser measure can replace your tape measure, and in many more it can do things that a standard tape can not. It has a 65 foot range which I have found to be perfect for indoor and even some outdoor uses.

Bosch GLM 20 laser measure replaces your tape measure, well almost…

Whether that’s getting dimensions of a room for a flooring repair, or figuring out the height of a vaulted ceiling, I cut out the hassle of a standard tape measure and have all the accuracy I needThe Bosch BLAZE GLM 20 Laser Measure up close. (down to ⅛”). The limitations on the GLM 20 laser measure is that you have to be able to point the red dot at something, so outside corners can be difficult, but even that can be overcome if you attach a piece of paper to the corner and sight the beam onto it. I do wish you could control the backlight for the display since there are times when it would be nice to have it stay on when working in dim environments. But I’ve been really happy with this tool and how easy it is to use and am glad to have it in my back pocket.

What the GLM 20 laser measure is best for

The Bosch BLAZE GLM 20 Laser Measure lighted display.What I have really liked it for are circumstances where I am measuring across a distance that’s unsupported. For instance – along walls at shoulder height or above (even stiff tapes are really no good for more than about ten feet at most), straight up to get ceiling heights or roof overhangs. I’ve even done a little bit of creative measuring where I had a hole I needed to patch right up under an eave, and instead of having to pull out the 24’ ladder and a tape, I just sighted the roof height above the hole and the truss height below the hole and subtracted the two to get a ballpark figure for my patch piece. Using that method, I could estimate repair materials from the ground just by using features around the area and a little thought. And carrying the GLM 20 laser measure was a whole lot less work than a ladder.

GLM 20 laser measure final thoughts

The Bosch BLAZE GLM 20 Laser Measure in useThis isn’t going to replace a tape measure for many standard measuring uses. You can’t measure edge to edge of something as easily or accurately, but for anything you need to estimate, this tool saves a lot of time and is reasonably priced. I never would have guessed how much I could use it, but since I got it I’ve been reaching for it more and more! Thanks to Be The Pro for sending me one to try out – this is a great, simple little tool that makes life just that much easier.

For more on the Bosch BLAZE GLM 20 Laser Measure, click here.

The Bosch BLAZE GLM 20 Laser Measure in pocket.

Bosch BLAZE GLM 20 Laser Measure in action.     Bosch BLAZE GLM 20 Laser Measure with lighted display.     Bosch BLAZE GLM 20 Laser Measure.     Bosch BLAZE GLM 20 Laser Measure in use.

Charlie

Instagram

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Great write up @cmeyer25.
    I have the predecessor to this model and from what I can see the only difference is the back lit screen?
    I really like my little laser measure for use in and round the home.

I have the larger GLM 40 at work, would really like to get the GML 100C as that would cover distances that are requires for cable runs.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

very informative, I can live without the back lit screen. I use my glm15 bosch laser measuring device all the time. Makes it easier than using a tape measure.

@cmeyer25 thanks for taking the time for a nice review and write up,
    You have used it for some good uses,
    I have two models, the glm15 and the dlr130 both are very good,
    Still use a tape measure though,
    But definitely great for many different forms of measurement as you mentioned.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Nice review.

I have the larger GLM 40 at work, would really like to get the GML 100C as that would cover distances that are requires for cable runs.

I have the GLM100C and do like it a lot. The extended distance was one of my main draws to that model. It does way more feature wise than I know how to use.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I also have the GLM 100. While it has a lot of features that I do not use, I find it saves a lot of time measuring to create plans for remodels and making long measurements. We used it a lot on one job to measure 20+ foot lengths for metal studs under a sloped roof where every stud length was different. It saved a lot of time.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Thanks everyone, I was really surprised by this tool-I didn’t realize how much I would come to like it and even prefer it to a tape for the things it can be used to do. I’d love to hear more about what some of the other models have to offer for their features and how accurate they are. It would seem if you’re using it for measuring for construction purposes then they’d have to be pretty dead on.

Charlie

Instagram

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

One of my next things that I need to get. Thanks for the write up.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Great review, thanks for sharing with us

Oh wow the GLM 20 actually looks amazing! I have kind of been between the GLM 20 and GLM 35, but it seems like the GLM 20 will be enough for me. Planning to use it indoors as well thank you!

Cory
    -----------
    Laser Measure Reviews

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Oh wow the GLM 20 actually looks amazing! I have kind of been between the GLM 20 and GLM 35, but it seems like the GLM 20 will be enough for me. Planning to use it indoors as well thank you!

It’s a great laser measure, and a good price too. I did a quick check, and the GLM35 is about $80 most places but I did find it on eBay for $55, so if you need the longer distance and added features, for only $5 more that could be a good option too.

Glad you found the review helpful!

And also, welcome to the forum 🙂

Charlie

Instagram

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.378 seconds