dcsimg

Getting fence estimate

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

We made a similar fence to protect our dog from running out into the street. I also had little experience in the field of fence construction, and I didn’t even know what it was better to make it out of. I thought something made of steel would do. We had to make sure that the dog could not get through the gap from the gate for the car. We called a professional for the installation of automatic gates https://everlastgates.com/austin-texas-automatic-gate-repair-installation/, who helped us choose the suitable materials based on our budget and changed the gates to modern ones. This is almost a monolithic gate, and the dog will not be able to climb through it or jump over it in any way.

Theyre a complete nuisance. For this, I need to bring imported medicine. They invaded my materials, which I also looked at several times. šŸ™

I’m in Canada , I’ve had more problems with carpenter ants than termites where I live , I’ve also used spray to control them , seems to work , but I think next year , I will have to have a licensed terminator come in for the problem , looks like our government is putting a hold on selling chemicals to the general public or home owners ,
    I just bought 4 bottles of the product ,

I also saw a product on the internet , it’s called post protect , looks pretty interesting , I think it’s not going to stop termites , but it’s definitely going to combat ground rot and possibly be very easy to replace the post if needed ,

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

The chemical that I have found to be useful in controlling termites (and carpenter ants) is fipronil. This is the active ingredient in the product Termidor which many termite companies use.

The reason it is not very effective in spray form is you really need a continuous barrier of this stuff soaked into the soil. Subterranean termites lives in the soil, rotten tree roots and move around looking for food, they invade the wood from the inside out, and get inside your sidings and walls typically not visible to you (except in some cases the mud tubes). Down here they either dig a trench 6″ deep around the property or structure, or drill holes through pavers or concrete every 18″ to shoot the chemicals deep down below.

Another issue is the chemicals they use for pressure treating lumber nowadays. There have been more and more regulations on what chemicals to use. So the PT lumber you buy 20 years ago can resist rot and insects much more effectively then today, at least that’s the case in the USA. Nowaday there are two grades of PT lumber, like when you buy a PT 2X4 you can buy Ground Contact PT which has the harsher chemicals, or regular weathershield PT which has the milder stuff.

When setting in concrete I always shape the concrete into a pyramid or dome to let water run off the wood posts, or else it will rot right at grade in a few years.

Hangman
    Pro

Personally if the materials are more expensive, Iā€™m more expensive. Cedar fences are worth the investment, they last a long time and stand up and repel pests.

The master has failed more times than the disciple has ever tried.

Over 25 years experience from NYC

https://www.instagram.com/gothichangman/

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.188 seconds